• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Redfall Developers Working on Removal of Single-Player Always Online Restriction

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Arkane Studios will be working on the removal of the single-player always online restriction from its upcoming Redfall first-person shooter game. This follows significant backlash expressed by gamers, after the presence of this function was brought to light in February 2023. In an interview conducted by Eurogamer, game director Harvey Smith has revealed that the Austin, Texas-based branch has taken the negative feedback seriously. The development team is active in making changes to Redfall's underpinnings, so that an offline single-player experience becomes a possibility.

Smith acknowledged that modern games are intrinsically linked to online services, but these should offer functionality when offline circumstances occur. He imagined situations from the perspective of being a potential Redfall player: "They could say: 'Oh, my God, you're always online. If you get on your Steam, and it's not online, you freak out. If you get on your Xbox, and you can't get the latest patch, or see what your friends are doing, you freak out. You want to be always online!' But that response, I think, lacks empathy."

"There are people who live in places where there are outages or their broadband is shitty, or they're competing with their family members, because their mum's streaming a movie or their brother's on another device. And so I think it is a legitimate critique." He reaffirms that Arkane Studios Austin will try to act on gamer community requests, even at late stages in a game's development: "We do take it with a lot of empathy," Smith said. "We listen. And we have already started work to address this in the future. We have to do some things like encrypt your save games and do a bunch of UI work to support it. And so we are looking into - I'm not supposed to promise anything - but we're looking into and working actively toward fixing that in the future."

The always online nature of the game was a key design choice according to Smith, but he was quick to confirm that microsanctions and an in-game store are not part of the equation. He says that their systems will be focusing on player analytics - automated feedback is key to finding and making fixes once the game goes live: "It allows us to do some accessibility stuff. It allows us for telemetry, like - if everybody's falling off ladders and dying, holy shit that shows up. And so we can go and tweak the ladder code. There are reasons we set out to do that that are not insidious."

It is interesting to note that Smith makes no mention of the single-player always online restriction being annulled in time for the game's launch on May 3. It is somewhat ironic that the changes could be patched via an online channel - be it Steam, Epic Games Launcher, or the Xbox Live Dashboard.

Harvey Smith started his games development career at Origin Systems in the mid-nineties, and has contributed to a number of highly acclaimed titles since then, with tenures served at several award-winning studios. A couple of these games count as all-time fan favorites: System Shock (1994), Deus Ex (2000), Thief: Deadly Shadows (2004), Dishonored (2012) and Prey (2017).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

On one hand, I understand the ideal behind having a single-player game connect to a server for updates and patches; prevents things like legacy PS1/PS2/early PC games going live with gamebreaking bugs that may or may not be bypassed.

On the other, it really shouldn't be anything more than at startup, checking for the latest patch and trading error codes, and only when saving, if cloud saves are enabled. But otherwise, if no network is detected, just goes straight to the main menu, and offline saves will be backed up on the next startup. There's no need for a mandatory always-on component in a pure single-player game outside of optional cloud save/patch update functions.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
Players of single player games sometimes want to not use a new patch. This is not a MMO.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Yeah always online is bad enough, but I also hate the game is a service model where there is a patch every week for eternity where the dev is never satisfied with the state of the game.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
Yeah, having a game that actually works without internet is always a good thing. I hope they get that sorted.

ir_cow

Staff member
"Working" Right. Just don't have it. Can't be that hard just not to program it in lol.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Devs still didnt learn from City:Skylines fiasco, but its good to see its being corrected. Prolly wont see this update for 6 months.,

D

Deleted member 177333

On one hand, I understand the ideal behind having a single-player game connect to a server for updates and patches; prevents things like legacy PS1/PS2/early PC games going live with gamebreaking bugs that may or may not be bypassed.

On the other, it really shouldn't be anything more than at startup, checking for the latest patch and trading error codes, and only when saving, if cloud saves are enabled. But otherwise, if no network is detected, just goes straight to the main menu, and offline saves will be backed up on the next startup. There's no need for a mandatory always-on component in a pure single-player game outside of optional cloud save/patch update functions.
Well-said.

While I have no interest whatsoever in this game, I do want to applaud the company for taking the feedback from gamers seriously. This is the kind of thing that will at least build some good-will with potential customers.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
Yeah, the question is why it is such a big deal to remove this requirement, presumably for their programmers. Should be as simple as commenting out some section of the code.

Chances are that they are working on aggressive copy protection.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Closest comparison I can think of for a game I have played is lightning returns.

Officially you didnt need to be online to play it on the consoles, but they did have online exclusive features that after a year were abandoned. The eventual PC release had the online code gutted out, the consoles supposedly had it disabled but can tell playing it many years later today they kind of only partially doing it lazily.

Loading the game today on console even if you online it will report an unknown error when trying to connect to the online servers, if you are actually offline when you launch it will disable the DLC, so they decided to keep some kind of DRM server online. But will let you play on without penalty if you go offline whilst playing. The PC version doesnt have the online requirement for DLC items, or the unknown error, as they seem to have properly removed it in that version.