• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

trying to cool down laptop, but nothing works

alright so as the title suggests, i am trying to cool down my gaming laptop acer nitro 7 with i7-9750h, 1660ti. and it is also damn hard. i've tried undervolting, had complications with it so im just gonna stay where im stable (CPU core -174.8 and CPU cache -100 offset) to avoid problems again, i've tried MSI afterburner and locked it at 1600mhz at 850 volts (tried lower, didnt see that much of a difference) and lastly, i even bought a cooling pad with 6 70cm fans that can go up yo 2000 rpm and which can lift the laptop (its an omega cooler pad cool wave) , but still nothing has changed. i have no idea what to do anymore. after 30minutes to an hour, the CPU is back at 92-94 and the GPU is back to 87-88 celsius. i had hoped to cool it down just a little bit, but nothing came out of it. anybody know what i should tweak?
1592137474866.png

1592137497060.png

Apply proper thermal paste. Stock pasting is poor both in quality and type of paste. Had the same problem with mine. After trying several pastes, finally ended up with the right one and right method of applying. I'm with the same CPU and with the same values for undervolting all is good now.

Did you run oc scanner test and cinebench? What are the temps and score after test?

Attachments

• Sieppaa.PNG
    Sieppaa.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 262
  • cine5.PNG
    cine5.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 268
Best indication for poor paste job is big difference in temperatures of different cores. If it's more then 10 degrees C like on the second screenshot, it's definitely the case.

And can you post your hwinfo for cpu tdp settings

Best indication for poor paste job is big difference in temperatures of different cores. If it's more then 10 degrees C like on the second screenshot, it's definitely the case.
Intresting. I didnt think that.

Can you post your cinebench scores and temps after test?

I think youre right, after few tests. But can you posts userbench? Its hard to get everything work sametime.

UserBenchmarks: Game 82%, Desk 134%, Work 100%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H - 92.9%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 (Mobile) - 76.6%
SSD: Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2 1TB - 300.4%
RAM: Samsung M471A1K43DB1-CTD 2x8GB - 84.4%
MBD: Lenovo 81Q4

Attachments

• hwinfo.PNG
    hwinfo.PNG
    134.3 KB · Views: 267

All screenshots right after CB20 test.

Asus G731GW
Intel Core i7-9750H
Nvidia RTX 2070

I was having thermal throttling from day one. Then started using TS. When this didn't help as much as I wanted, started repasting. Been through MX4, ArcticSilver5, etc. All of them worked for a week and afterwards - starting to raise temps again up to thermal throttling (and differences in core's temps of more then 15 C - this was the bell ringing). Finally decided to try Noctua NT-H2 (while waiting for my liquid metal to arrive) and this was the one that fixed the things so far (my LM is still waiting in the drawer :D ). Applied very thin even layer of paste - almost transparent. I read somewhere, that old pastes were degrading in temps more than 80 degrees, which are common in newer chips and I assume this was probably one of the reasons for my bad experience.

Last edited:

All screenshots right after CB20 test.

Asus G731GW
Intel Core i7-9750H
Nvidia RTX 2070

I was having thermal throttling from day one. Then started using TS. When this didn't help as much as I wanted, started repasting. Been through MX4, ArcticSilver5, etc. All of them worked for a week and afterwards - starting to raise temps again up to thermal throttling. Finally decided to try Noctua NT-H2 (while waiting for my liquid metal to arrive) and this was the one that fixed the things so far (my LM is still waiting in the drawer :D ). Applied very thin even layer of paste - almost transparent.
Looks good. My temps at temp is about the same, but max has always about over 10c different after test. Overall this is working good but its good to know that I can maybe fix that by repasting cpu.

I think you can get much more for the gpu with unvervolting it and overclocking by afterburner. =)

Attachments

• stable.PNG
    stable.PNG
    214.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
The temps are after a CB20 test on a cool laptop, right after starting with turned off background apps and WiFi. If I use it for more then half an hour, and make the test again (with everything working in the background), the temps hit 88 C, which is anyway far form the 95+ degrees in the beginning. In heavy games, after more than half an hour, the temps average at 80 C (+/-3), and hitting max 86-87 C. GPU peaks at 70-71, and before it was hitting 75. With TS Off, the things are much worse ;)

I've tried with AfterBurner, but there was no visible improvement and gave it up. Either I can't set it right or there is no benefit in using it in my case.

The temps are after a CB20 test on a cool laptop, right after starting with turned off background apps and WiFi. If I use it for more then half an hour, and make the test again (with everything working in the background), the temps hit 88 C, which is anyway far form the 95+ degrees in the beginning. In heavy games, after more than half an hour, the temps average at 80 C (+/-3), and hitting max 86-87 C. GPU peaks at 70-71, and before it was hitting 75. With TS Off, the things are much worse ;)

I've tried with AfterBurner, but there was no visible improvement and gave it up. Either I can't set it right or there is no benefit in using it in my case.
Ok. I think throttlestop is gift from the god (unclewebb). :D

Cache is only limiting thing. I cant undervolt it anymore. I think everything else can be.

Attachments

• ddddd.PNG
    ddddd.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 242
Definitely. This guy saved a lot of people from psychical disorder, sleepless nights, suicidal attempts and not to forget the retailers lives :D :D And he's still responding to every single thread, trying to help everyone. Damn, wish there were more people like him.

Definitely. This guy saved a lot of people from psychical disorder, sleepless nights, suicidal attempts and not to forget the retailers lives :D :D And he's still responding to every single thread, trying to help everyone. Damn, wish there were more people like him.
Im working at semiconductors and I "understand" many things that manufacturers are doing but I dont understand why they are
sawing their own foot by limiting the power so that you can't even bypass it even if you know what you're doing at your own risk

Have to answer again to this. I installed fresh win10 and changed from achi to rst. I also disabled all intel shit in bios.
This is very intresting :D Why now temps are ok?

Attachments

• lastrun.PNG
    lastrun.PNG
    284.4 KB · Views: 160
Have to answer again to this. I installed fresh win10 and changed from achi to rst. I also disabled all intel shit in bios.
This is very intresting :D Why now temps are ok?
And you haven't repasted it?!? That's more than odd. I doubt it has something to do with software, but why not. Each core is utilized at 100% during tests, so it should have nothing to do with the SW. Probably your paste have settled over time...

And you haven't repasted it?!? That's more than odd. I doubt it has something to do with software, but why not. Each core is utilized at 100% during tests, so it should have nothing to do with the SW. Probably your paste have settled over time...
No Im not. I dont know yet, but I think its something to do with the SW. Because now I dont have any problems with latency or anything else.