• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Radeon RX 7900 XTX Merc 310 OC

Lightning_Touge

Hi,

I'm a new guy here. In the teardown it's mentions the XFX logo is ARGB illuminated but I can't see any software in XFX's website. It's not controllable correct ?

Cey074

The VRM stage is exactly the same as with the reference card. So the only difference is another 8-pin-connector. Is this really so important? When using a proper power cable, 180-200W over one 8-pin-connector should be okay, or not? Meaning: Shouldn't you be able to get the same OC results (proper cooling given) when MorePowerTool will allow to crank up the TDP on the reference card?

Nkd

50-70W increase to achieve 1-4% at best in realized performance gains, however that overclocking headroom provided by the extra power is certainly something. Too bad XFX bodged the cooler design again and it's yet another heat trap that needs to blast the fans to compensate. They're getting better though! It's still cool to see GPUs that can push up to 3.2GHz on air.
I got this card. XFX profile is just agreesive. I have custom fan curve and literally you can set the card to max 40% and it never gets there. IDK why they went so agressive may be due to time constraint. But this cooler doesn't have to be as loud as it is. My temps are cool as well core in the 60s and junction in the 90s with custom fan and nearly silent.

moicestkarl

Any feedback from the XFX 7900 XTX owner ?
I'm about to buy it for 1199€ (I'm from France)
I would like to be sure that there is no bad surprise in term of drivers or whatever :D
(I currently have a GTX 1080)

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom WC
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz C16 @ 3800MHz C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XTX (MBA)
Storage 2x SN770 2TB, 4x 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) Asus MG279Q
Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 (Mods: Front mesh panel, improved top panel for airflow)
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850
Mouse Logitech G700S
Keyboard Cherry MX-Board 3.0
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/fs/29041947 https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/84973091
Great review as always W1zzard :) .

Any feedback from the XFX 7900 XTX owner ?
I'm about to buy it for 1199€ (I'm from France)
I would like to be sure that there is no bad surprise in term of drivers or whatever :D
(I currently have a GTX 1080)

Recently got a sweet XFX Merc RX 7900 XTX. I would say somewhat better sample than Nitro+ I got also.

Plus Merc was £1052 vs £1300 on Nitro+ at the time, now it's £1200.

moicestkarl

Great review as always W1zzard :) .

Recently got a sweet XFX Merc RX 7900 XTX. I would say somewhat better sample than Nitro+ I got also.

Plus Merc was £1052 vs £1300 on Nitro+ at the time, now it's £1200.
Thank you for your kind answer.

I ordered and already receive it.
I'm very glad with the card.
No issues at all with drivers or anything.
It's a little bit noisy at 100% load,I have to teak a little bit the curve.

I scored 25.004 in Time Spy.
Here is my OC : 500 - 3080 Mhz
1090 mV
VRAM 2750Mhz
+15%

Maybe I can do better with the OC, but I'm a newbie and I don't need much ah ah.

If you have any tips, I take it ! Cheers

Treason686

For anyone considering this card, I found it extremely loud even with custom fan profiles. I wouldn't recommend it based purely on that.

I ran into several software issues as well. The card took 10-15 seconds after Overwatch to increase frequency, making things stutter really badly until the card "warmed up."

In addition, after waking from sleep, the card regularly wouldn't go above 50 percent clock speed until I switched GPU profiles back and forth. I assume these issues will eventually be fixed via driver updates, but they were still present as of a couple weeks ago.

These were major annoyances for me, and I was luckily able to return it to Amazon. I was really disappointed with this card.

Meyus

For anyone considering this card, I found it extremely loud even with custom fan profiles. I wouldn't recommend it based purely on that.

I ran into several software issues as well. The card took 10-15 seconds after Overwatch to increase frequency, making things stutter really badly until the card "warmed up."

In addition, after waking from sleep, the card regularly wouldn't go above 50 percent clock speed until I switched GPU profiles back and forth. I assume these issues will eventually be fixed via driver updates, but they were still present as of a couple weeks ago.

These were major annoyances for me, and I was luckily able to return it to Amazon. I was really disappointed with this card.
That's probably just your unit ^^
Mine is neither loud, nor does it have any frequency issues and it clocks well above 3,3GHz

Treason686

That's probably just your unit ^^
Mine is neither loud, nor does it have any frequency issues and it clocks well above 3,3GHz
Possibly, but I don't think so. The frequency issue is clearly a software problem from my point of view. It's possible it was some bug specific to my system configuration. I had the latest AMD drivers which actually made the problem worse, so I rolled back to the previous version. I also looked to see if there where any BIOS updates from XFX, but couldn't find any.

As for the noise, this and every other review has it as one of the louder cards out there. I think this card being classified as loud is a pretty safe bet. I could hear the fans through my headphones when they got going. It's possible I could have spent more time adjusting fan profiles, but for $1200 or whatever I paid for it, I shouldn't have to. I was into that kind of thing when I was younger, but these days my gaming time is too limited and I want something that's basically plug and play.

It was definitely the loudest card I had ever owned. It's possible coming from my previous card (Gigabyte 3080 Eagle) I was going to be extra sensitive to any sort of increase in noise. For what it's worth, I was lucky enough to be able to just walk into a Microcenter and buy an Asus 4090 TUF to replace it and it is barely audible in comparison. It definitely has a low hum when gaming, but I can't hear it unless I take my headphones off.

But if you're happy with it, that's all that really matters. On paper, it's a far better value than the 4090 and especially the 4080 IMO. I also loved the build of the card, and the supporting mounting bracket is a great solution that other manufacturers should copy. For me though, it didn't work out. Just sharing my experience with the card in case it might be relevant to anyone else thinking of buying one.

Possibly, but I don't think so. The frequency issue is clearly a software problem from my point of view. It's possible it was some bug specific to my system configuration. I had the latest AMD drivers which actually made the problem worse, so I rolled back to the previous version. I also looked to see if there where any BIOS updates from XFX, but couldn't find any.

As for the noise, this and every other review has it as one of the louder cards out there. I think this card being classified as loud is a pretty safe bet. I could hear the fans through my headphones when they got going. It's possible I could have spent more time adjusting fan profiles, but for $1200 or whatever I paid for it, I shouldn't have to. I was into that kind of thing when I was younger, but these days my gaming time is too limited and I want something that's basically plug and play.

It was definitely the loudest card I had ever owned. It's possible coming from my previous card (Gigabyte 3080 Eagle) I was going to be extra sensitive to any sort of increase in noise. For what it's worth, I was lucky enough to be able to just walk into a Microcenter and buy an Asus 4090 TUF to replace it and it is barely audible in comparison. It definitely has a low hum when gaming, but I can't hear it unless I take my headphones off.

But if you're happy with it, that's all that really matters. On paper, it's a far better value than the 4090 and especially the 4080 IMO. I also loved the build of the card, and the supporting mounting bracket is a great solution that other manufacturers should copy. For me though, it didn't work out. Just sharing my experience with the card in case it might be relevant to anyone else thinking of buying one.
I have not been on in a while. I just got this card so I thought I would chime in :) With Graphics cards I have always had NV :) ATI/AMD so fan of both. I picked XFX XTX I like the look. I've never bought a graphics card based on some review. So yes this card untouched and reviewed the fans will be loud. When 3080 just launched we got 3 of them Gig and ASUS and Zotac. The Zotac just screamed when 100% load man this thing lol was loud. A simple fan curve applied and if you listen very hard you might hear it at full load. And it never touches 76c. Its just a given meaning you always play with the fan curve be it graphics card or CPU blah blah blah. Graphic cards they (some) set it aggressively so you always adjust it. Now reviewing most don't touch it. Some will over clock (most now do) and still don't touch the fans.. anyway

So not here to doubt just to share and every review I saw read said it can be loud but I have yet to read one saying "one of the louder cards out there". One review said "at 60% fan curve OC could never hear it. 50-60c junction 81c was the highest it ever got". All depends on who you want to listen to and then quote. Oh and what Techpowerup said was "Very loud with "Max Power BIOS". <--this I did read a few times.

For me the only time I thought about money was when the total was $1800+ Sucker was the only word that kept popping up. 4090 is way over price.. for me not worth it at all. 4080 same every one is over $1299. So paying $1049 is really close to msrp. So I just waited till prices went down and AMD had a chance to FIX software issues. I have always had both.. don't have the 3DFX any more ;)

EDIT
Ok so I got the XFX and "if" I never touched the fan speeds "Treason686" is right its loud. I have good air flow so I put them on 50% and the junc temp never hits 76c at 100 load. So far I LOVE IT! Yeah its no louder then my other fans.

Last edited:
I just got my XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black last week. I set the fan curve to max out at 60%, and it can barely be heard and the temps stayed at 69 at stock settings. At stock in MST Kombustor it scored 4,776 @ 79 FPS. Then I then did a slight overclock, undervolt profile in Adrenaline software to 500 min frequency / 3,080 max frequency / 1090 mv . That raised the FPS to 82 and LOWERED the temps down to 66.

worried_lobster

I just got my XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black last week. I set the fan curve to max out at 60%, and it can barely be heard and the temps stayed at 69 at stock settings. At stock in MST Kombustor it scored 4,776 @ 79 FPS. Then I then did a slight overclock, undervolt profile in Adrenaline software to 500 min frequency / 3,080 max frequency / 1090 mv . That raised the FPS to 82 and LOWERED the temps down to 66.
thanks for this, I've been looking for an adrenalin OC profile for this card! just curious, have you got the 'max power bios' switch on? thanks!

thanks for this, I've been looking for an adrenalin OC profile for this card! just curious, have you got the 'max power bios' switch on? thanks!
Hi Lobster, nope I did not change the switch on the video card to use the max power bios. I read a few different reviews where the professionals tried it and could not determine a difference. So, I left it alone for now. Perhaps with a future bios release it will be different. Who know. lol

derrien.eydan

Display connectivity includes three standard DisplayPort 2.1 ports (RDNA2 had 1.4a) and one HDMI 2.1a (same as RDNA2).

It is wrong, like on most models

----> (x)

Outputs

DisplayPort 2.1: 2x
DisplayPort 1.4: 1x
HDMI™ 2.1: 1x

Powercoler write on Hellbound ...

1 x HDMI 2.1,3 x DisplayPort 2.1
(only 2x simultaneous DP2.1 connections can be supported)
this applies to all models with this type of connection!

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
W1zz what Mv did you achieve your clocks at and what temps if you don’t mind me asking. Feel free to give me a few day ban if I missed it in the review. I’m just trying to see where I landed in the silicon lottery with my card.

With the stock cooler if it goes over 2950 at 1025Mv it locks up and below 2850 at 90Mv it’s fine. I saw the voltage frequency graph and it looks like around 1120Mv is the sweet spot.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
W1zz what Mv did you achieve your clocks at and what temps if you don’t mind me asking. Feel free to give me a few day ban if I missed it in the review. I’m just trying to see where I landed in the silicon lottery with my card.

With the stock cooler if it goes over 2950 at 1025Mv it locks up and below 2850 at 90Mv it’s fine. I saw the voltage frequency graph and it looks like around 1120Mv is the sweet spot.
Sorry I don't remember, and didn't record that info back in the day, now I do

Motherboard Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600@3400 CL18
Video Card(s) 6GB KFA2 GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Storage SAMSUNG NVMe SSD 970 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, WD Blue HDD 4TB
Display(s) DELL S2721DGFA
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 2
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS 850 Watt ATX 3.0 Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V3
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600@3400 CL18
Video Card(s) 6GB KFA2 GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Storage SAMSUNG NVMe SSD 970 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, WD Blue HDD 4TB
Display(s) DELL S2721DGFA
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 2
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS 850 Watt ATX 3.0 Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V3
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
The PCB clearly only has 2 cutouts for PCI-E connector tabs
exactly, so why are those two pictures with 2 8pin connectors, and the others with 3 8pin?
1706258666498.png

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
System Name Personal rig & Folder
Processor R9 5900X (VRM-B2) @ 180W/160A/140A | Mfg Wk03/2022
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120 w/ 3x P12, MX-6
Memory 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 8Gbit Rev.E (DR) @ 3800CL15-18-8-17-34-54-540-1T @ 1.45v, 1900MHz FCLK
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Devil 6600XT @ C2800MHz/M2300MHz (Samsung) @ 192W TGP | MX-6, TP-3
Storage 1x SK hynix Gold P31 1TB (boot), 1x 2TB TeamGroup MP33 Pro, 1x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD 5900RPM
Display(s) 1x Gigabyte M27Q, 1x Dell 2007WFP, 1x Dell E152FPg
Case Phanteks P500A (non-digital) w/ 4x 140mm Arctic P14 PWM PST CO fans
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K-TC (USB) -> beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm)
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Core RGB
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/machinelearning/ ~ https://hwbot.org/team/warp9_systems/