• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. 90-100% frequency. How much power is being used?

I've looked for results of power consumption compared with balanced, power saver and AMD Ryzen balanced(90-100%) but couldn't find the numbers.

All I know is that with the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan that frequency stays at 90-100% with the voltage always nearly maxed out.

Is the extra power used something I should be concerned about with either a first or second generation Ryzen CPU?

Last edited:
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Sorry, I can't measure power consumption. But according to AMD, the CPU will idle regardless of what Windows shows, even on the high performance power plan.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
You can lower the minimum processor state a lot more than 90%, I use 20% on my first gen ryzen. If you have manually overclocked then you need to set up p-states in the bios for it to drop the frequency, mine is set to drop to 1ghz 0.85v at idle, but if you're leaving it on default settings it should manage itself just fine. And don't worry about setting a low minimum percentage hurting performance, I've found it doesn't take a lot of load for it to jump up and hold at higher frequencies, games are more than enough to keep it at full clocks so I don't even bother changing to the high performance plan most of the time.

I don't know about power consumption at idle, if you're concerned you could get a wattmeter socket and see for yourself. It won't be a lot though, even in the high performance plan.

edit - just had a look in hwinfo. With ryzen power plan, 20% min state, idling at 1ghz 0.85v the SoC + Core was 13.5W, when in high performance plan at 4.15ghz 1.45v (pretty much worst case!) it was reading 35W. So there's a bit of a saving there I guess. For me it's less about saving energy and more about prolonging the life of the processor while heavily oc'd.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
My motherboard has one of those useless RGB stripes running over the sound card, I have it set to show CPU temperature, so it gets red over 60°C, blue between 40 and 60, and green under 40. It only reaches green when the CPU is idle, and i can tell you that even with both limits at 100%, or with the low limit at 0%, I get the green LEDs. Maybe it takes a little longer at 90 or 100%.

You can lower the minimum processor state a lot more than 90%, I use 20% on my first gen ryzen. If you have manually overclocked then you need to set up p-states in the bios for it to drop the frequency, mine is set to drop to 1ghz 0.85v at idle, but if you're leaving it on default settings it should manage itself just fine. And don't worry about setting a low minimum percentage hurting performance, I've found it doesn't take a lot of load for it to jump up and hold at higher frequencies, games are more than enough to keep it at full clocks so I don't even bother changing to the high performance plan most of the time.

I don't know about power consumption at idle, if you're concerned you could get a wattmeter socket and see for yourself. It won't be a lot though, even in the high performance plan.

edit - just had a look in hwinfo. With ryzen power plan, 20% min state, idling at 1ghz 0.85v the SoC + Core was 13.5W, when in high performance plan at 4.15ghz 1.45v (pretty much worst case!) it was reading 35W. So there's a bit of a saving there I guess. For me it's less about saving energy and more about prolonging the life of the processor while heavily oc'd.

Thanks, just downloaded hwinfo to check my consumption numbers. Not able to change p-states on my board, but I did lower the AMD plan from 90% down to 20%. That saved about 4 watts for me from ~29w idle down to ~25. Compared to ~13 watts from the power saver plan(which reduces performance) I suppose I shouldn't be concerned with an extra 12 watts.