• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Synology Introduces RackStation RS818+/RS818RP+ and Expansion Unit RX418

Today, Synology Inc. launched RackStation RS818+/RS818RP+, a new 1U 4-bay rackmount NAS designed with speedy transmission performance and storage scalability for small and medium-sized businesses. RS818+/RS818RP+ features a 2.4GHz quad-core processor with AES-NI encryption engine, 2GB DDR3 memory (expandable to 16GB in dual channel), and a PCIe 2.0 slot to support an optional 10GbE network card. This powerful hardware provides over 1,099 MB/s reading speed, making RS818+/RS818RP+ an ideal centralized storage option for multi-client data transmissions.

The storage capacity of RS818+/RS818RP+ can be further expanded with the new Synology expansion unit RX418, providing up to 8 drives for flexible data management and backup. RS818+/RS818RP+ comes with four 1GbE LAN ports to support Link Aggregation and failover. Synology High Availability support provides a reliable active/passive server cluster, keeping data and services online. RS818RP+ is also equipped with redundant power supplies to deliver increased service continuity.

"Condensed in a flat 1U rackmount chassis, RS818+/RS818RP+ provides great performance, hardware upgradability, and service reliability," said Michael Wang, Product Manager at Synology Inc.

RS818+/RS818RP+ runs on DiskStation Manager, the advanced and intuitive operating system for Synology NAS devices, with various applications such as file sharing, data backup, or collaboration tools to enhance work productivity. Certified by VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Hyper-V, and OpenStack Cinder, RS818+/RS818RP+ can be seamlessly integrated into a company's virtualization environment. Synology has received numerous media accolades, topping the mid-range NAS category in TechTarget's storage solution survey and winning PCMag Readers' Choice Award seven years in a row.

For more information on RS818+/RS818RP+, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/RS818+

For more information on RX418, please visit https://www.synology.com/products/RX418

For more information on DiskStation Manager, please visit https://www.synology.com/dsm

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Computer!
Processor i7-6700K
Motherboard AsRock Z170 Extreme 7+
Cooling EKWB on CPU & GPU, 240 slim and 360 Monsta, Aquacomputer Aquabus D5, Aquaaero 6 Pro.
Memory 32Gb Kingston Hyper-X 3Ghz
Video Card(s) Asus 980 Ti Strix
Storage 2 x 950 Pro
Display(s) Old Acer thing
Case NZXT 440 Modded
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PII 600W Platinum
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Win 10 Pro
Old, low end Atom C2000. $800+. 2018.

No.

Old, low end Atom C2000. $800+. 2018.

No.

I agree. The C2538 Atom is a known CPU for just up and dying after 18 months. They were released in 2013 and replaced by the C3000 series in 2016 so employing this series of chips is beyond a confusing choice. The ONLY update to this machine has is the 10GB network option. Which no real SOHO user needs. And Link Aggregation would get the speeds up there without having to replace/upgrade to a 10gb network. Personally I've been waiting since September 2016 for a new synology 4-bay rack mount system and now 16 months later they release this slap in the face to their customers.

System Name Computer!
Processor i7-6700K
Cooling EKWB on CPU & GPU, 240 slim and 360 Monsta, Aquacomputer Aquabus D5, Aquaaero 6 Pro.
Storage 2 x 950 Pro
Case NZXT 440 Modded
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Win 10 Pro
Yes I have been waiting too. I really don't understand why they still used C2538. The only reason i can think of would be to maximize their profit margin. I hope people realize it has outdated components so there is no profit margin - that would speed along this issue :)

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
#metoo, been waiting a long time for 1HE 4 bay update to their product line.

What's with this C2558 processor? When there is a better, lower powered, faster C3xxx series which includes the possibilities for more cores, and faster AES encryption, the horsepower for 4K transcoding, and better TDP environmental efficiencies.

Although the new stepping of Atom C2x series (C0) has fixed the time-bomb bug, the problem with the C2x is that it is overkill for just fileserving but a little underpowered for hosting websites, Virtualisation, and the DSM Office application. It makes no sense. An 8 core Atom C3x series would have been a very suitable and timely upgrade for DSM 6.2.

I can think of ONLY TWO reasons for a product that is essentially identical to the existing RS815+: They are expecting recalls/failures of the Atom stepping B0 used in the RS815+ series, so they are manufacturing mobo replacements with this model ;) in anticipation of warranty claims. And, the chipset on the C3x series has changed, requiring new drivers, and the synology development team are just too lazy to integrate them into the DSM builds.

I had a cheque ready to buy a new Synology RS818+ based on a NEW, FASTER processor. I am so disappointed, I might even think about xpenology using a https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/ based board stuck in a second hand synology rackbox.

System Name Computer!
Processor i7-6700K
Storage 2 x 950 Pro
Case NZXT 440 Modded
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Win 10 Pro
#metoo, been waiting a long time for 1HE 4 bay update to their product line.

What's with this C2558 processor? When there is a better, lower powered, faster C3xxx series which includes the possibilities for more cores, and faster AES encryption, the horsepower for 4K transcoding, and better TDP environmental efficiencies.

Although the new stepping of Atom C2x series (C0) has fixed the time-bomb bug, the problem with the C2x is that it is overkill for just fileserving but a little underpowered for hosting websites, Virtualisation, and the DSM Office application. It makes no sense. An 8 core Atom C3x series would have been a very suitable and timely upgrade for DSM 6.2.

I can think of ONLY TWO reasons for a product that is essentially identical to the existing RS815+: They are expecting recalls/failures of the Atom stepping B0 used in the RS815+ series, so they are manufacturing mobo replacements with this model ;) in anticipation of warranty claims. And, the chipset on the C3x series has changed, requiring new drivers, and the synology development team are just too lazy to integrate them into the DSM builds.

I had a cheque ready to buy a new Synology RS818+ based on a NEW, FASTER processor. I am so disappointed, I might even think about xpenology using a https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/ based board stuck in a second hand synology rackbox.

I've been running several Xpenologies for a long time. One is a NUC with ESXi. Been happy with it. Things to watch out for: Updates, Transcoding, Surveillance Station (I have problems with motion detection, even by the camera itself) and QuickConnect. The website has info on all those things.