• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Very weird (maybe)PSU-related problem.

Cloud94

Hi . So , starting off by saying my PSU is a Seasonic SS1200-xp3 . My pc simply does not always start. I'm 90% sure it's the psu , because at the times when it does not want to start , not even jumpstarting works. Cables are definitely seated properly , no other component is damaged in any way ( except the gpu which gives brown screen hard crashes in certain games randomly , but i narrowed it down to being a lack of voltage , which might come again from the psu ) . To cope with this , i double press the start button , hold it down for 5 seconds , rinse and repeat until it wants to boot.

Note : every time it does not start , after ~3 seconds of holding the psu makes a small *click* sound and then continues on with a very very faint buzzing ( barely audible with ear on it ) . If anyone would think there is an external problem here to be solved , that would be great. Can't really do without the PC because of personal matters , have no other psu's around , and if I were to send it in for warranty , I'd wait roughly 3 weeks ( personal experience. ) . But , sadly it might just be faulty. Hopefully not. Thanks for reading!

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
but i narrowed it down to being a lack of voltage ,
How did you narrow it down and please explain what you mean by "lack of voltage". Technically, a lack of voltage does not make sense, unless it is missing completely.
have no other psu's around
This is a problem. You need to swap in a spare PSU to see if the problem persists. Alternatively, you can take the PSU to a local shop and have them test it.

Did the computer ever work properly? If a new build, a foreign object, like an extra motherboard standoff or loose screw shorting out the motherboard can cause odd behavior.

Once it start properly, does it continue to run without problems.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
I'd definitely try it another computer or try another PSU

Cloud94

How did you narrow it down and please explain what you mean by "lack of voltage". Technically, a lack of voltage does not make sense, unless it is missing completely.
This is a problem. You need to swap in a spare PSU to see if the problem persists. Alternatively, you can take the PSU to a local shop and have them test it.

Did the computer ever work properly? If a new build, a foreign object, like an extra motherboard standoff or loose screw shorting out the motherboard can cause odd behavior.

Once it start properly, does it continue to run without problems.

It is merely an assumption about the voltage thing. When I keep the power limit maxed in afterburner , the problem doesn't arise as often.

Yes , computer worked well ( as in , always started ) . I bought a new gpu ( a 980 that required 2x8 pin ) , and the PSU i had did not have 2 8 pins , only 1 , so I bought a new PSU . Once I swapped the gpu and the psu , this problem arised , when the PC does not always boot ( should I add , also does not always restart ) . I know it's not the gpu because the problem persists with no gpu installed. Thing is , I'd want to know if it could possibly be a different problem other than manufacturing one , because I'd really try not to send it in for warranty. Thanks

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Breadboard the system.

Try the psu on another system.

Try different poweroutlet. On separate circuit.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
I've seen this happen a number of times and it has been everything from USB devices, power supplies, to mainboards...
You'll certainly want to test further to any extent possible, a multimeter is a handy tool, inspect capacitors as well.

By 'jump starting' are you jumping the pins on the power supply or the power switch pins on the board?