• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[PC Speakers] First 2.0/2.1 decent speaker set - 300$

Hi everyone,

Looking to upgrade my speaker set.
Currently using the Klipsch ProMedia Heritage 2.1 (got them on sale for 180$ a few months ago), which sound really nice but I feel like they are lacking a bit.

I am looking to replace my current setup with a better one.
I was recommended the following combo:

And I've got a few questions about it..

1. I've never had a separate amp before, what would be the best way to connect it to my PC?
    I see a "PC-USB" connection on the amp, but I assume that's not for audio transmitting.
  2. Since they both cost the same, which do you recommend? I don't mind getting the refurbished JBL pair if they are better than the Klipsch.
  3. For a subwoofer, does that amp / setup support Klipsch's wireless subwoofers?
    Namely the R-12SWi which often goes on sale for like 199$ at Costco. It disappeared from their website but in case it returns, wondering if it's a good one to add to my setup later down the road.

Any other recommendations are welcome :)

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Im not entirely sure.

The way your Klipsch set is designed. Having that Aiyima amp will do nothing for you (depending how you hook everything up...) as your speakers already has its own built in amp (located in the subwoofer)

If you buy the Aiyiama, you'll still be able to use the individual satellite speakers themselves. but you might need to source a different subwoofer. I mean it might work but since the sub has its own amp. Im not sure it will function well on its own like that but im no audio buff. basically, buy a cable for the sub and run everything off the Aiyiama and see what happens - It could work out very well.

What do you find lacking? because you could easily keep the heritage set satellite speakers running without the sub. Just buy a different sub and the Aiyima amp.

If its high end youre lacking then you could look at replacing the speakers that it comes with the heritage set to see what happens. Just match up the ohm rating of the speakers.

1. PC-USB is there to be hooked up and used with your computer or laptop - it turns the setup into USB speakers.

2. Dont know, Sound is very subjective. Either find a place where you can listen and hear the speakers first before purchasing or ask the retailer about their returns policy in case you dont get on with them. Here in the UK there is normally a two or three week grace period (but normally two) where you can return something for a refund or exchange if you weren't completely satisfied with your purchase. Although some retailers might not like that so much and their their sweet ass time to process a refund or return...call it malicious compliance.

3. The Aiyama will work with the R-125Wi as the R-125Wi comes with its own transmitter. Just hook everything up.

Not sure i like the idea of a wireless subwoofer though cuz latency but its your choice.

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Dunno man, Klipsch are kind of famous with sound, I'd love to own some of their stuff. What exactly you are not happy with your current setup? Is it the vocal clarity? Not enough bass? Distorted sound not true to the original source? JBL has their own "thing" some say, you either like it or not. There are plenty of reviews there for both your choices. Seems like the JBL will require to play with the EQ a bit, if you want "plug-and-play" solution might not be the right thing.

JBL Studio 530 Review.

Klipsch are kind of famous with sound
They are really not bad at all, especially for the price!
They won't be wasted either - I'll be moving my current setup to my fiancée, so they'll continue living on.
What exactly you are not happy with your current setup?
I really can't say. It's not distorted or anything.
I'm not a n audiophile, but it's just not.. enough.

The Klipsch RP-160M's are being sold for 170$ right now, a bit cheaper than the JBL's and since I did like the ProMedia Heritage I guess I'll continue with Klipsch and see how it goes.

Do you recommend a different amp, perhaps?
I'd prefer something from Newegg / BestBuy / Amazon / B&H rather than Walmart, just for convenience.

EDIT: The same amp is being sold for 255$ on Newegg, quite the price difference. I guess Walmart is fine :p
Is it a good amp or should I be looking at something else?
I really have no idea when it comes to amps.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I may have not explained myself correctly, but I am not looking to add additional speakers to my current setup. I am looking to completely replace it :)

Hard to pinpoint exactly what it is.
I used to own the Z906 and they just sounded better overall.

I wasnt talking about adding additional speakers - I was talking about replacing your entire set either partially or completely and using the Aiyima D03 to run them.

In any case. Try tweaking the crossover levels if you havent tried already maybe too much bass is bleeding into your satellites and messing about with the sound.

I am looking to replace my current setup with a better one.
I was recommended the following combo:
I don't think I've seen any reviews of that particular amp but Aiyima generally get really good reviews so it should be solid.

Of those speakers I'd go with the JBL. The Studio series get lots of praise and that particular Klipsch is not something I've seen anyone look at before. Another one you should take a look at is the KEF Q150, being a coaxial design is a big advantage of desk nearfiled use. Its a bit more but currently they are on sale for $300 which is a pretty good deal.

Speaking of desktop nearfiled make sure you have room for speakers like this on your desk as their quite a bit larger than the ProMedia sats you are coming from so they'll need a bit of space for them to sound properly (the KEF largely get around this issue being coaxial).