• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X1900XTX Problems - Need help

PaulC2K

Processor Pentium D 2.66ghz 775 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus P5WD2-E Premium
Cooling Zalman 9500, Akasa Amber case fans (2x 120mm, 3x 80mm)
Memory 2gb DDR2-800 Geil Ultra (2x 1gb)
Video Card(s) ATI X1900 XTX w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero X2
Storage 3x 200gb (2B raid5'd), 80gb & 250gb external
Display(s) Dual 19" Viewsonic LCD VX924 @ 2680x1024
Case Thermaltask Armor
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Edition w/ Creative Labs Inspire T6060
Power Supply 600wt Enermax Noisetaker
Software XP Pro + SP2
I've already started a thread in the ATI-Tool area because that particular software makes one of the problems particularly noticeable:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=12545 (edit: i've started this one because its been about a week and ive had no replies to that one, so hoping i can get more help in the GFX area, my intention isnt to spam, i just need to know if its a dud card!)

My problems:
* When in ATI-Tool, as soon as i start up Find Max values is the screen becomes distorted in about 1" thick row, only when its doing the stress stages.
* As XP loads up just before I log in the screen is white with dark coloured boxes, like large pixels as though somethings crashed.
* The machine is just being used on the desktop its fine, but there has been times when loading up a game and it going into the 3D part its hung or crashed the system.

Its a brand new Mobo, Gfx card, CPU, Ram, PSU (Enermax 600wt) and i see no reason for problems to occure, yet they definately are.

I just needed to know if some of the issues are caused by something gone wrong in settings, if ATI-Tool is known for causing those distortions (by the lack of replies im guessing its not) or if there could be something not right that could be solved or double checked, rather than send this card back and go with-out a PC (which i work from home on) while i wait for a refund and new one to turn up etc.

PLEASE help me :)

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
update your mainboard bios, and check your card isnt overheating and the cooler is seated properly. try increasing the fan speed with ATI tool to realistic levels as well, ie 55% 2D 80% 3D.

PaulC2K

Case Thermaltask Armor
Software XP Pro + SP2
Regarding the temps, im getting 58/47/45 'c with the Arctic Accelero X2, which is 3-6'c cooler than standard cooling was. I've had the problems from the moment it came out of the box, and the cooler went on about 60hrs later as it didnt arrive till a few days later.
The only thing the card has done which could be stressful is ATi-Tool runs for about 30sec to see it making a mess of my screen, and 3DMark06 (which ran fine!), but it definately isnt running hot, and i get the errors the very second onwards of telling ATI-T to do the 'Find Max' tests.

For the Bios update, im in a bit of a pickle with that!
I hadnt done it originally cos the machine wasnt online for the first handful of days it was operational, but i've just loaded the driver CD/DVD up and attempted to put the 'Asus Update' software on, only to be told that it cant install it:

1st error: ASUS BIOSINFO.DLL
"NT Service registry error! Please reboot NT and run again" (its XP, but rebooting didnt fix that either!)

2nd error: AsusUpdate Setup (7.01.01)
"Setup program detect no ASUS motherboard. Installation will be aborted now."

Bl**dy marvelous isnt it!!
I'll see if i can download something of there website instead.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
PaulC2K said:
* As XP loads up just before I log in the screen is white with dark coloured boxes, like large pixels as though somethings crashed.*

I get that strange screen right before XP loads on a ASRock Dual mobo ... but not on my DFI RDX200 so I would assume it is mobo related...

PaulC2K said:
* When in ATI-Tool, as soon as i start up Find Max values is the screen becomes distorted in about 1" thick row, only when its doing the stress stages.*

Are you using the BETA version? ATI CCC installed? change the 3D setting to performance

PaulC2K

Case Thermaltask Armor
Software XP Pro + SP2
I've just set CCC to performance, and that hasnt solved the ATI-Tool issues.
Im using 0.25b14 i think it is, whatever was the latest as of last weekend anyway.

updating the bios might be tricky, not sure if i can update it using a floppy and the .rom file i've downloaded with the latest bios (might even try the beta one if latest doesnt help)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
PaulC2K said:
Im using 0.25b14 i think it is, whatever was the latest as of last weekend anyway.

updating the bios might be tricky, not sure if i can update it using a floppy and the .rom file i've downloaded with the latest bios (might even try the beta one if latest doesnt help)

Same issue with ATITool uninstalled and you use Overdrive? So the only issue now is the ATITool or the games still locking up?

Last edited:

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
PaulC2K said:

check temporal AA isnt enabled, last i heard atitool didnt like that one bit.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
"ATI tool to realistic levels as well, ie 55% 2D 80% 3D."

u might think those are realistic levels with the stock cooler.. i dont.. they are far too loud especially the 55% at idle..

if atitool gives problems why use it.. i dont.. or rather i do with my x850 system.. it works a treat.. but with my 1900 one its uninstalled.. it works like crap..

trog

PaulC2K

Case Thermaltask Armor
Software XP Pro + SP2
didnt get any notification on all these replies :(

The only reason I started using ATI-Tool was to get some extra juice out of my old x800pro, but i used it on the x19 because i wanted to see some temps and figured i'd look at the clock speeds and see roughly how far it can be pushed, but never with the intention of sticking with it. But instantly it started doing this distorted flickering across the screen every 1-3 seconds and the only reason im bringing this up is because it may well be a tell-tale sign, if someone's had similar and identified it as a knackered card, then i have my answer through an error instantly highlighted while running this app. Its the only time i see it though, which is odd.

Temperal AA is off, everything is unticked except for the 'let app decide' stuff, otherwise its all on low/performance settings.

Overdrive is something i just dont get!
The lock is open (no ammount of clicking locks it either, rather odd!) and this is what it says:

GPS:
Requested: 648mhz
current VPU clock: 500mhz
current temp: 48'c

GMS:
Requested: 774mhz
Current Memory Clock: 599mhz

[greyed out] Enable ATI Overdrive clocks for 3D apps only
[unticked] Preserve ATI Overdrive settings at logon

Its identical info for both monitor profiles (both of which show the error btw).

So WTF is that all about, even when i've done the automated overdrive util from what i remember it didnt change anything, it didnt seem to do anything.

I'll post this and run the overdrive util in a second, just incase it crashes my system in the process!!

PaulC2K

Case Thermaltask Armor
Software XP Pro + SP2
Fancy that, damn thing hung on me straight away!
#1 screen went black, #2 screen went white!
I've closed down ATI-Tool and trying it now (while i type) and im still getting flickers but nowhere near as frequent, but always appears in the bottom 1/3 of the screen, and covering a considerably bigger size, sometimes the bottom 1/5 will flicker, sometimes its the bottom 2/3 of the screens doing it (it covers both screens)

Ok, its just finished the overdrive bit, clicking Apply...
Smashing!!
Current VPU Clock: 400mhz
Current Mem Clock: 594mhz
Temp was at 68'c but its coming back down (55'c atm).

Anyone think this might not be a completely f**ked card then?

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Your not trying to run ATITool and CCC at the same time? If you said yes to the pop up when ATITool starts it disables services that CCC uses... only one app can control the 2d /3d clocks ... not sure what the real issue is ... you posted three at the first post ... one of which is finding max core with ATITool, it doesn't do a real good job of that. Next the garbbage screen on boot is not the card as so I assume... I would suggest you rule at the card being a issue by just not starting ATITool and not try to OC and test it with just CCC by playing some graphic intense games... maybe reinstall the drivers after uninstalling them and using drivercleaner... if it still has issues rma it..

PaulC2K

Case Thermaltask Armor
Software XP Pro + SP2
Well it seems my computer chose a slightly more perminant method than using a driver removal tool, it decided to kill my XP!
Since the last post, ive been messing about with XP installs (5 in total!!) and im finally back up and running again.

So far, i've installed normal work apps, general software etc.
ATI Driver 6.5
ATI-Tool hasnt been installed
Im not getting a weird load-up screen, but i am occasionally getting a 1/3 width (normal height) image on the 2nd monitor, but god knows why thats happening.

Still, i get the distorted screen flicker in CCC when doing the Overdrive.
I made the mistake of cancelling straight away and the stupid thing seems to have froze up cos it wont close down now! so i'll have to try a full run i guess, but this XP having never heard of ATI-Tool, its showing the same signs at the moment.

Someone in the other thread in the ATI-Tool said they needed to up the voltages a little to get running stock settings, doesnt sound too good!!
If i cant fix it by tomorrow, im mailing it back and hopefully getting my money back and i'll ditch the damn Connect3D version (was led to beleive it was an 'ATI' one!) because i dont want to let it go on and on with this 1 card incase it is faulty and im wasting my time.

Theres something not right about this whatever it is, i've not had chance to play any DX8+ games yet (!!!) as ive been too busy and tbh not in the mood to despite dishing out about $1600 in 2 weeks on this gear, but i'll give it a try.
Incidently, asside from hanging during in the 2nd demo, 3DMark06 has ran through a few times and shows no signs of problems. I just dont trust the card because of other signs!

PaulC2K

Case Thermaltask Armor
Software XP Pro + SP2
restarted the machine and CCC's overdrive got things as high as: 689/774 - 89'c
then things froze up 3/4 through, both screens went black and then the ATI prevention thingie popped up, and it looks like its given up and short of clicking cancel i get the impression that was an aborted run and its not going to close down properly. Yup, wont close.

This things deader than winklepickers & flairs!

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Paul .. Unless it's a dual monitor issue for whatever the reason it sounds like the card, unless you have another mobo to test in I'd rma or return it... even after a clean install and you still have issues.. if you need to up the voltage to run 3d clocks without an issue then the card is screwed up ... that by default should not be the case...

Optimist

Processor AMD X2 4200+
Motherboard Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe
Cooling Water on CPU
Memory 4*1GB Corsair XMS
Video Card(s) Asus EAX1900XT
Storage 2*Raptors 36GB in raid 0
Display(s) SyncMaster 1200NF 22"
Case Tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 550W
Software Windows x64
well i havnt tryed the ATItool yet, but i can tell you that 1 ting the flicker is the core speed changing ( have you read the satages ATI tool goes through when its finding it max mem, it does tons of shit and might give some wierd results).
Regarding the temp, i have had my Card max out at 86C, and still running fine, though when i clocked it up to 690/800 i got weird black boxes in 3Dmark.

Another thing the card acturaly powers down at the windows loadup, thus the flickering when windows boots, if something is wrong it might give wierd results there too.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
the overdrive bit is simple.. u "request" a 3d speed by sliding the bar up.. when a fullscreen 3d app (game) fires up the card attempts to run at the requested speed.. there is no guarantee it will of course..

but u will never get to see your card running at these requested speeds cos they only do it while the game is running full screen..

as soon as a game is alt tabbed or windowed it will all drop back to the default 2d speed.. 500/600..

for what its worth.. my 1900xtx at the full allowed "requested" of 690/800 (my card will run at these speeds okay) runs at about 88c while gaming..

nothing u do with the requested speed will alter your default 2d speed of 500/600.. at these 2d speeds my card runs at 48c.. the temp change from one to the other very very rapid.. just a few seconds..

if u leave the ccc running so u can see the temp read out.. do a quick alt tab out of a game and have a quick look at the temp read out it will be near your gaming temp.. leave it too long and it will be back down at your 2d temp..

atitool has never worked with my 1900 card i dont use it.. with my x850 card magic.. but not the 1900..

trog

Last edited: