• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

CMD_LINE

For us using 3 cables of analog to get the 5.1, what is going to be our best driver option?

Right now I just went ahead and installed Asus Maximus VII's news Realtech HD 2.75 which for the first time, doesnt have anything broken. The sound studio works in it, which with some tweaking almost sounds like the cyrstalizer from soundblaster and with the bass boost, I can make it actually make rap sound like rap.... somewhat....

I have to use matrix style channel mixers to get the audio to do what I want. All I want is the @#$@@#@# ... @#$@@@.... Audio to do what it should... A 2.1 audio source, should put 2.1 on and when it sees the 2 back or side speakers, copy the 2 front channels EXACTLY to the back.

If you used the CMSS or whatever from soundblaster products and cant get your music to do what you want, get foobar and then download the CHANNEL MIXER. Turn it to 6 channel and tell it to use the sub. Then till it to copy the audio instead of mixing.

For Codecs... if using CCCP's latest beta, they have gone back to FFMPG or what ever the open source codec is. It has a Matrix Mixer, so you can put a 1 where you want the audio to come out...

predprey

@CMD_LINE
IIRC, there should be a speaker fill option in the speaker enhancements tab, perhaps that's what you're looking for?
I don't really think there is a "best" driver option. I just prefer to have the newest update for drivers. As for stuff like Dolby HT and Soundblaster, it's really up to personal preference, since audio artifacts can become more evident from such SFX. Personally, I do have a ZXR and I use it most of the time.

Danpil

But stereo audio from Chrome, Firefox, old games and other programs only outputs in the 2 front speakers.
For You Tube and other music from the net, I use the Internet Explorel. And the sound is excellent on all speakers :)

Tatsumak

Hi folks, first of all I wanna thanks to 2bad and all the people of this thread for the contribution and information I have learned here.

I installed the drivers from first page (2bad) and worked like a charm for me. So I've seen the version 2.75 from predpray and I've decided to change. For me everything have worked 5.1 except the videos on pc. Even youtube and music from internet (using chrome) works. Since I haven't changed nothing, except the driver version, could someone please help me to make it works again?

In resume, my videos with 2ch were "emulated" to 5.1ch (all speakers), and now is only on the speakers front (L/R).

System Name hp OMEN X 900-000NX
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard hp Munich-S Z170
Cooling Asetek liquid cooling
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133 Hynix
Video Card(s) hp GTX1080 Founders
Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Display(s) LG TV 43 UJ670V active HDR
Case hp OMEN desktop X 900
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Keyboard SteelSeries hp OMEN
Software Windows10 64bit hp OMEN edition
Hi folks, first of all I wanna thanks to 2bad and all the people of this thread for the contribution and information I have learned here.

I installed the drivers from first page (2bad) and worked like a charm for me. So I've seen the version 2.75 from predpray and I've decided to change. For me everything have worked 5.1 except the videos on pc. Even youtube and music from internet (using chrome) works. Since I haven't changed nothing, except the driver version, could someone please help me to make it works again?

In resume, my videos with 2ch were "emulated" to 5.1ch (all speakers), and now is only on the speakers front (L/R).

Thats the trick here , that's why only R2.73 or 71 works properly as it fully enables DTS INTERACTIVE and DolbyDigital Live which do all the upconversions from 2.0 to 5.1 , ie music or movies that has PCM2.0 audio only.
I was battling with this and I came to conclusion it is not only the on DLL that has been replaced from R2.73 it has to be something else too that's why all newer drivers don't work correctly. Until someone finds the link between this "something" and modified DLL we possible will not have a fully operational driver DTS/DDL enabled drives like R2.73/71 , the one who did it (2bad) is inactive as far as I can see.
When you use the DLL from older driver with NEW one what works is DIGITAL OUTPUT and PASS THROUGH but not DTS INTERACTIVE or DDL
I hope you understand there is differences between native 5.1 DTS , 5.1 Dolby Digital , DTS INTERACTIVE and Dolby Digital Live and how the channels are distributed respectively to the standard .

Last edited:
Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
this is how it should work :
if you select DTS Interactive as DEFAULT PROFILE it will always play 5.1 24bit 48Khz regardels of the source 2.0 , DTS , Dolby Digital
if you select DOLBY Digital Live as DEFAULT format it will always play 5.1 16bit 48 Khz regardles of the source
this two do all the upconversions form one to the selected standard respectively
when ever you set 2 ch in DEFAULT FORMAT what ever you want in terms of bit rate or KHZ all 2.0 sounds will be played in that order bur DOLBY and DTS will be PASS THROUGH and plays on their native format . this goes for any 5.1 source doesnt matter wha kind of player what matters is the stream .

I like to use as DEFAULT FORMAT "DTS Interactive" and have everything upconverted to 24bit/48khz regardles of the native streem and format it also has a higher dynamic range then DDL

Tatsumak

@dvojinov
Thanks, I understand the difference, I was thinking that have another solution because the change of driver, but your explanation made me understand the things. I'll maintain the changes that I have made so far, I only feel differences when watching a movie. If this don't pleases me, I'll change back.

Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
I hope that 2bad will have a look at this forum and do his magic again :)

Tatsumak

I don't know what happened but the 5.1ch in videos worked again. Since my last post, the only thing that I had done was shut down/reboot my pc. Just wanna to share with you guys that its working again like it should.

predprey

AFAIK, DTS Interactive and Dolby Digital Live are just audio formats for transmission to a receiver. DTS Neo: and Dolby Prologic II are the ones responsible for the upmixing. So even if DTS Interactive or Dolby Digital Live is activated, it doesn't mean audio is automatically upmixed to 5.1. Only Dolby Prologic II seems to be working in these drivers though.

System Name Leviathan MK II
Processor i7 6700K
Motherboard Maximus VIII Hero
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Video Card(s) 980 Ti Strix OC
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z and XL2420G
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
AFAIK, DTS Interactive and Dolby Digital Live are just audio formats for transmission to a receiver. DTS Neo: and Dolby Prologic II are the ones responsible for the upmixing. So even if DTS Interactive or Dolby Digital Live is activated, it doesn't mean audio is automatically upmixed to 5.1. Only Dolby Prologic II seems to be working in these drivers though.
That is correct. Just because you have DDL or DTS:I on doesn't make everything output 5.1, it makes everything output Dolby Digital or DTS Digital. The source audio has to be multi-channel for the surround to work. If the source audio is stereo and it's being played over all the speakers, then that is your audio receiver doing that, not DDL/DTS:I

Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
I have to disagree on this Sponhandle ,
DTS interactive and DolbyDigital Live if working properly will upconvert any 2.0 audio to (simualted) 5.1 on an 5.1 speaker system .
I have my Logitech Z 5450 Decoder set to service mode where I can see on display what stream is played and identified .
When I set as default fomat DTS INTERCTIVE , evrything is played 5.1 even from Winamp or Aimp 3.0 and DOLBY DIGITAL BR even if I chose form the BR menu Dolby it will still be played as DTS and this is not done by my Decoder but by the computer and sound card . If I want to to this from my Speaker Decoder ..I can but I have manually to chose from the Speaker System if I select it DIRECT it will take what ever stream is send from the sound card DIGITAL OUTPUT in my case connected with TOS LINK .
However like in many cases when drivers are not set corectly nad DTS INTERACRIVE is shown but doesn't upconvert 2.0 sound to all speaker it means it is actually broken .
In my case when ever I chose any newer driver from 2.73 and just replace modded dll , both DTS interactive and Dolby Digital LIVE doesn't work correctly it doesn't map through all speakers ..keep in mind it is SIMULATED 5.1 you cant get something out form 2.0 if it isn't there but it may be simulated ..some people like it including me many doesn't .
In this case what works is DTS and DOLBY native as pass through so every of this streams will be played respectively to their standards. Tested hundred's of time an I lost count of combinations with modded dlls and new drivers.
However R2.73 and modded dll works perfectly . There is screenshot and explanation about it in pages before .

Last edited:
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Something else gents not to mistake "speaker fill" or other software techniques are nothing like DTS:I or DDL .
DTS:I/DDL will use prediction methods and try to simulate what should be send to Surround speakers and center so you don't have the full audio spectrum on this speakers , you will most likely hear ambiance sound , some of instruments ..ect. Speaker fill is a technick to FILL all speakers with the same contest and it doesn't do any magic .

Processor i7 6700K
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
Dolby Digital Live is intended for use with games, and requires the game to have multichannel audio. DDL takes the multichannel audio and encodes it as Dolby Digital surround. If the game is stereo it will be encoded as Dolby Digital, but still be stereo unless you then simulate surround (i.e. Dolby Pro Logic) with your receiver.

Directly from Dolby:
"Dolby Digital Live works inside your PC or game console while you play, encoding the 5.1-channel audio in the game's audio engine into a Dolby Digital output bitstream. This makes the audio compatible with all Dolby Digital 5.1 playback systems, including A/V receivers, home-theater-in-a-box (HTiB) systems, and integrated 5.1 speaker systems. It also makes connecting your PC or game console to your home theater easy. All you need is a single S/PDIF connector.

The real-time interactive capabilities of Dolby Digital Live make it ideally suited for games. It reproduces audio cues and effects that remain faithful to the game developer's sound design, and it does so without introducing perceptible delays between the action onscreen and the sound coming from your speakers."

Dolby Digital Live / DTS : I is not necessary on DVDs, Blu-Rays, Netflix (windows 8 Netflix supports Dolby Digital Plus),etc. as the audio is already encoded, you just have to configure your playback software correctly to output the encoded audio and a decoding playback device.

A similar discussion on tomsguide.com from years ago reiterates this:

"Dolby Digital Live encodes any audio stream to Dolby Digital format. Note, if the source is beyond 5.1, the extra channels are dropped. Also note, no upmixing is performed (2.0 audio encoded using Dolby Digital Live will still output as 2.0 audio, even though the format itself is 5.1; Dolby Pro Logic/CMSS3D can still be used to upmix, however).

Dolby Digital Live has one purpose: To make a 5.1 stream fit over an optical/coaxial digital connection. (Uncompressed 5.1 audio is too large to fit over a SPDIF connection, where compressed formats like Dolby/DTS are small enough to fit)."

and

"Basically, if a game used 5.1 and digital SPDIF was the connection scheme, only 2.0 would be outputted unless DDL was used, in which case the full 5.1 could be carried over the wire.

On the other hand, if the game used 2.0 and DDL was used, the output is still 2.0."

Dolby Digital Live and DTS:I do not upconvert 2.0 audio, all they do is compress the audio in realtime to transmit on S/PDIF to be decoded by a DD or DTS decoder, that's it. However, since DDL / DTS:I are real time encoding any multichannel audio, if there is a display on the receiver of the active channels, it will always say 5.1 whether the audio is actually 5.1 or not. So while playing stereo music for example, the receiver will still indicate that the source is 5.1 because DDL/DTS:I is enabled.

If you have any sources that state otherwise, I'm all ears, but until you have a source I'll trust the research and extensive testing that I have done on the matter with various PCs using these modded drivers and receivers that have DTS and DD decoding while playing games

Last edited:

FM

Hi! Previously, I used a modified driver HD.271 + ATI HDMI output H.270 Realtek on the configuration ALC 887 + Radeon HD4870h2 and could play a sound, Dolby DIGITAL llive to hdmi.
But now I changed my video card HD7950 and can `t install the driver, it does not fit, you need a newer version of which is contained in the Catalyst.
Please, modify driver AMD HDMI output version 7.12.0.7719 + so that he could work with DDL
Sorry for my english, translated "Google translator"

This sounds like my current use case - I've got the HD 6950, which does support the old Realtek HDMI driver, and indications in this thread are that it's possible to get DDL through those drivers somehow. It's working no issue directly off the motherboard's TOSLINK, in everything I've tossed it at; I can't seem to get any kind of passthrough working, but the TV's got a Dolby Digital logo right at the front, so I'm assuming it's supposed to decode it (if not passthrough).

In my case, I need Dolby Digital to come into my TV through HDMI, so I can passthrough to the TOSLINK which hooks up to my 7.1 headset decoding the DDL. (This is mostly necessary because I like my wife to be able to watch me play games while also getting surround; unlike, say, the PS3 or PS4, PCs can't seem to output sound to more than one device at a time. Maybe I should test the passthrough with the Wii U (which has no TOSLINK)...) Honestly, if I could get Dolby Digital to hook into the TV's virtual surround, even if I couldn't then take it and bring it over to the TOSLINK reciever, I'd be quite happy!

Andrewx64

I am stuck at figuring this out again, how should I install this to get my Dolby/DTS working. And give me some steps how to do this. I tried reading other posts i have a MSI G45 Z87 ALC-1150 chip and had it working before I reinstalled windows again. I have TestSigning ON and Integrity disabled. And have DisableProtectedAudioDG=1. Give me a step by step tutorial I can't seem to get it working.

Andrewx64

Ok I think I might know my problem I havn't installed any updates for Windows maybe thats why Im getting the Test tone failed.

predprey

Ok I think I might know my problem I havn't installed any updates for Windows maybe thats why Im getting the Test tone failed.

Try Method A1:
1. Download 2.75 drivers from Realtek website.
2. Replace file in the official driver with the one here.
3. Disable driver signature enforcement from advanced startup when installing. To get into advanced startup for Win8, hold shift and press restart in the charms menu. For previous Windows versions, press F8 on startup.
2. After installation, open Run, type in "regedit" without quotes. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1.
3. Restart normally.

IIRC, I got test tone failed with Method M1 when system is not rebooted in test mode and "TESTSIGNING ON" and "DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" are not added to boot configuration. That's the problem with M1 as these needs to be on permanently for the driver to work. Method A1 had test tone failed when I did not add the "DisableProtectedAudioDG" key, but that's only all it requires IIRC.

Don't think test tone failed is due to Windows not being updated.

Andrewx64

Update: I have managed to get the driver 2.71 working with A1 now I can't seem to get the DTS interactive enabled for DTS digital. Is there any way I can get this enabled now. DTS connect picture.

Attachments

• DTS.jpg
    DTS.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,221
Last edited:
System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
I can't believe people are even messing with that whole driver signing business. It's not worth it, especially since it leaves your system vulnerable AND end up with an ugly watermark on your Windows desktop. I read even the watermark removal tool causes problems on your system...

PS: I tested this on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Fantastic! Works flawlessly! Many thanks from the Great White North!

:rockout:

predprey

Update: I have managed to get the driver 2.71 working with A1 now I can't seem to get the DTS interactive enabled for DTS digital. Is there any way I can get this enabled now. DTS connect picture.

that's for DTS Neo: which doesn't seem to work. To get DTS/DDL go to default formats and choose them. To get Dolby Pro Logic, right click the speaker icon in taskbar, open the speaker properties, there's a tab for it there.

Andrewx64

Dolby Home Theater is not working is what I'm saying. I know to click that speaker icon and check mark the Dolby Home theater but it doesn't seem to work. I've seen a post where someone said to do something but I can't find that post now. I had these working like a week ago with the same drivers 2.71 A1. And some how with the M1 driver RTKVHD64.sys. Which enabled the DTS Connect Upmixer.

Last edited:

predprey

Dolby Home Theater is not working is what I'm saying. I know to click that speaker icon and check mark the Dolby Home theater but it doesn't seem to work. I've seen a post where someone said to do something but I can't find that post now. I had these working like a week ago with the same drivers 2.71 A1. And some how with the M1 driver RTKVHD64.sys. Which enabled the DTS Connect Upmixer.

Try using IE to go youtube or using windows media player to play some music. Dolby PL2 only seems to work if program audio output is 2.1 and below. Some programs such as chrome outputs 5.1 by default, with the other 3 channels blank, so PL2 does not recognize them as upmixable.

if you want chrome to be upmixed
@Amazo
add "--try-supported-channel-layouts" to its shortcut parameters.

Last edited:

MrSockPuppet

Many thanks to the OP for enabling this feature. Why motherboard manufacturers do not simply provide it out of the box is beyond me!
(I remember owning an nforce2 motherboard to enable dolby back in the day).

I managed to unlock Dolby on an ALC-1150 chip. It works... sort of.
Getting the receiver (a Creative Inspire 5.1 5500 DOLBY DIGITAL only set) to pick up the signal proves to be finicky at best!

When setting the audio manager to Dolby Default format, no sound is produced over SPDIF.
When setting any Studio Quality option, the receiver WILL decode Dolby, but only if the original source is pre-encoded Dolby (AC3). DTS obviously does not work.

Is there a way to have Windows output every sound in DDL?
It's worth mentioning I'm using the 10041 Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Thanks for any assistance.

Processor i7 6700K
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
I can't believe people are even messing with that whole driver signing business. It's not worth it, especially since it leaves your system vulnerable AND end up with an ugly watermark on your Windows desktop. I read even the watermark removal tool causes problems on your system..

The solution is to use the dll (alternate method) correctly.

Also, with the below method, you don't even need to change back the dll to the original DLL, it will use the unlocked one without complaining (I'm guessing due to the DisableProTectedAudioDG registry setting).

All you need to do is:

1. Download the Realtek 2.71 driver and replace it's DLL(s) with the unlocked ones from the first post of this thread (Alternate method). Also, right click the unlocked dll file, under the General tab, click on "Unblock", then hit "Apply".

2. Then, Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio"
add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1.

3. Finally run the Setup.exe for the driver you downloaded (and replaced it's appropriate dll). it will ask you if you want to install an unsigned driver, just say "Yes". It will automatically uninstall any Realtek driver you have and install your hacked driver. Only needs one automatic reboot.

That's it!

Both DTS Interactive and Dolby Digital Live option are selectable and work as intended.

PS: I tested this on Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

I've tried this multiple times but must have missed the regedit entry. It works perfectly and now I don't have to have the stupid test mode watermark. Thanks!

Has anyone gotten this method working on any newer driver versions? (2.73 or 2.75)