• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sensor cooling test results very poor

AlexM123

Hi Forum,
Hoping you might be able to help me.
I just did a sensor test using the RealTemp analysis and i think the results are extremely poor:
https://imgur.com/a/E3Ga8

Any advise?

Didn't have problem with the pc at the beginning but now after half a year my PC have starting to randomly shut down, and i suspect CPU overheating might be the cause. Have been applying new thermal paste twice in this span, and this was just after a new layer was applied.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Movement test doesn't show us too much.. though 24% load and that close to the limit, you may have an issue.

Try to run Prime 95 or something against it and see what the temps are.

List specs, cooling, etc...

AlexM123

This was the prime 95 thing i think?

upload_2017-11-4_4-55-34.png

CPU cooler?

Prime 95 is a program you download... see it in your screenshot in realtemp? Run that and check temps, post a screenshot

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest

if you run it in Realtemp, it will require you to Download(unless u already have)it, but iirc, it will point you directly to a DL link,

or you can DL it with the link below, and run it from within Realtemp, it will prompt you to pick where it is when running from within Realtemp, just point it to Where it Downloaded to on your PC.
Prime95

AlexM123

Yeah i downloaded prime 95 - ran this test.
upload_2017-11-4_5-2-1.png

The CPU cooler is a fan cooler called Cooler Master Hyper TX3i.
The entire PC was bought as a package deal of build-your-own-pc so it should support the specs, but maybe it's just doesn't cut it?

Oh and its not overclocked at all. PC have been crashing playing basic games like WoW and CS:GO

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-4_5-1-31.png
    upload_2017-11-4_5-1-31.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 519
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
well the tdp on that cooler is sufficient technically (its not a very beefy cooler, 92mm isnt what id want running a i7 k cpu), i dont know how capable you are, but it might be a good idea to remove it and re-seat it to make certain your not seeing the effects of a poor mounting job....however if this just happened out of nowhere after a decent period of normal functioning, it may be another cause....

make sure theres no cpu hogging processes running in task manager, run a malware scan, etc, also be certain that your's fan is still running on the cooler. I've had spikes in temperature in the past ,and found out that the fan on the heat sink died

Edit.
It occurred to me that the name of that cooler seemed familiar. I actually own the TX3, which is similar to that one ,and they're not the most capable coolers in my experience. They are better than stock ,but it's nowhere near a 212evo. I'm surprised they use that cooler tbh. Definitely don't over clock with it. Are you in an area where you have your heaters on at this time of year? I'm curious of ambient temperatures have risen

Last edited:

AlexM123

well the tdp on that cooler is sufficient technically (its not a very beefy cooler, 92mm isnt what id want running a i7 k cpu), i dont know how capable you are, but it might be a good idea to remove it and re-seat it to make certain your not seeing the effects of a poor mounting job....however if this just happened out of nowhere after a decent period of normal functioning, it may be another cause....

make sure theres no cpu hogging processes running in task manager, run a malware scan, etc, also be certain that your's fan is still running on the cooler. I've had spikes in temperature in the past ,and found out that the fan on the heat sink died

Edit.
It occurred to me that the name of that cooler seemed familiar. I actually own the TX3, which is similar to that one ,and they're not the most capable coolers in my experience. They are better than stock ,but it's nowhere near a 212evo. I'm surprised they use that cooler tbh. Definitely don't over clock with it. Are you in an area where you have your heaters on at this time of year? I'm curious of ambient temperatures have risen

Yeah i was thinking of upgrading it, coolers aren't the most expensive things either, might even tap the delivery company on the shoulders as there have been other issues aswell. Any suggestions on potential upgrades - motherboard allows liquid cooling, which i've heard usually is better but more expensive.
And the cooler can't really be monitored poorly i thing, all the 4 sockets are clicked in and it's positioned correctly and appear to be on the CPU as it should be.

And yeah the ambient temperature have risen due to termostates being turned on a few weeks ago - however they were on when i got the PC aswell and the room temperatur shouldn't fluctate that much.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Yeah i was thinking of upgrading it, coolers aren't the most expensive things either, might even tap the delivery company on the shoulders as there have been other issues aswell. Any suggestions on potential upgrades - motherboard allows liquid cooling, which i've heard usually is better but more expensive.
And the cooler can't really be monitored poorly i thing, all the 4 sockets are clicked in and it's positioned correctly and appear to be on the CPU as it should be.

And yeah the ambient temperature have risen due to termostates being turned on a few weeks ago - however they were on when i got the PC aswell and the room temperatur shouldn't fluctate that much.

I still would recommend that you look into the software side of things to be certain there is nothing on that end causing the overheating. For example some type of malware that's causing abnormal high CPU usage etc.

As far as future choices of cooling, it really depends on your level of proficiency with building/working on computers. If you're comfortable installing water cooling or possibly an all in one loop, go for it...but unless you intend to overclock that CPU, I wouldn't waste the money, instead go with a coolermaster Evo 212 , or a comparable makers model. When you get to that point I'm sure you could ask for advice here or just research the top 10 air coolers for enthusiast level CPUs.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
There is a bug in RealTemp that makes it display 100% load as 24% on newer chips. I'd say he's ok. He's doing Prime95, afterall, and still not hitting throttlepoint.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
however they were on when i got the PC aswell

Does this mean the PC is new as in a few weeks when the heat was turned on, or you have had it since last year when the heat was on.
If the first, I would go to the "builder" and ask for help/assistance/possibly returning the PC.
If the latter, has the PC/Cooler/Dust Filers been cleaned in a while?

Also could you help us help you explaining the crash? BSOD, Driver Recovery, Freeze, what are the symptoms?

If hes 4C away from tjmax in p95 small fft and thats 100% load, its not temps in gaming that are the problem...

AlexM123

Does this mean the PC is new as in a few weeks when the heat was turned on, or you have had it since last year when the heat was on.
If the first, I would go to the "builder" and ask for help/assistance/possibly returning the PC.
If the latter, has the PC/Cooler/Dust Filers been cleaned in a while?

Also could you help us help you explaining the crash? BSOD, Driver Recovery, Freeze, what are the symptoms?

PC is about 7 months old, back when i got it we had internal heat in the house aswell. I build it myself, i just bought the components from a deliver who had a package deal - Yes PC has been COMPLETELY cleaned right before those tests, basicly no dust left :)

The crash is basicly just a flat out shutdown, no warning, no signs, just suddenly the power literrally shuts off and everything goes black. Then it either turns on itself after like 5 seconds or i can do it myself.

If hes 4C away from tjmax in p95 small fft and thats 100% load, its not temps in gaming that are the problem...

Yeah if the bug is true it's prolly 100% load, but its still the small test. Im not sure what tjmax is and how it calculates it tbh, seems to be set to 100 - haven't modified it myself - should I?

Really newb here :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Check the event viewer, but a shutdown like that seems power supply related.