• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Solved] Please Help - ASUS Motherboard BIOS Update Broke Audio

Statesidemonk

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600 CPU

I believe the issue is limited to these two components. I can complete the list if needed. I also apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this in. Being a BIOS issue, I thought it seemed better suited for the Motherboard section rather than software.

The issue I am experiencing is my audio ports stopped working after a BIOS update. I purchased a Ryzen 5 5500 for a good price, and it should be arriving in the next day or two. My MoBo required a BIOS update to use the newer CPU, and I read that the update worked fine with the 2600 so I thought I’d install it early.

Unfortunately, my audio ports stopped working after the update. In both Windows 11 and Linux Mint, the settings say that audio devices cannot be found. I’ve tried various updates and making sure the chipset was up to date, but nothing worked. I can get audio over DisplayPort and HDMI, but I’d prefer to have it on my headphones and speakers.

I unplugged everything and plugged it all back in, making sure everything was properly connected and in the right ports. Nothing.

Everything worked before the update, so I believe it is related to something in the BIOS. I tried using ASUS flashback to rollback to the BIOS version I was using (4602), but that didn’t solve it. I even tried older versions, but still no luck. I tried enabling and disabling the HD Audio toggle in my BIOS, but that didn’t do it.

Is there anything else I can try? Is there some setting I’m forgetting that will reactivate the audio ports on the motherboard and top of case?

Any help would be appreciated.

System Name The Tempest
Processor i7 5960x at 4.5ghz 1.235 bios vcore 4.1ghz cache 1.15v on custom water
Motherboard MSI X99A Godlike Gaming
Cooling Swiftech DDC mcp50-x pump XSPC Raystorrm waterblock Acool xt45 Supernova1260 rad 9 140mmfans 1vrmF
Memory 32gb 4x8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 2400mhz 15-15-15-35 @ 3200 16-19-19-36 2T 1.36v
Video Card(s) AMD 6800 XT reference OC to 2500~2600 1.135v mem oc 2150 Fast timing Acool Eisblock gpx waterblock
Storage WD Blue M.2 512GB SSD Toshiba 4tb Western Digital Black 6tb 7200's
Display(s) 4k HDR TLC 43" 60hz TV
Case Cooler Master 140 rear fan 200mm 2top/1side/1front External 1260 rad 1700RPM 1VRM fan
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtech Logitech 5.1 surround/ Bluetooth headphones
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i PSU
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Time Spy ~20000 Extreme 7800 Fire Strike 55000 Extreme 27415 Ultra 13604 Port Royal 10032
Have you installed the audio driver that came with the motherboard, on the cd? You can probably also get the driver from the Asus website, if you search for- ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING support. It looks like they have a windows 10/11 audio driver called Realtek.

Also in case you did'nt know in windows 11 you can click on the speaker in the bottom right corner then select the arrow next to the volume level and select which audio device.

Last edited:
System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
Have you checked the BIOS section about "Disable onbard sound"?
Onboard components (lan, audio, wlan) can generally be disabled from bios.

Statesidemonk

Have you installed the audio driver that came with the motherboard, on the cd? You can probably also get the driver from the Asus website, if you search for- ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING support. It looks like they have a windows 10/11 audio driver called Realtek.

Also in case you did'nt know in windows 11 you can click on the speaker in the bottom right corner then select the arrow next to the volume level and select which audio device.
I’m not sure where the cd is, if I still have it. I read that the audio software included on the cd is Sonic Studio 3, so I’ll try to download that or contact ASUS for the contents in the cd.

I didn’t have to do this before, everything was plug and play. That it’s also doing this on my Linux installs, also with no prior issues, is what has me scratching my head thinking it’s still something with the bios.

Have you checked the BIOS section about "Disable onbard sound"?
Onboard components (lan, audio, wlan) can generally be disabled from bios.
I have already tried that. I’ve toggled it on and off several times, booting into Windows with both choices, but that didn’t solve it. It may have been with a board on a different build, but I seem to recall there being a choice in the bios to select the onboard device to AC97 or HD Audio, but I can no longer find it. The only setting is the aforementioned enable/disable onboard sound to on or off.

Regarding the part on selecting the audio device from the taskbar in Windows, that’s part of the problem. When I did that it said that no audio devices could be found, when before I could choose my headphones or speakers. Using the Windows troubleshooter is what worked to get the audio for DisplayPort and HDMI, and I can find those in the taskbar now, but even the troubleshooter couldn’t detect the audio port devices.

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600 CPU

I believe the issue is limited to these two components. I can complete the list if needed. I also apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this in. Being a BIOS issue, I thought it seemed better suited for the Motherboard section rather than software.

The issue I am experiencing is my audio ports stopped working after a BIOS update. I purchased a Ryzen 5 5500 for a good price, and it should be arriving in the next day or two. My MoBo required a BIOS update to use the newer CPU, and I read that the update worked fine with the 2600 so I thought I’d install it early.

Unfortunately, my audio ports stopped working after the update. In both Windows 11 and Linux Mint, the settings say that audio devices cannot be found. I’ve tried various updates and making sure the chipset was up to date, but nothing worked. I can get audio over DisplayPort and HDMI, but I’d prefer to have it on my headphones and speakers.

I unplugged everything and plugged it all back in, making sure everything was properly connected and in the right ports. Nothing.

Everything worked before the update, so I believe it is related to something in the BIOS. I tried using ASUS flashback to rollback to the BIOS version I was using (4602), but that didn’t solve it. I even tried older versions, but still no luck. I tried enabling and disabling the HD Audio toggle in my BIOS, but that didn’t do it.

Is there anything else I can try? Is there some setting I’m forgetting that will reactivate the audio ports on the motherboard and top of case?

Any help would be appreciated.
An update for those with a similar problem. I contacted ASUS and they said that the board is basically bricked.