• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SCUM

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
No thread about this yet? That's not right!

Dlx35RcUcAA7y3o.jpg

https://scumgame.com/en
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/SCUM

If you look closer, it seems to be a blatant DayZ ripoff (at least I presume how it started) - but fortunately, it's lighting years ahead from technical standpoint (though the current experimental version of DayZ finally does look good too), and there are enough original concepts so it's not too disturbing.

I played for an hour or two so far, and it seems to have a lot of potential, and not too many bugs for a game that has only just hit EA.
On 3770K and Rx 580, I am able to play at 40 or just below fps with high settings. That's not bad.

So far I really recommend it.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Every single time I see this game mentioned I get a bit glad but then I realise it's SCUM and not SCUMM and then I get a bit sad. :(

But a better DayZ sounds interesting nevertheless.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
How is the single player part ?
Not sure. It feels exactly the same, but I only played it for like an hour. Also, there is no story and quests or whatever yet, so there's probably no point in playing it at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Software Windows 10 x64
No, SCUM does have singleplayer option.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
The result is the same. Thread with original point lost in nonsense offtopic comments from the very beginning.

Well, the premise sounds interesting enough. Prison riot? Mixed with a bit of Running Man. Isn't DayZ another zombie game? I don't see the similarity.

edit: The Hardcore mode actually sounds cool.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I may have mentioned this in the "what are you playing?" thread. I have been playing since release. I even have a server set up for it.

Single player is there and it is the very same experience the multiplayer crowd receives except no multiplayer PVP. There are plenty of puppets (zeds) and wild animals to combat, not to mention the mechs.

Gameplay is kind like DayZ but DayZ done right. Game runs very good and looks great visually. It's a fun game with a good crafting system so far. The game has a ton going for it but is still lacking a lot of content. Map is big with plans to go bigger down the road. Plenty of content being worked on so a lot of changes on the way.

No base building at all which is a bummer IMO as I love survival games with gathering and base building. Right now you can set up a camp which allows you to spawn on it if you die and if you have enough fame to do so but as of right now there is no way to protect your storage boxes and loot except to find a great hiding space. The map is large enough that it should be easy to hide your camp somewhere off the beaten trail.

The good news about bases though is we will be able to take over a building or house at some point and reinforce it; turning it into a base of sorts. We will have the option of even putting up a wall around said reinforced base. I'm looking forward to this but I still would have preferred building my own base at my chosen location.

Right now the game is too easy. Loot is easy to come by and if you raid the airport or any of the many underground military bunkers you will find all the loot and high end gear you could ever want. I can be fully kitted out within 30 minutes easily. Of course my server is low pop now since the last wipe so if playing on a more populated server the best loot will be fought over.

The game plays in 1st and 3rd person and 3rd person uses a cool new game mechanic called line of sight. This confused many at first into thinking people were hacking and going invisible. Basically I could be crouched behind a tree...and while in 3rd person view I can see to either side of tree and not see anyone sneaking up on me...but then I hear footsteps and turn my mouse to look and right in front of me a player just uncloaks...and you think, "how did he walk up to me without me seeing him? He's cheating!" but the reality is I was facing a tree and he was sneaking up to the side of me and out of my in game character's line of sight so....invisible. Am I explaining it right? Anyways it works good and keeps 3rd person gaming fair.

The metabolism system rocks. I mean just google it and you will see. You do have to micro manage your calorie intake and such, you have to eat right to be healthy...so many things can go wrong, from getting sick or even suffering from hypothermia after being out in the cold rain without the proper gear...your wet, cold, and now your clothes are soaked...which adds weight to your character, lowers your temperature and can affect your stamina etc. Having to poop and pee is another thing that is needed and not going when you need to can force your character to do it at the most inopportune time. This is cool even if it is done a bit over-board at the moment. Your character can gain and lose weight too.

The game is a lot of fun and has a ton of potential. That said I think most people should wait for more content. They will be adding, sailing, flying, cars, more NPC's more animals, more mechs, more gear, more crafting...just more of everything.

Last edited: