• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Worth upgrading 7 year old SSD?

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Just saying, I recall heat issues and NVMe drives. SATA drives don't have heat issues.
That's the problem, everybody "recalls" issues and keeps reporting them. But few people understand the issues.
The problem is that writing modifies memory cells. Writing uses power and generates heat. Where an AHCI drive will write at 500MB/s or so, a NVMe drive will write 4-5x as fast. That is what generates heat faster. However, to generate enough heat to cause throttling, you have to actually write 2GB/s for at least 5-10 seconds. How often do you do that, really?

Last edited:
Would I see any tangible benefit upgrading my old crucial M4 SSD to an m.2 drive when I build a new PC and carry across storage.

I've heard in real world usage it's unnoticeable but obviously benchmarks tell a different story...

Thoughts?
My experience, given the age of the drive it might be time and a good idea to get a new drive. I recommend an MLC based drive. Get a USB3 enclosure and turn your old drive into a backup drive.