• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Onboard NIC tanked?

Hi,

So after ive left for a few days off, coming back, to have my PC without internet while cables are connected, lights are blinking and even my phone able to use it's wireless in the house. After some investigation and hours of hours of testing, i've discovered that my onboard NIC might be toast completely. The lights blink upon inserting a UTP, and the router is doing the same thing, but the bios does'nt detect the thing at all, let alone the device being listed in Windows 10.

I've attempted nummerous amounts of (software) tweaks and all that to get it working, the device is'nt just there anymore. All system info tools that i have list no hardware at all related to the network. So i've disabled the onboard lan, reboot, enabled, nothing. Ive dumped the power, removed the battery for a good hour, nothing. Updated even it's bios to the latest 2019 one (Asus X470-F), nothing.

So in the event of a lockdown headed out to buy a wireless Asus card, since the store did'nt had any NIC related hardware. They dont sell anymore i guess.

So is the onboard nic tanked now? Anyone else have a clue what might happen? The NIC was for a while 'erratic', where some streams would end up in a vague connection error, but after a restart or reboot of the application, work fine again. The system is completely stock; i dont see anything of this causing that.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So is the onboard nic tanked now? Anyone else have a clue what might happen? The NIC was for a while 'erratic', where some streams would end up in a vague connection error, but after a restart or reboot of the application, work fine again. The system is completely stock; i dont see anything of this causing that.
Likely tanked.. yes.

What might happen? The same thing that is happening... it continues not to work. What may have happened...who knows... you said it was wonky so the writing was in the wall it was on its way out.

Why not order one (nkc/wifi card) online instead of going out and risking exposure...

Because i cant wait 2 days without internet, really, i have my own business for 13+ years, and which involves having internet and access to 13 servers.

But this is the first time my NIC tanked out on me, esp from a premium board like Asus. It's a Intel NIC. Perhaps it suffers from the same ATOM bug those NUC's had; a too high constant voltage that would destroy the CPU from booting up at all.

If that was true, I'd imagine we'd see a lot more of this issue. :)

Be safe.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
I've seen it though it's rare. I keep a spare pcie gigabit nic just incase

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
No, i dont think it has anything todo with that. I already done lots of those steps, network reset, you name it. Its just that the whole device is'nt showing up anymore in Device manager, even with show hidden devices switched on. Normally you could from within the bios, actually check for latest bios updates if you have internet. Well it was connected but it was'nt working at all.

So i'm not sure why this happend; all i can think of is that the onboard 1GB NIC is simply tanked, ive disabled it / re-enabled it, updates it's bios, reset the whole thing again, and have 'nothing'.

I have'nt tested with another OS or disk or so, but im pretty sure that would show the same situation. I mean if you cant see it within the BIOS, how is other software going to?

Edit: great. 200mbit connection, only able to use up to 15mbit down and 8mbit up.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
No, i dont think it has anything todo with that. I already done lots of those steps, network reset, you name it. Its just that the whole device is'nt showing up anymore in Device manager, even with show hidden devices switched on. Normally you could from within the bios, actually check for latest bios updates if you have internet. Well it was connected but it was'nt working at all.

So i'm not sure why this happend; all i can think of is that the onboard 1GB NIC is simply tanked, ive disabled it / re-enabled it, updates it's bios, reset the whole thing again, and have 'nothing'.

I have'nt tested with another OS or disk or so, but im pretty sure that would show the same situation. I mean if you cant see it within the BIOS, how is other software going to?

Edit: great. 200mbit connection, only able to use up to 15mbit down and 8mbit up.
The NIC doesn't normally show up in the UEFI/BIOS, beyond an enable/disable option. Maybe you have some feature in the UEFI that lists your PCIe devices?
I presume that's where you've enabled and disabled it as well? It really seems like it's died, I mean, it's not impossible for that to happen.
Plenty of NIC's still available, but maybe not in a small local computer shop.

There's a Boot from NIC option too; but thats not working. I assume the device is not being recognized and thus not being utilized by the bios in the first place.

I've tested everything i could; it's simply not working anymore the way it was. As i said i had weeks where it was completely erratic and losing connections and all that. The bus was'nt OC'ed too; all stock.

I might attempt one more thing, with a live cd or so, but if that does'nt work either them i'm 10000% confident it's a broken piece of hardware.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Try a Linux live boot and see if it finds the nic

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I've seen it though it's rare. I keep a spare pcie gigabit nic just incase
Me too. My HTPC gets alot of streaming. Onboard died a year ago, so I ordered two add-ins (to have a spare) with two parts each.

This weekend the add-in died, midstream. The other port works though so I’m trucking on. Its a w10 Home version. Kinda wondering it its something to do with 10. Anyway, glad to see its not totally rare.

Note to self, time to order another so I have 2 spares again.

Perhaps the quality control of Intel for example is'nt what it used to be anymore. You'd expect a NIC functioning a lifetime. I know server parts can blow out sporadicly but you cant compare a home based NIC doing a maximum of 200mbit instead of 1GB to crap out. I had all my UTP wires going through the UPS for surge protection. Shoud'nt cause an issue either.

Maybe a mass issue, but i doubt it. Everything is well grounded here.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Cooling AMD Stealth
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Last time I had it was on an Abit ip35 pro

Perhaps the quality control of Intel for example is'nt what it used to be anymore. You'd expect a NIC functioning a lifetime. I know server parts can blow out sporadicly but you cant compare a home based NIC doing a maximum of 200mbit instead of 1GB to crap out. I had all my UTP wires going through the UPS for surge protection. Shoud'nt cause an issue either.

Maybe a mass issue, but i doubt it. Everything is well grounded here.
Shit happens man... even the best QC and quality products have duds. Chalk it up to that and move on. :)

Ill buy a ethernet based NIC soon enough; its just shit, wireless. De-values the motherboard too now. :D

So yeah, there's a warranty thing going on, i just have to bring back the computer for them to analyse and file in a replacement. Apart from that, i was fighting with the wireless internet here now for a few hours. The thing was: on 2.4GHz it would only do 13mbit. When i managed to have it blasting on 5GHz it would top at 93mbit and finalising with a typical router chrash (the wireless was'nt responding at all at any given download peak). Once i applied hardware NAT to disabled, everything works as it should: https://www.speedtest.net/result/9263570387

The upload is a bit at the soft side, should be 20mbit and not 12, but it's OK. Getting the full speed out of my internet over wireless now, satisfied. Hopefully the wireless is as stable as it should be.