• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 98 se on a HP5710 thin clinet

I am trying to get Windows 98 on a thin clint HP5710 with this guys video,
i can,t make head or tales ot.it. o_OStarting from Easy2boot he has e2b 2 in his one he just has *System volime files* in mine i have loads of files o_O .E2B has fewer files in it.
- https://mega.nz/file/LgYDhKDA#7upam9A... Copy Drivers & Utilities why does he not just put them in one folder?There all seperate in mine not srperate folders like his.(4.10)There is no floppy boot image in the 98 iso (4.45)I have come to a stop at this stage with no floppy image.o_OSurley there is an easier way to do this.o_OI will have to get one with 98 all reafy installed.

If you Google for Windows 98 SE floppy image you will easily find and download the .img file.
He copies the drivers to the SECOND PARTITION (FAT32) on the E2B USB drive - if you have a removable USB flash drive and a pre-win10 system then Windows will not show you that partition - only the first NTFS partition will be visible. He uses the FAT partition because MS DOS cannot normally see an NTFS volume.

P.S. E2B already has a FreeDOS img (in DOS menu) which can also read NTFS volumes. You could use that instead of the win98 .img file to fdisk the hard disk and then copy driver files from the NTFS partition to the new hard disk volume (in case you cannot access the partition 2 on your under win 7/8 system)

P.P.S. Also make sure all filenames are 8.3 format (i.e. first part of filename is not longer than 8 characters and extension is not longer than 3 characters - e.g. ATI435.zip not ATI435_drivers.zip as long files names dont work well under DOS!

Last edited:
If you Google for Windows 98 SE floppy image you will easily find and download the .img file.
He copies the drivers to the SECOND PARTITION (FAT32) on the E2B USB drive - if you have a removable USB flash drive and a pre-win10 system then Windows will not show you that partition - only the first NTFS partition will be visible. He uses the FAT partition because MS DOS cannot normally see an NTFS volume.

P.S. E2B already has a FreeDOS img (in DOS menu) which can also read NTFS volumes. You could use that instead of the win98 .img file to fdisk the hard disk and then copy driver files from the NTFS partition to the new hard disk volume (in case you cannot access the partition 2 on your under win 7/8 system)

P.P.S. Also make sure all filenames are 8.3 format (i.e. first part of filename is not longer than 8 characters and extension is not longer than 3 characters - e.g. ATI435.zip not ATI435_drivers.zip as long files names dont work well under DOS!
Thanks for all that info Steve :)I am on Win 10 ,E2B 2 is Fat32 ,E2B is NTFS.Why has he got just one folder in there *System volume info* in one folder ?*mine has lots of stuff in there.I have put the iso in that drive.I doenloaded the boot one from your link.
I have all these folders for the drivers and utilities
Folder 1 Audeo
Folder 2 Chipset
Folder 3 Network
Folder 4 Direct x
And these on there own
GPU 6 -2
Ide hotfix
Usb98
Viasb
The guy in the video only has just three folders.o_OWhy does he not just put them in one folder?o_OI am totaly confused by it all.o_OI wish they had win 98 all ready instaled on The thin clinet ,rather than XP..o_OIf i new someone who could do this for me i would pay them for doing it.Mind you even after doing that first step you have a lot more to get it on the thin clinet.

Last edited:
When you make the e2b usb drive you can also add the agFM files to the second partition so he obviously skipped that, so no files were added to the 2nd partition.
The video is quite clear.
Win98 is very old and it is very difficult to get drivers to work on newer hardware. If you don't understand the video then win98 is not for you because even if you get it all working you can't do anything with it!