• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why are Fractal Design cases like the Torrent not as impressive for GPU temps?

zfz

Why do the some of the best Fractal Design cases with excellent cooling for CPU have less impressive temps for GPU? In particular, cases like the Torrent/Torrent Compact is comparable if not better in CPU temp to cases like Lian Li Lancool II Mesh and Phanteks P500A (which are at the top for both CPU/GPU), but is consistently hovering around average to below average in GPU temps among great airflow cases. [Torrent Compact is consistently 3-6 degrees warmer](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGBQcYvsgFM&t=1154s) than these two cases and even the larger Torrent being an apples-to-apples comparison with its 3 fans is 5 degrees warmer.

All 3 cases only include 3 front intake fans (edit: I did not realize the Torrent includes 3x 140mm bottm intake fans for the GPU) (2 larger fans for the Torrent Compact) that is used for the best and nothing else so it's a pretty even comparison. Just curious with regards to design since all 3 cases are really similar. Actually, if you look the benchmarks, Fractal Design cases in general rarely do great in GPU temps (average to slightly above average in most cases) even if they are great with CPU temps.

To be clear, the case is certainly great overall and GPU temps are above average in general, just that there's a clear difference in GPU temp between other top cases that excel at both CPU and GPU. Actually, pretty much all FD cases have underwhelming GPU temps when you consider their simple mesh designs with front intakes. I don't see any obvious areas of improvement. I don't think it has to do with the front filter because CPU temp is still excellent. In fact, I would think noise-normalized thermals test (most practical/realistic test by GamersNexus IMO) would favor the Torrent best because of the massive fans which should blow more air while also being quieter. Fractal's fans are quite decent.

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
If I had to guess, it's because the cases with bottom-mounted AND front-mounted fans overwhelm the GPU fans.

Look at any GPU cooler; Half of the hot exhaust air exits the fin stack on the top edge, the other half on the bottom edge. If there's too much direct airflow and high positive pressure underneath the GPU, I'm thinking that it does one or both of two things:
  1. The GPU fans pushing air through the lower half of the GPU fin stack are being countered by an area of relatively high pressure caused by four 120mm fans all aimed at one location that is sandwiched between the GPU's PCB and the motherboard. This simply results in lower airflow rates through the lower half of the GPU fin stack. To massively oversimplify it, imagine blowing into a tube from both ends at the same time. In this case, the tube represents half of the GPU heatsink, and you have GPU fans blowing into one end and case fans blowing into the other end. The net result isn't actually a deadlock because that's a grossly oversimplified model, but you get the idea....

2. Hot exhaust air from the lower half of the GPU fin stack doesn't have enough momentum to overcome the fast flow of air directed right at the GPU intake fans, so it does't get expelled far enough away from the GPU to dissipate into the larger case volume. Instead, it's entrained back into the GPU fans raising the temperature of the intake air for the GPU.
Ensuring the hot air escapes is significantly more important than getting cold air to the intakes. IMO cases like the Torrent focus too much on the latter without considering the implications on the former.

I've not been a practising engineer for two decades, but I do have an engineering degree and wrote a dissertation heavily leaning into thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, so my guesses aren't 'wild' guesses, they're based on a few years of hard studying, a two-trimester project, and several exams modules. You should still take what I say as guesswork though, it's literally just that.

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
I like Gamersnexus and watch most their case reviews but they gear most reviews towards stock configuration of the case which isn't very useful imo. A good example is the 011 XL comes with no fans so they only populate 3 which nobody buying the case will do.

As far as the FD Torrent results my guess is the top design with the psu blocking all the majority of the exhaust other than the rear fan is the main culprit in my 011 XL if I turn off the top fans while stressing my GPU the temps go up quite a bit even with the single rear exhaust while turning off the side intake makes no difference turning off the bottom intake jumps temps again quite a bit.

Gamersnexus also continues to use very low end hardware throw a 4090 and a 13900k in some of those smaller case and they will be terrible even though they score well with a quad core and a 970.....

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
They are using what they had up to this point.
If they "throw it out", they will have re-test ALL cases they already have data for up to this point.

System Name His & Hers
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Storage lots of SSD.
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
They are using what they had up to this point.
If they "throw it out", they will have re-test ALL cases they already have data for up to this point.

I totally understand why they are using it I'm just pointing out taking their results with low end hardware by todays standards and applying the results to somthing that consumers 50-100% more power won't give you the same results so while their reviews are good for comparison at a baseline a lot of how they test doesn't really apply unless you are going air cooling with lowish end hardware.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Gamersnexus also continues to use very low end hardware throw a 4090 and a 13900k in some of those smaller case and they will be terrible even though they score well with a quad core and a 970.....
It doesn't matter how high their test load is, that just changes the absolute temperatures of their test - You only care about the relative results.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
If I had to guess, it's because the cases with bottom-mounted AND front-mounted fans overwhelm the GPU fans.

Look at any GPU cooler; Half of the hot exhaust air exits the fin stack on the top edge, the other half on the bottom edge. If there's too much direct airflow and high positive pressure underneath the GPU, I'm thinking that it does one or both of two things:
  1. The GPU fans pushing air through the lower half of the GPU fin stack are being countered by an area of relatively high pressure caused by four 120mm fans all aimed at one location that is sandwiched between the GPU's PCB and the motherboard. This simply results in lower airflow rates through the lower half of the GPU fin stack. To massively oversimplify it, imagine blowing into a tube from both ends at the same time. In this case, the tube represents half of the GPU heatsink, and you have GPU fans blowing into one end and case fans blowing into the other end. The net result isn't actually a deadlock because that's a grossly oversimplified model, but you get the idea....

2. Hot exhaust air from the lower half of the GPU fin stack doesn't have enough momentum to overcome the fast flow of air directed right at the GPU intake fans, so it does't get expelled far enough away from the GPU to dissipate into the larger case volume. Instead, it's entrained back into the GPU fans raising the temperature of the intake air for the GPU.
Ensuring the hot air escapes is significantly more important than getting cold air to the intakes. IMO cases like the Torrent focus too much on the latter without considering the implications on the former.

I've not been a practising engineer for two decades, but I do have an engineering degree and wrote a dissertation heavily leaning into thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, so my guesses aren't 'wild' guesses, they're based on a few years of hard studying, a two-trimester project, and several exams modules. You should still take what I say as guesswork though, it's literally just that.

I just helped a friend built a Torrent Compact-based system. The Torrent series in its default config is set up kind of like a positive-pressure wind tunnel: Big volume in through the front and out the back. The bottom grille complicates this, of course, but I wonder if he could be convinced to experiment with those front 180s reversed, considering actual wind tunnels operate on negative pressure.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

The greatest sin of modern case design is the complete avoidance of side fans. All the PAP in the world wont help you if your exhaust sucks.

There's a reason that even at 320w power draw my 6800xt sits at 70c, with the fans at 50-55%. That reason is the side fans. The heat that pours out the side is incredible, and I'm sure that most modern cases would see much higher temps simply because that heat would recirculate.

IIRC on the old Gamer Nexus website they had a compilation of CPU and GPU temps based on case, and while some modern cases were a bit better for the CPU, the then 14 year old HAF X dominated GPU temps by nearly 20c over the next best. It was the only case with side exhaust fans. In todays world of 400w+ GPUs, we need more cases with side fans, less glass and bling, more functionality.

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
I'm using a Meshify 2 Compact with all the filters in place and have a 390w 3080 12gb. 5700x is at stock. It's an extremely quiet setup. Playing at 4k maxed in games that can push that full 390w (rare when vsynced at 75hz), temps never go above 70c with a fan curve that settles around 60% and is near silent. It helps in my case (pun intended) that the end of the GPU practically touches the front case fans (mms of space) and i have an intake fan below pushing in cool air which is fed directly to the GPU fans. (The majority of the time its in the low 60s or high 50s)

I just think temps can vary with each and every setup and it's about finding the right config of fans and hardware within a case that can help determine the best outcomes. Sometimes that's just not possible. PC part picker is a good site to look at full setups and what temps they are getting and with what combination of hardware.

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
The greatest sin of modern case design is the complete avoidance of side fans. All the PAP in the world wont help you if your exhaust sucks.

There's a reason that even at 320w power draw my 6800xt sits at 70c, with the fans at 50-55%. That reason is the side fans. The heat that pours out the side is incredible, and I'm sure that most modern cases would see much higher temps simply because that heat would recirculate.

IIRC on the old Gamer Nexus website they had a compilation of CPU and GPU temps based on case, and while some modern cases were a bit better for the CPU, the then 14 year old HAF X dominated GPU temps by nearly 20c over the next best. It was the only case with side exhaust fans. In todays world of 400w+ GPUs, we need more cases with side fans, less glass and bling, more functionality.

The Cooler master 690 ii had a similar setup... I ran both 680 sli and 970 sli with excellent temps in that case. Pretty sure my 011 Dynamic XL would outperform it though handles a 450w gpu load pretty easily.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Maybe the problem is noise normalized testing?

Crank up the fan speed and you will get good results. I came from an extremely well ventilated Meshify C that was extreme overkill and now running Torrent Compact with the stock fan setup for now. It’s nice and quiet and performs strong. By quiet I meant not as loud as my last setup :D

System Name His & Hers
Storage lots of SSD.
Maybe the problem is noise normalized testing?

Crank up the fan speed and you will get good results. I came from an extremely well ventilated Meshify C that was extreme overkill and now running Torrent Compact with the stock fan setup for now. It’s nice and quiet and performs strong. By quiet I meant not as loud as my last setup :D

lol, I set up my 011XL with 7 Phanteks T30-120 and 3 ML120 PRO for the opposite reason so that while I game I can't hear my PC.... fans barely need to spin past 600RPM to keep my gpu/cpu cool....