• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

vBIOS for AGP DX11 core-swap

Khenglish

I decided to try out soldering an HD 6570 core onto an AGP HD 4670 in attempt to make the world's only DX11 AGP card because the 6570 was only $20, and I had the tools for it so why not. The surgery went well, but very unsurprisingly the card is not happy with either the 4670 or 6570 vbios.

nocore.jpgdone.jpg

4670 vBIOS:
Card is fully powered on. Core and vRAM voltage are confirmed as correct.
POST with blank screen.
GPU initially turns on but quickly stops. This implies the GPU crashed during initialization (makes sense with the wrong core vBIOS code).

6570 vBIOS:
Card is fully powered on. Core and vRAM voltage are confirmed as correct.
No POST. I think the uninitialized AGP is fighting with the mobo and causing an overcurrent situation.
GPU fan runs. This implies the card at least internally completed its startup.

I don't know of anywhere else with more experienced AMD/ATI bios modders, so I posted here in hopes that one of you would happen to have the knowledge to create a vBIOS for this monstrosity so that AGP can finally make its long overdue jump to DX11. I think the card would work if it had a custom vBIOS. It powers up and is reading the vBIOS chip, which indicates that the core is in fact electrically compatible with the pcb. I think it should work with either 6570 core code injected into the 4670 vBIOS, or an AGP section added to the 6570 vBIOS. I looked at a PCI-e 4670 vbios and it looked very different so nothing stood out to me as a simple change for AGP support. Both the 6570 and 4670 PCBs are very similar, with the major difference being the PCIe-AGP bridge chip. vbios dumps are attached with the extension changed to .txt for allow for upload.

Attachments

• 4670agp.txt
    64 KB · Views: 48
  • 6570.txt
    64 KB · Views: 43

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Gddr3 vs gddr5? The aint gonna work

Khenglish

Both cards use 16 bit DDR3 modules. RAM is correctly powering up to 1.6V.

Your are correct that GDDR3 and GDDR5 cores are electrically incompatible. RAM is shorted and can't power on when attempted.

Last edited:
System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
@Khenglish This was an interesting thing to try and thank you for having a go even if it worked or not :)

It got me thinking tho because i recently seen the reverse engineered 3dFX Voodoo 6000 card.

Not sure if this has been tried before but if you or anyone else can pull it off rather than trying to swap the GPU die how about making a custom PCI or PCIe to AGP convertor riser cable/card thing.

Last edited:

Khenglish

@Khenglish This was an interesting thing to try and thank you for having a go even if it worked or not :)

It got me thinking tho because i recently seen the reverse engineered 3dFX Voodoo 6000 card.

Not sure if this has been tried before but if you or anyone else can pull it off rather than trying to swap the GPU die how about making a custom PCI or PCIe to AGP convertor riser cable/card thing.

That in essence is what the AGP-PCIe bridge chip is. I'm sure that could work, just a lot of design work and it won't be cheap. The bridge die is a custom ASIC with a substantial transistor count.

Last edited:

Khenglish

Well with the lack of interest in this mod I put the 4670 core back on and it works fine.

With just cap mods I increased the core max overclock from 840 to 910 MHz at stock 1.3V. There are major issues with the RAM voltage supply that I am trying to fix, where adding RAM caps makes the RAM voltage unstable. This thing is far more limited by RAM clocks than core clocks.