• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wildly fluctuating FPS question

Possibly a simple question:

I am testing out Windows gaming under an old 2013 Mac Pro (Xeon E5-1620 v2, 16GB ECC Registered DDR3, 1 TB SSD and 2xAMD D300 GPUs (2GB GDDR5 RAM each, set in Crossfire mode) mainly for fun, as they've gotten so cheap it's practically pocket change to get one.

Now, I'm not much of a gamer, so an FPS count around 60 is just fine by me. Minecraft with Sildur's shaders gets me around 60FPS (with slight, but consistent dips in complex areas) as does Unturned and the brief free-to-play-period I had with Diablo IV set ono medium GFX settings.

Armoured Warfare, however, surprised me with the auto settings defaulting to Maximum for GFX settings. Thinking it was going to run like crap (the D300 is roughly equivalent to an old GTX 660, which I used to play Armoured Warfare with on mostly Medium GFX settings) I tested it out anyway and to my surprise, I was getting 60FPS (again, in Crossfire mode) with sudden dips to 30FPS at seemingly random times. This is my question, why the rapid and wildy fluctuating dips? Is it because of Crossfire? Lack of VRAM, something else?

I suspect of course the GFX settings can be toned down, but on a modest GPU such as the D300, what video setting has the greatest impact on FPS?