• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Temps and Open Slots

051R15

I recently flashed my X850 Pro AGP's bios to open the pipes and started having problems with apps crashing to the desktop. I run OC'd to 530/590, but didn't have any problems prior to the flash so I fired up atitool to re-run my artifact tests.

Sure enough, I was no longer as stable as I had been, but I hate giving up mhz that are rightfully mine (despite what ATI might think), so I started playing with the fan controls.

I selected "try to keep GPU temerature at 70 degrees", thinking this was a pretty safe bet, and ran the artifact test again. My temps were rising dramatically, but the card routinely hits 90 degrees so there's nothing new there....

The phone rings and I take my eye off the temperture for a few seconds.. I glance back and the damn thing is running at 100 degrees.... I don't hear the fan running and I've got 'update temperature' to refresh at the default of every ten seconds. It could be 120degrees for all I know so I drop the phone, rip the power cord out of the wall and reboot.

Phew. Looks okay, but wtf is going on with these insane temps? I set the fan control to 100%, run the stress test again and watch the temps top out at 92 degrees. No wonder I'm crashing all over the desktop. Even at stock 500/500 speeds I'm in the high 80's.

Not cool... so to speak. ;)

So I start investigating after market cooling mods. The Arctic Cooler 5 looks interesting, but it takes up an additional slot, and renders yet another one useless.

The Vcool is only twenty bucks, but it takes up an additonal two slots, as well. I open up my case to see If I can squeeze one of these gadgets in, and it suddenly occurs to me that simply removing the slot covers on the back of the case is liable to increase the airflow dramtically in and of itself, without having to kill my card's warranty (and pay for the privledge).

I'll make a long story shorter. At the same 530/590 OC, my temps never went above 72 degrees. Tests of the Vcool show a maximum 5 degree temperature loss, and a good GPU fan will do about the same for you. A ten degree temperature loss is about what you get with the Arctic Cooler...

But the question arises, if you've got an extra couple slots, why not just remove the covers to increase airflow under the GPU fan and pick up an extra 20 degrees for free?

Mine might be an extreme example, but if you own one of these laser-hot 850 AGP boards and the real estate to spare, this offers a reasonable alternative to voided warranties, gimmicky fans and ten dollar tubes of thermal paste.

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
i guess it all depends on the ambient room temperture and ventiletion of the case...

if the room is cold and the case ventiletion is poor, then removing a pair of slot covers lets in cold air from outside the case that wasnt getting in....

but in my opinion it really shouldn't matter much if you have the slot covers in our out in a well ventilated case.

what kind / how many case fans do you have?

051R15

One stock case fan, One stock cpu fan, one psu fan.

I actually tried running the artifact test with the case cover off (and slot covers still on) just for kicks.

That got me into the mid 80's overclocked during the stress test. An improvement, but not as dramatic (or practical) as removing the covers.. for whatever reason.

Here's a pic of the case cover on my box. Ventilated, but not where you need it most (opposite the AGP port).

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=156769&s=1564&a=156910&po=5,00.asp

I think what's happening is the GPU fan is pulling fresh air from those nearby open slots, it's heated and rises, where the case fan immediately pushes it out...