• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX 7700 XT undervolting, power management and Adrenalin settings

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
This thread is about power-optimizing the Radeon RX 7700 XT but to start, please read W1zzard's bullet point notes about overclocking in the 7700 XT reviews. It's a great way to OC and is a good starting point, but when power limiting one of those settings (Max Frequency) will trip you up.

I'm not going to get into stock performance for my 7700 XT but it's the Sapphire Pulse version, same as in the link above. Instead I UV/OC everything I get because why throw away potential performance or power savings with conservative stock settings? I'm using Time Spy (DX12) and Fire Strike Ultra (DX11) Graphics Scores as my tests for easy repeatability and both are 1440p like my display. The FPS deltas will be a little different in other games.

Test system:
AsRock B450M Pro4 (PCIe 3.0)
Ryzen 5 5600 OC to 4650MHz
32GB 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4
4TB Team NVMe SSD

The tl;dr for my power-optimizing interests is that IMO the Power Limit slider in AMD's Adrenaline is too limiting but not the upper limit, instead at the lower limit. This card supports +15% and it seems the standard lower limit in Adrenaline is -10%. Maybe that happens to be a great efficiency cutoff but I very much doubt it, especially for DX11. In Time Spy and Fire Strike Extreme, after setting the card's undervoltage settings properly, the FPS difference between 208W (-10%) and 262W (+15%) was:

3.6% fewer FPS in Time Spy (cores at 2580-2630 MHz @-10%, ~120 MHz higher @+15%)
2.7% fewer FPS in Fire Strike Extreme (cores at 2670-2720 MHz @-10%, ~130 MHz higher @+15%)
with 20.6% less power used

Having the Power Limit slider scale down to -25% like Nvidia commonly allows in Afterburner in would be much more useful. Yes, you can instead set Max GPU Frequency to a lower limit like 2500 or 2300 which will work but if the point of Power Limiting is to literally limit the power and not the speed, then directly controlling power is better. I'm familiar with this from 75W slot-powered GPUs like the 1050 Ti where undervolting and setting a hard MHz limit wastes power under lighter loads, whereas simply using a smooth undervolt curve with the existing 75W cap realized more overall FPS as every bit of available power is being used at all times, clocking higher and lower as needed.

OK how to do this: First follow W1zzard's instructions above to find your card's max performance settings and definitely heed his +0.05v safety offset. Those last little slivers of performance aren't worth the potential instability. My 262W +15% OC settings are the result of those instructions. So now you can just swing that Power Limit slider down to -10% and get a cooler running and lower power GPU, right? Nope.

Key point from W1zzard: "... but rather acts as some sort of guidance for AMD's clocking algorithm." The 7000's clocking algorithm is different from the RX 6000 series. I have a few of those I'm very familiar with OC/UVing, and I needed to be retrained for this 7700 XT. What the algorithm seems to do if you set Max Core Frequency to 5000MHz and start using a lower power limit, is steal power from the Memory subsystem in the form of lower memory clocks and give it to the Core clocks. So when doing those tests the memory clock was 1500 MHz instead of 2400 MHz (OC from 2250 MHz stock). Yes, the algorithm underclocked the memory with the Core clocks set to 5000 MHz! With that setting, the GPU was about 20% slower than at max power.

The solution is pretty easy: just take that Max Core Frequency slider and bring it down to about 3400 MHz and set the Minimum Frequency slider to about 2700 MHz. I used to leave the minimum at the default 500 MHz but that seems to let the low-load voltage sag too far and I would get GPU instability from time to time. With this setting, the VRAM stays at 2400 MHz at all loads in GPU-Z and the Core frequencies dipped down about 100 MHz to compensate for the increased power the now fully-enabled battlestation memory subsystem was drawing. Importantly, it was overall 19% faster this way because of course memory bandwidth is extremely important.

The point of this is to say that optimizing 7000 series GPUs for high performance but modest power use is not as simple as: lower the power slider. There's much more to be gained with some experimentation.

Another observation which is completely different from any GPU I've used before is it seems the power scaling when limiting MHz (2500, 2300, 2100, 2000 MHz, etc.) is far more linear than with the RX 6000, RTX 2000, GTX 1000 cards I've used before. I hope to do more testing on that but it was a bit disappointing as usually there are good efficiency gains to be had doing MHz limiting on non-power limited cards. Instead those gains may be in the 2500-2900MHz range on this card, where they were in the 2300-2700 MHz range on RX 6000 and the 1850-2050 MHz Range on the Pascal and Turing GPUs.

new_tpu_user

Hey,
I'm currently struggling a bit to get the uv/oc of my asus dual 7700 xt stable. I'm basically looking to create a maximum power saving/efficient profile and a profile to get the most performance out of the card, but still within the boundaries of what is resonably efficient. Your post certainly helped with the former but the stable config I have now puts out rather mixed results. With Voltage@1030mv, memory@2438MHz and cores@min2700max3400 I get a good result over stock performance with the Superposition benchmark. The memory clock is stable with Superposition @2437Mhz while the cores perform rather vanilla but ok. When I test it with FurMark2 though it scores horribly compared to stock and the memory cant even hit 1600MHz though the cores can go over 2700MHz here apparently.
The weird thing is when I try a power+25% config the results are basically flipped. FurMark2 loves the extra juice and sips about 300 Watts and spits out a great result while Superposition actually performs way worse compared to stock. It's double weird because FurMark2 senses instability very quickly so that can't be really the issue with Superposition.

Any tips or further findings you can share since your post?

I should add everything else is stock at the moment to not interfer with stability and I benchmark @4K.