• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unable to get my processer into higher c states on battery unless I disable my nvidia gpu (device manager)

matthewg371

So I have an msi ge66 raider laptop with an i7-10750h and an rtx 2060. Whenever im on battery I will get around 6-8 watts power draw from my cpu when it is idle. The only way I could get it to go down to 0.5-2 watts idle was to the disable the nvidia gpu in device manager. I am therefore somewhat convinced it must be the reason for the higher power draw. I however set my preferences to integrated graphics as my global setting in the nvidia control panel and when I use the monitoring in control panel it never says my nvidia gpu is being used by an application. It also has 0 percent usage constantly on task manager. Also another thing to add, I couldn't get my cpu into the higher c states when the gpu was running for some reason. Once it was disabled my cpu happily went to c7 when idle.

Has anyone has a similar issue or would have any idea on a fix for this such that I don't have to disable my Nvidia GPU every time I need some battery life from my laptop.