• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Temporary mass storage / backup

AuroraUK

I currently have 2 x WD 6400aaks caviar blue HDD's in RAID 0 on a LSI PCIe 8x 8 port card and was wondering is there an easy way WITHOUT risking loosing or accidently formating or screwing up the RAID 0 array when adding an additional 2 matching HDD's???

I would prefer backing up somehow the data i have before attempting this, if i loose the data i swear i will cry for days.... no weeks!!! I have 800GB to back up that i need done as cheaply as possible, DVD's work out too expensive and will be too much time consuming.

Im adding the extra 2 drives not so much for the extra space but for the extra performance. I move a lot of large files around, extracting, compressing etc ... works that makes my HDD's sweat lol

Does anyone have any ideas???

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
Stick the other two in but don't add them to the raid array, then you could just use a piece of ghosting software to copy everything over.
THat should work.

AuroraUK

ooooo

Sorry lol i mean what im trying to do is add another 2 matching HDD's to the existing array with the data without risking the data.

So im aiming for a total of 4 HDD's in RAID 0.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
Oh right, that may be a PITA, possibly you could ask someone in a local computer shop to copy everything on there over to a large external HDD for a few days, then set the raid array up and then copy everything back over?
Otherwise you're going to have to buy a large enough drive to back it all up onto.

AuroraUK

I think that would be best yh :) to find someone with large enough hard disk space. Backing up to DVD's would be more expensive than the hard disks, i would need approx 170 DVD's. Or for now i would have to just stick with 2 x 1.28TB RAID0 arrays.

Is there a way of perhaps uploading my data to a webserver/webspace? just for like 4-6hours??

Using RAID0 is already risking it. Your card most likely supports RAID migration, install the management software. Expect it to take ages though. (if it takes 12+ hours it's normal)

If you want to actually backup that data, buy a 1TB disk > 80 euros?

AuroraUK

Using RAID0 is already risking it. Your card most likely supports RAID migration, install the management software. Expect it to take ages though. (if it takes 12+ hours it's normal)

The only software i had with the LSI card is crap, doesnt let me do anything and it keeps asking me to login to the software for some reason??? I will have to do a bit of research on the BIOS options.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far :)

Download other software form the LSI site. Besides, why are you using such an expensive controller for a simple RAID 0 array?

AuroraUK

Download other software form the LSI site. Besides, why are you using such an expensive controller for a simple RAID 0 array?

I have looked on the LSI website but there is nothing of interest.

And believe it or not the LSI 8208LEP PCIe 8x controller card was 'given' to me by a friend, he has more money than sense, he bought the card for a striped array of 6 WD Velociraptors and 2 large backup disks but discovered that the card only supports SAS and SATA2 HDD's, Useless with the WD VRaptors.