• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reinsert Steam Game Install Files on C Drive

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Ran out of space on my devoted game drive for installs. Which contains all of my save files etc and is set as the de facto Steam install location. A single approximately 200GB install found semi-permanent place on 1TB NVMe OS drive. Before continuing with what I believe to be a solid order of operation allowing reinstallation of W11 and avoids a large download. Just want to confirm with those having success with installs spread across numerous drives the safest and most efficient procedure in this situation.

1. Copy entire Steam folder in x86 Programs to external drive - Install W11/Steam - Copy install back to exact same location on C drive
2. Mount SATA HDD and direct Steam to move install to it - Install W11/Steam - Direct Steam to move install back to original location on C drive

Yes, current mobo would require add-on card to fix this properly with a large NVMe. Any new mobo removes need to go with 4TB SATA SSD stopgap so....

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
Shouldn't need to copy everything, you can just move what files/games you want as needed in Steam w their storage manager.

I believed this to be the case. Yet the only sane procedure here would require also waiting for a 200TB direct backup copy to spinning rust (all I have free) to complete before attempting this. Option 1 is Option 1 for good reason. :)

Effectively I was asking if there is an option 3 yet to be considered as well as how risk averse I should be.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
If you format the reg keys break so it wont matter.

This is actually the time you can decide your path moving forward, especially if space is an issue or you plan to format more later.

In my case I have all my games on a completely seperate drive. When I format I simply go back into that drive, into the steam directory and double click the steam.exe. It will do a check then elevate to admin and repair the install.

If you are looking to consolidate or simply switch disks I would do it now.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Nothing new about this, the built-in Storage Manager has been capable of moving games for a long time.

There's another way of moving (most) Steam games: just copy the directory (under Steam/steamapps/common) and the corresponding appmanifest_XXX.acf file to a different Steam library location.

This is actually the better way if you have modded your game. You can also change the appmanifest file to read-only which will prevent Steam from updating your game files and possibly wrecking your carefully assembled and curated colllection of mods.

It's important to understand that using the Steam desktop client to backup a game will not maintain integrity of your modded game. When you restore from the backup, it'll do a verification at the end and fetch all of the missing/mismatched content blowing away your mods.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5 8400
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Software W11 Pro
Nothing new about this, the built-in Storage Manager has been capable of moving games for a long time.

There's another way of moving (most) Steam games: just copy the directory (under Steam/steamapps/common) and the corresponding appmanifest_XXX.acf file to a different Steam library location.

Exactly.

Having fairly recently "verified" numerous games after installing NVMe as boot. Started to wonder if there was a nuance I missed resulting in fairly large updates needing to be downloaded for every game. Not sure if previous Windows installation resulted in corruption or it was induced moving (all but this recent purchase) files around to their present location on a devoted game drive. Possibly it was due to hardware changes?

Since this is actually pretty simple and straightforward if all goes well. I'll just Teracopy all Steam files to external and only the needed ones back into fresh install location. No mods are present to be disrupted.