• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PCI-SIG Releases PCI Express M.2 Specification Revision 1.0

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
PCI-SIG, the organization responsible for the widely adopted PCI Express (PCIe) industry-standard input/output (I/O) technology, today announced the release of the PCIe M.2 Specification Revision 1.0 to its members. A next-generation form factor for ultra-light and thin platforms, the latest M.2 architecture increases design flexibility to support high-end performance and enhanced data rates for power-constrained platforms. In addition, it enables the higher integration of functions onto a single form factor module solution.

As a natural progression from PCIe Mini Card and PCIe Half Mini Card, the smaller M.2 form factor is designed to meet future market requirements for applications in thin mobile platforms, such as tablets, portable gaming devices, smartphones and devices requiring SSDs. Its extensible design provides scalability for multiple technologies and host interfaces, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SSD and WWAN.

"As users switch from legacy PCs to compact mobile devices, their demand for robust and power-efficient computing platforms endures," said Al Yanes, PCI-SIG chairman and president. "The M.2 form factor offers tunable I/O technology, allowing developers to create the optimal balance of power and performance in their platform implementations."

The new M.2 specification allows for the manufacturing of larger PCBs, maximizing the use of the card space and leaving behind a minimal footprint. The specification also helps to address the demand for mobile device I/O solutions with new specifications targeted at ultra-light and thin platforms.

Revision 1.0 M.2 connectors support both single- and double-sided module cards and are available in connectorized or soldered-down forms. The connectorized forms allow single-sided modules for low profile solutions, or dual-sided modules for increased integration within the platform. All soldered-down module cards are single-sided and are intended for use in low profile applications.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i