• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Price per Performance Air Cooler.

Which one? Comment if you have any other ideas.

• Dark rock 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arctic Freezer 34 duo

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

ligedal

Hi,

I am going to buy a DIY cooling solution for my upcoming CPU upgrade. (r7 2700x to a r7 5800x.)

I would like the best balanced price to acoustics, aesthetics, cooling and overclocking potential. I have browsed for the best price to performance alternative, and I have found that, in my location (scythe fuma 2 is not available for a decent price in sweden), the choice is between a Dark rock 4 for $60 or an Arctic Freezer 34 duo for $40. I am still torn between the options and would appreciate others opinions.

To clarify further, I am not interested in water cooling solutions due to both me having occupied the space with case fans, and also because of longevity.

Case is Phanteks P400A.

Thanks in advance.

Dark rock 4: https://www.amazon.de/quiet-Top-Flow-Prozessorlüfter-BK021-schwarz/dp/B07BYP9S95/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=be+quiet&qid=1603986103&sr=8-3
Arctic Freezer 34 duo: https://www.amazon.de/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-Gehäuselüfter-Prozessorlüfter/dp/B07ZJHXQNS?th=1

Last edited:
System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
i am a fan of air cooling but for little bit more there is this if ya can get it in sweden.

i have the older shadow rock4 and i dont like it

if only the 2 options i go with arctic

Last edited:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
The Arctic is good value. Keep in mind that the Dark Rock 4 has potential RAM compatibility issues on mainstream boards; make sure you have enough height clearance for your DIMMs. The fan may overhang the first DIMM slot, and depending on cooler height clearance in your case you may not be able to shift the fan "up" by much before you hit the side panel. Ironically, the larger Dark Rock Pro 4 doesn't have this problem.

If you have a 4 DIMM board on which you're only using 2 slots, you should be fine, but it's something to check before you buy.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -50 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I don't think you can go wrong either way. but if you are going to spend 60 on dark rock, i'd really try to encourage you to get a noctua instead. u12S for 59 - the quality is just better, and Noctua as a company has amazing customer service if you lose a screw or something.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Links would have been nice.

Arctic Freezer 34

Dark Rock Pro 4

IMO, this is not a fair comparison when twice, you put "price" ahead of all other criteria and with the Dark Rock costing 50% more than the Arctic, based on your top criteria, the Arctic is a shoe-in.

Fan noise is a major factor for me. I hate fan noise. So for me, the answer is obvious, the Dark Rock is much quieter. I note you mentioned acoustics too.

Plus, you didn't tell what case this will be going in. So as tabascosauz suggests, size (of either one) may be a problem.

I am not a fan (no pun intended) of water cooling for several reasons. Yes, you typically can get cooler temps but cooler does not automatically mean better. As long as your processor's temps stay comfortably within its normal operating range, cooler temps get you nothing but bragging rights. There is nothing to suggest a CPU running at 25°C will perform better, be more stable, or have a longer lifespan than a CPU running at 50°C.

Plus, leaks happens. There may be a factory defect or leaks can occur through accidents or abuse. And for sure, hoses can become brittle and crack over time.

Last, radiators use fans. Fans create fan noise and I really hate fan noise.

ligedal

I don't think you can go wrong either way. but if you are going to spend 60 on dark rock, i'd really try to encourage you to get a noctua instead. u12S for 59 - the quality is just better, and Noctua as a company has amazing customer service if you lose a screw or something.

I understand your reasoning for the noctua. However, I firstly consider it to be hideous and secondly it costs closer to $90 here in sweden.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I've been using Arctic for close to two decades without a problem. I don't overclock anymore and when I did it was just run-of-the-mill air cooled oc. Some don't like Arctic because they use proprietary fans (legit concern), but I have yet to have a fan act up.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps

Arctic Freezer 34

Dark Rock Pro 4

IMO, this is not a fair comparison when twice, you put "price" ahead of all other criteria and with the Dark Rock costing 50% more than the Arctic, based on your top criteria, the Arctic is a shoe-in.

Fan noise is a major factor for me. I hate fan noise. So for me, the answer is obvious, the Dark Rock is much quieter. I note you mentioned acoustics too.

Plus, you didn't tell what case this will be going in. So as tabascosauz suggests, size (of either one) may be a problem.

I am not a fan (no pun intended) of water cooling for several reasons. Yes, you typically can get cooler temps but cooler does not automatically mean better. As long as your processor's temps stay comfortably within its normal operating range, cooler temps get you nothing but bragging rights. There is nothing to suggest a CPU running at 25°C will perform better, be more stable, or have a longer lifespan than a CPU running at 50°C.

Plus, leaks happens. There may be a factory defect or leaks can occur through accidents or abuse. And for sure, hoses can become brittle and crack over time.

Worth noting that OP is talking about the cheaper Dark Rock 4, not the Dark Rock Pro 4. It's $75 vs the $90 of the DRP4. The Artic Freezer Esports 34 Duo is $50. OP, it might be worth checking out the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B. Same price as the Arctic and have heard great things about its bang for the buck.

Just saw OP's comment about being located in Sweden, guess that invalidates any price comparisons in USD I can offer

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -50 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I understand your reasoning for the noctua. However, I firstly consider it to be hideous and secondly it costs closer to $90 here in sweden.

depends on your budget then, lot of great coolers out there for 60-70 bucks. if you are on a tight budget then arctic for sure.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
unless you must buy one now why not wait until reviews come out for the 5800x and see how hot it gets?

ligedal

Arctic Freezer 34

Dark Rock Pro 4

Noted. Links would have helped.

Also, it is not the dark rock pro 4, which is a lot more expensive and too large for my case (p400a).

I might have phrased my intentions wrong, since I am completely fine with spending more money for adequate more overall performance. However I am unsure if the dark rock 4 provides $20 (meaning equal value) or greater worth of features.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps

Also, it is not the dark rock pro 4, which is a lot more expensive and too large for my case (p400a).

I might have phrased my intentions wrong, since I am completely fine with spending more money for adequate more overall performance. However I am unsure if the dark rock 4 provides $20 (meaning equal value) or greater worth of features.
I have the Dark Rock 4 and am quite happy with it. You definitely pay extra for the bequiet brand name, but in my opinion that's not a bad thing. Installation is a breeze, it looks very clean, and it's essentially silent.

Edit: While performance isn't exactly the same, I viewed it as a way to get a premium air cooler without having to pay Noctua's color tax for the chromax edition. Also, the long-ass screwdriver bequiet includes for the installation is awesome, I get a lot of use out of it.

Last edited:
Case fancier than yours

I have the same case, the dark rock will be right up against your glass. That said the dark rock is the better cooler and in my opinion worth the $20 for the better fan (less noise) and two extra heat pipes if you plan to do any OC. If not the artic is fine and a good cooler in its own category.

ligedal

depends on your budget then, lot of great coolers out there for 60-70 bucks. if you are on a tight budget then arctic for sure.

Well, I disagree. Because of weird prices in sweden due to mostly tax, and uneven shipping costs, I haven't found a lot of coolers that noticably out performs the Arctic 34 duo, within that price range. Except possibly the one i mentioned.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Sorry about the Pro vs regular Dark Rock.

Again, this is why links would have helped.

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15

Arctic Freezer 34

Dark Rock Pro 4

There is a Dark Rock non pro that is more in line.

For 60 there's alot of options. Alot of people swear by thermalright in that range. I think for 60, Fuma 2 (https://www.amazon.com/Original-Design-Towers-Cooler-SCFM-2000/dp/B07QMK5R45) is the best. I have Fuma Rev B which is pretty much the same and it cools alittle better than my noctua d14 (at a tiny bit higher noise).

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
There is a Dark Rock non pro that is more in line.

For 60 there's alot of options. Alot of people swear by thermalright in that range. I think for 60, Fuma 2 (https://www.amazon.com/Original-Design-Towers-Cooler-SCFM-2000/dp/B07QMK5R45) is the best. I have Fuma Rev B which is pretty much the same and it cools alittle better than my noctua d14 (at a tiny bit higher noise).
Issue is the FUMA is priced at the swedish krona equivalent of $110, according to PCPP anyway. The Mugen 5 Rev B is priced at $75 equivalent. OP, do chime in here if my google currency conversions are horribly off

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Issue is the FUMA is priced at the swedish krona equivalent of $110, according to PCPP anyway. The Mugen 5 Rev B is priced at $75 equivalent. OP, do chime in here if my google currency conversions are horribly off
He says it in the first post that he can't get a Fuma 2 at a decent price over there.

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk x570
Cooling Thermalright
Memory 32 gb 3200mhz E die
Video Card(s) 3080
Storage 2tb nvme
Display(s) 165hz 1440p
Case Fractal Define R5
Power Supply Toughpower 850 platium
Mouse HyperX Hyperfire Pulse
Keyboard EVGA Z15
gosh its buried in a parenthesis, sorry didn't see...

between those two then I go with Arctic as I don't think the dark rock is 20 dollars better.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
@ligedal what about the Shadow Rock 3? If my googling is correct, it comes to about 63 USD vs the 50 USD of the Arctic. Not as expensive as the DR4 but if I had to guess (haven't looked into this cooler that much, so take my speculation with a grain of salt) it'd perform better the the Arctic

Although if the DR4 is 60USD equivalent (as mentioned in the OP) and you had to pick between SR3 and DR4 because price is the same, the DR4 should win out

ligedal

You are pretty close. The fuma 2 is around $90 at least where as the Mugen 5 can be found on german amazon for around $50. However I think the Arctic is on par or even out performs mugen 5, but i might be wrong.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Case Lian Li Lancool III
You are pretty close. The fuma 2 is around $90 at least where as the Mugen 5 can be found on german amazon for around $50. However I think the Arctic is on par or even out performs mugen 5, but i might be wrong.
Gotcha. So basically, I shouldn't be using Swedish PCPP as it's not accurate. Haven't looked into the Arctic vs. Mugen 5 so can't say for sure one way or the other which is better

Case fancier than yours
Mugen is more on par with the Dark Rock 4 than the Artic freezer 34. From what I can recall it was very CPU dependent as some reviews were great and others said it was average. From my own experience with Scythe fans, they offer very good performance for the money but can whine at max rpm.

Last edited:
System Name R9 5950x/Skylake 6400
Processor R9 5950x/i5 6400
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master X570/Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360/Stock
Memory 4x8GB Patriot PVS416G4440 CL14/G.S Ripjaws 32 GB F4-3200C16D-32GV
Video Card(s) 7900XTX/6900XT
Storage RIP Seagate 530 4TB (died after 7 months), WD SN850 2TB, Aorus 2TB, Corsair MP600 1TB / 960 Evo 1TB
Display(s) 3x LG 27gl850 1440p
Case Custom builds
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply Silverstone 1000watt modular Gold/1000Watt Antec
Software Win11pro/win10pro / Win10 Home / win7 / wista 64 bit and XPpro