• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xfx 4870

kreg

Ive been having some issues with my 4870 512Mb GDDR5..

Ive been trying to get rid of some artifacts while running EvE online in windowed mode, without luck trying new drivers and settings no luck..

So i gave up on the windowed mode, and just tapped in and out, but a few weeks ago my card started showing a new behavior, on occasions the screen turns black with white dots and a reset is required..

So ive been speculated a bit, that this might be caused by powerplay..

Some months back i flashed the bios on a few cards for my buddy has his Asus 4870 was unuseable when gaming.. But finding a bios for the Asus cards was easy as they were posted with a guide, on a different forum.. but ive sadly lost the bookmark..

Now im looking for something with the information to do so and a updated and safe bios for my XfX 4870 512mb.

Current Bios version: VER011.010.000.002.029896
Device ID 1002 - 9440 Subvendor XFX pine group 1682
HD-487A-YHFC

Last edited:
System Name Betty The Dirty Dragon
Processor AMD 8350 @4.8
Motherboard ASUS sabertooth rev 2
Cooling Watercooling - Swiftech GTZ - XSPC RS360 - XSPC RX120
Memory 8GB corsair vengeance cas 9
Video Card(s) 280x 1100core 1600 mem
Storage 240 gb ssd- 2 tb Storage
Display(s) Samsung 24" 2433BW
Case Corsair 650d
Audio Device(s) Xfi Fatality Titanium Pro
Power Supply XFX 850 fully modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
check the xfx website, they have the latest bioses for cards.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
sounds like either a bad card, or a bad PSU not giving enough power

kreg

Xfx's site doesnt list any bios updates, just mailed their support

The system is being pulled by a 900w Seasonic Psu, which should be sufficient

jazzan0va

Xfx's site doesnt list any bios updates, just mailed their support

The system is being pulled by a 900w Seasonic Psu, which should be sufficient

Hi there,

I have the OC version, the Radeon™ HD 4870 512 MB DDR5 XXX (HD-48ZA-YDDC).

Iam experience the same behavior as you, the white dot's on the screens and the alt+tab in some cases crashs the profile used in the CCC, and also, but in some cases, annoying flickers in all games. Thats my conclusion so far.
What i did after, flash the BIOS with the one available in the XFX site, witch i had in my case (DONT DO THIS!).
The first behavior ive detected was, in idle mode, the graphic had 78ºC allways. BIOS profiles clocks were 775Mhz(GPU) n 950Mhz(memory) in every profile. Witch before was 200Mhz n 500Mhz (45ºC) in idle mode. But the readings in the ATI Overdrive were correct, 750-775Mhz n 900Mhz-950Mhz. Never got it working after... So, ive opened a ticket in XFX Support. And they said that i had to rollback the BIOS, and they would send me the correct one. Witch they did! But ive had problems flashing the BIOS using the ATI Winflash (Bad P/N), so ive created a boot startup with the atiflash utility, but i had to force (-f) to the previous BIOS. So i got back to the same problems i has having....

And now, i dont use ATI Overdrive anymore... . But i hate to see the temperatures in 78ºC in stress mode. What i do when i have a freeze (CCC usually), is to wait (doesn't work in every situation) and then "Restart Runtime" CCC. And it works for now...

Iam looking for a software that controls the FAN independently from the CCC... But every one so far has a minimal 50% FAN speed (What a noise)!!!

If you have any thought's, just say it
Regards,

kreg

A few months back i was looking at the exact same issue on two Asus 4870's and turns out it was the powerplay feature fooking over the card when tapping and causing general instability..
The softfix for this was to clock the card in 2d mode to 3d mode speeds, as the powerplay feature wouldnt come into effect as the card never swapped speeds..
But this wasnt really a valid fix in my oppinion so after a few mails with Asus, they kindly supplied a new Bios which solved the issue.. (sadly dont have the files stored anymore)

Ive now been talking back and forth with XfX the last two days, and their general responds is stuff like: Bios is fine, stop whining about it, but you PSU is insufficient for the card...
WAIT WHAT??? Gonnna see if i cant make em see their errors over hte next few days, or the card might get replaced for one of different brand tbh..

Clouds4brains

Hi there,

I have the OC version, the Radeon™ HD 4870 512 MB DDR5 XXX (HD-48ZA-YDDC).

Iam experience the same behavior as you, the white dot's on the screens and the alt+tab in some cases crashs the profile used in the CCC, and also, but in some cases, annoying flickers in all games. Thats my conclusion so far.
What i did after, flash the BIOS with the one available in the XFX site, witch i had in my case (DONT DO THIS!).
The first behavior ive detected was, in idle mode, the graphic had 78ºC allways. BIOS profiles clocks were 775Mhz(GPU) n 950Mhz(memory) in every profile. Witch before was 200Mhz n 500Mhz (45ºC) in idle mode. But the readings in the ATI Overdrive were correct, 750-775Mhz n 900Mhz-950Mhz. Never got it working after... So, ive opened a ticket in XFX Support. And they said that i had to rollback the BIOS, and they would send me the correct one. Witch they did! But ive had problems flashing the BIOS using the ATI Winflash (Bad P/N), so ive created a boot startup with the atiflash utility, but i had to force (-f) to the previous BIOS. So i got back to the same problems i has having....

And now, i dont use ATI Overdrive anymore... . But i hate to see the temperatures in 78ºC in stress mode. What i do when i have a freeze (CCC usually), is to wait (doesn't work in every situation) and then "Restart Runtime" CCC. And it works for now...

Iam looking for a software that controls the FAN independently from the CCC... But every one so far has a minimal 50% FAN speed (What a noise)!!!

If you have any thought's, just say it
Regards,

From experience, my xfx 4870 for some reason detects my memio as the main temp diode so it is the memio that is shown in ccc as your temps, memio runs hotter than all the other temps ( dispio, shaders ).
My core is running at 40c idle. memio is running 58 idle, if its the same with yours 78 on load is fine but sounds abit high for idle, are you using stock cooling?

Clouds4brains

Ive been having some issues with my 4870 512Mb GDDR5..

Ive been trying to get rid of some artifacts while running EvE online in windowed mode, without luck trying new drivers and settings no luck..

So i gave up on the windowed mode, and just tapped in and out, but a few weeks ago my card started showing a new behavior, on occasions the screen turns black with white dots and a reset is required..

So ive been speculated a bit, that this might be caused by powerplay..

Some months back i flashed the bios on a few cards for my buddy has his Asus 4870 was unuseable when gaming.. But finding a bios for the Asus cards was easy as they were posted with a guide, on a different forum.. but ive sadly lost the bookmark..

Now im looking for something with the information to do so and a updated and safe bios for my XfX 4870 512mb.

Current Bios version: VER011.010.000.002.029896
HD-487A-YHFC

Whats your clocks?
Have you tried underclocking your mem and core? ( good idea as it worked for me on a asus 4850 with dodgy ram )

Clouds4brains

HD-487A-YWFC
xfx 4870 512mb
Heres my stock bios if you need it, only difference i see is bios string.

Attachments

• RV770.zip
    45.8 KB · Views: 254

jazzan0va

Thank you for the replys,

iam currently using stock BIOS witch came with this OC version XFX HD4870 XXX

But ive used the VER011.020.000.006.031747 from the ftp://www.xfxsupport.com/public/BIOS/487AYDD.zip. (BAD CHOICE!)

But the ATI Overdrive didn't worked correctly in both BIOS, now i dont use ATI Overdrive, neither CCC. Latest ATI drivers and ATI Tray Tools, and the problems so far are gone.

I have to try out the new Catalyst 9.10, witch they solved a quite long list of issues.

kreg

Yeah im using stock cooling, but airflow in the case and temps are sufficient to keep the card at nice levels..

I honestly dont see unclocking the card as a valid solution tbh.. you pay for a card and expect it to be running the listen speeds.

I guess im just gonna return the card and get a refund or another brand