• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 9800 Pro

justdave

Hi all,

A few days ago my comp decided it was going to start rebooting at random and inconvenient times (fuckin annoying :). I figured it was an overheating problem, had a quick look inside but there was nothing obvious wrong. Given I've not done any overclocking lately and the system has been stable for so long I didn't think there should be a problem.

Earlier tonight it happened again so I had another look and the fan from my gfx card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro) had melted onto the top of my wireless card which is sat underneath it. :/ The heatsink had got so hot that the fan had gone black around the screw holes where it's strapped onto the heatsink and the rest had melted and warped, so it's fucked basically.

First question... I've made a makeshift fan out of an old case fan which is sitting underneath the card now - will that be enough to prevent damaging the card? I've also underclocked the card quite a bit (to 150mhz from 338mhz).

Second question... What cooling solution for the card would people recommend? I don't really fancy watercooling it for expense and hassle reasons, but at the same time I don't want to air cool it only to have the same thing happen again. I don't understand why it would happen at all given that I've changed nothing inside it for about 6 months, so surely it should be stable.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

d.

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Last edited:

justdave

Cheers - it's bought :)

The fan is screwed onto the heatsink tho - I had three screws that held the fan directly onto the heatsink. Thinking about it I had my wireless card pretty close to it (one slot in between them) so that probably restricted the air flow around the card.

Ta for your advice.

d.

C&C Freak 2K

If you have enough slots, you should move the card directly underneath the video card down by one then mount a slot cooler.