• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RX590 Crashing/freezing games (tried everything)

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory 16GB HyperX 3200 MHz
Storage Intel 545s 512GB SSD, WD HD 1TB
Display(s) Philips 226e9qhab
Case Cooler Master K380
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W
Software Windows 10
Soo, just check my old posts and you will figure out most of it.

I have a new configuration
R7 2700X
16GB Hyperx RAM 3200MHz
B450 Tomahawk Max
750W SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum

Now lately, my games started crashing. Like just crashing/closing the game(first the screen would freeze for 10 seconds and then it goes black for a bit and then to desktop) and sometimes the driver(radeon software) crashes.(disappears and it won't open)

This would happen like 5-40 mins in to the game. I can't force reproducing this problem as it happens randomly and sometimes it doesn't even happen.
Also it doesn't even happen in all games, only in really demanding games.
Happens in:
COD Warzone (this game runs only in DX12)
Hitman (tested only in DX12)
Resident Evil 2(I got this game to crash only in DX12)
So it seems like something is up with DX12 but I can't figure out what. But this also happened to me in Valorant a while ago(this game runs on DX11) but it didn't happen often like maybe 2 times a week after a couple hours of playing. And also in Warzone and Hitman (DX12) i had some textures go weird like artifacting glitching blocks(the way it breaks and looks in both games is the same) and in warzone they also were glowing for some reason and when I look to the side of the map where those are I get completely blinded because they are glowing white.
When I turn on MSI afterburner to monitor everything looks fine, temps, speeds... And it even looks fine when it freezes/crashes.
I tried every solution I could think of. And I'm tired of it. I had issues with this GPU in the past and after all of this, I'm starting to go crazy. (If you want to know more check my older posts)
I'm thinking about selling this gpu as half broken.
But first I should really get another gpu to test in my system. And I'm pretty sure that at this point it's not a software issue.

If you can think of something that might help, just don't say reinstall this and that(because I did), please if you have something reply.
And I don't think I have a problem with other components because I changed all my components after getting this gpu, and even on my old system/components this gpu was giving me some trouble.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Test your memory modules with MemTest64, and then the PSU with Prime95 large FFT + FurMark in 720p at the background.

If you use DisplayPort, ensure its a VESA-certified cable. If DVI, check the pins.

Check the GPU temperature at load, if its in the 80c range, reapply thermal paste and clean the fans.

Try underclocking both GPU and memory by 50-100 MHz and see how it goes.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
Test your memory modules with MemTest64, and then the PSU with Prime95 large FFT + FurMark in 720p at the background.

If you use DisplayPort, ensure its a VESA-certified cable. If DVI, check the pins.

Check the GPU temperature at load, if its in the 80c range, reapply thermal paste and clean the fans.

Try underclocking both GPU and memory by 50-100 MHz and see how it goes.
I ran MemTest64 for over an hour and it reported no errors.
Prime95 large FFT + FurMark in 720p also for over an hour and nothing really happened.

I underclocked the gpu core and gpu memory by 100 MHz and it seems to work good for now. But I'm still sure it's gonna happen again sooner or later and I just don't want to have to constantly worry about my gpu breaking mid game. I am still looking to sell it.
I'm just kinda disappointed in this gpu because I had so many issues with this gpu I spent days trying to fix it when I first had issues like this.
One year later and now again I have issues.

Alright so, I am sure it's my gpu and I'm sure it's faulty.
I decided to revert to factory OC and this happened.
I just quickly grabbed my phone.

Also, now it completely restarted the whole PC.

Last edited:

JustinLeaverr

OMG, i have had exactly the same problem in Warzone, screen full of green and random colors after some minutes into game, i underclocked the card (Power Color Red Dragon Rx 590) only for warzone and works fine. i am pretty sure your card is fine, 590 series has several driver issues and it is a complete shit situation, just underclock it to -10% in core clocks and all the problems will dissapear. Suggest for us, go for Nvidia next time or wait until Radeon gets good engineers for their drivers. I also will try changing the D-Port cable. Good lucky from Colombia and hope my english was clear enough :)

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
OMG, i have had exactly the same problem in Warzone, screen full of green and random colors after some minutes into game, i underclocked the card (Power Color Red Dragon Rx 590) only for warzone and works fine. i am pretty sure your card is fine, 590 series has several driver issues and it is a complete shit situation, just underclock it to -10% in core clocks and all the problems will dissapear. Suggest for us, go for Nvidia next time or wait until Radeon gets good engineers for their drivers. I also will try changing the D-Port cable. Good lucky from Colombia and hope my english was clear enough :)
It wasn't driver it was like this in pretty much any driver version I tried and also other games(crashing in all demanding games, but I got artifacting only in warzone and hitman 2), and this wasn't happening before. I am pretty sure that it is just on it's way to die, because It didn't do this before, and this GPU for me was always acting weird until it became this bad. I sent the card for an RMA, after 29 days they told me that I will get a refund.(I'm not sure how much they tested the card but since they are giving me a refund the card is probably faulty) Also I don't think nVidia is immune to failure, my previous AMD cards were fine and I never had any issues with drivers or anything until I got this one. If you have the same issues you should also RMA if you can because this isn't normal behavior and you shouldn't pay for and use a card that needs tweaking because it doesn't run properly by default.

System Name Ok
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Case Cooler Master K380
Software Windows 10
I got a new gpu (PowerColor RX 5700 XT Red Dragon), I managed to play Control in DX12 for over an hour and no issues so far.
It's pretty quiet and the fans only spin up to around 1700-1800 RPM and the temperature doesn't go above 75.
I'm pretty sure you can make the card even cooler by making the fan spin a bit faster.