• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 3080 Running at 2X instead of 16X

Khalil Palstine

:laugh: I believe he meant motherboard BIOS, reset factory settings or Load Optimized defaults.
I made a factory reset a thousand times, entered the bios, put 3200 Hz, the card port returns 1x, I reduce the frequency to 2533 Hz, it returns 16x as it was, I switched the places of the rams, it did not help, I put one tablet, it did not help, the top unscrewed the processor and installed it did not help, the second port gives 8x, no matter how hard you try, it remains 8

I made a factory reset a thousand times, entered the bios, put 3200 Hz, the card port returns 1x, I reduce the frequency to 2533 Hz, it returns 16x as it was, I switched the places of the rams, it did not help, I put one tablet, it did not help, the top unscrewed the processor and installed it did not help, the second port gives 8x, no matter how hard you try, it remains 8
How do you adjust the ram frequency in bios.

With XMP profile or custom timings?
If with xmp try custom timings
If with custom profile try xmp profile

on a side note: that behaviour is very intresting btw

Edit: im sceptical about that delid thingy on your cpu, something might be broken
and also, he is using a RTX 3070 not a 3080

Last edited:
Try finding the maximum RAM frequency that the first PCIe slot will still be 16x, the second is always max 8x anyway, preferably at near factory timings.

Khalil Palstine

Edit: im sceptical about that delid thingy on your cpu, something might be broken
I set it manually, but the same problem failed. 3070, same 3080, same class. Also, I inserted the GTX 1060 card in the picture in order to remove the graphics card from the interface.

Try finding the maximum RAM frequency that the first PCIe slot will still be 16x, the second is always max 8x anyway, preferably at near factory timings.
I will try

I didn't delid the processor, everything is as it was

IMG_٢٠٢٣٠٥١٧_١٨٥٥٢٠.jpg
IMG_٢٠٢٣٠٥١٧_٢٠٠٤٥١.jpg
IMG_٢٠٢٣٠٥١٧_٢٠٠٥٢٥.jpg
IMG_٢٠٢٣٠٥١٧_٢٠٠٦٣٥.jpg
IMG_٢٠٢٣٠٥١٧_٢٠٠٦٥٥.jpg
IMG_٢٠٢٣٠٥١٧_٢٠٠٧٣٣.jpg
IMG_٢٠٢٣٠٥١٧_٢٠٠٨٠٤.jpg
IMG_٢٠٢٣٠٥١٧_٢٠٠٩١١.jpg

Can you get a another processor and test it with that ?
As I think that because of the deliding. Something might be defect

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
6700K delided and running at 4.5ghz
I didn't need to delid mine i7 6700K to run at just 4.5GHz all core...

That aside, your 4-core CPU will be a major bottleneck, it already was a bottleneck for my RTX 2070 Super...

Save up for a new platform and 8-Core+ with that GPU.

Khalil Palstine

I set it manually, but the same problem failed. 3070, same 3080, same class. Also, I inserted the GTX 1060 card in the picture in order to remove the graphics card from the interface.

I will try

I didn't delid the processor, everything is as it was

View attachment 296416View attachment 296417View attachment 296418View attachment 296419View attachment 296420View attachment 296421View attachment 296422View attachment 296423
Thank you all for the help. It turned out that the problem was in the processor socket pins. I unscrewed the processor to check the teeth and found two charred and twisted pins. It is good that it works better than nothing. Take them out and bring new teeth from an old motherboard, but the process did not work. It is good that it works at a frequency of 2533 Hz. from nothing

There are several reasons for this issue:*
1. You may fix easily by loading bios defaults.
2. The PCIe pins on card or in the slot are dirty, dusty or not good enough anyway. The GPU might not installed completely.
3. Remove the M.2 NVME and test with SATA SSD; some Motherboards are not friendly with NVMEs!
4. The CPU is not installed properly or needs to be cleaned.
5. The motherboard has a bios bug for this specific GPU and you may find an update for the bios.
6. Windows issue, then you need to test with GPUZ on a live windows (like Hiren CD)
7. Either broken CPU, motherboard or GPU.

* be sure that there is a rendering at the time of checking with GPUZ. Easiest way is a game in windows screen or Passmark rendering on side of GPUZ. (Make your GPU busy during the GPUZ test)

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
There are several reasons for this issue:*
1. You may fix easily by loading bios defaults.
2. The PCIe pins on card or in the slot are dirty, dusty or not good enough anyway. The GPU might not installed completely.
3. Remove the M.2 NVME and test with SATA SSD; some Motherboards are not friendly with NVMEs!
4. The CPU is not installed properly or needs to be cleaned.
5. The motherboard has a bios bug for this specific GPU and you may find an update for the bios.
6. Windows issue, then you need to test with GPUZ on a live windows (like Hiren CD)
7. Either broken CPU, motherboard or GPU.

* be sure that there is a rendering at the time of checking with GPUZ. Easiest way is a game in windows screen or Passmark rendering on side of GPUZ. (Make your GPU busy during the GPUZ test)
Last post in May and they found the issue.

poli782003

In case anyone still has the same problem. I fixed it by reading this entire thread. I cleaned the PCI express slot with compressed air and cleaned the contact of the video card with isopropyl alcohol. and now it works at x16.

Last edited by a moderator: