• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Advice PC building Virgin.

Geeb

Im sure your all tired of these posts so ill try and make it easy for you guys. I want to know whats a good AMD AM2/AM2+ Mobo to go with the 64 X2 6000+ Windsor? I havent purchased the Windsor yet but im planning to build a PC suitable for WOW(and perhaps starcraftII) and Music Production, the current x2 3800+ isnt cutting it anymore for games. and do you guys think i should even go with the windsor? I also want room on the mobo for upgrading just incase i need an extra pci or pci-e slot.

As for gaming i wont be doing anything hardcore but i do want to run most current games that do demand too much. I already have the PSU secured and an 8800GT secured. the other parts outside of the mobo and processor i get for a huge discount at work. thanks.:respect:

System Name death machine
Processor intel 6600 quad core cooled by scythe mutgen 2
Motherboard dfi lanparty UT P35-T2R
Cooling air
Memory crucial ballistic tracer 4 gb
Video Card(s) nvida 260 gtx
Storage segate baracuta 500 GB , western digital blue 1TB
Display(s) asus 23.6 vh242h
Case lian-li pc-a70 full tower
Power Supply 650 watt Antec Earth Watts
Software windows 7 and lots of other titles
go Intel its superior to amd at the moment get a e6300 or something like that is a lot better and for a mother board go asus, dfi or gigabyte

Processor Core i7-930
Motherboard Asus P6T
Memory 2x2GB Corsair DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus HD4850-1GB
Storage OCZ Summit 120GB
Display(s) Dual Dell SP2208WFP 22in
Power Supply Corsair 520HX
If you're intent on staying AMD, which I would if I want to have an upgrade path (as AM2+ is compatible w/ AM3 procs but only DDR2). Instead of the 6000+ Windsor, if you read a little more through the forums in regards to overclocking, you can get a Black Edition Athlon X2 that easily achieves 6000+ speeds (and then some with little effort). Or even better is to get the phenom as they're dirt cheap now and gives great bang/buck for the lower price segments.

As for a motherboard (if you're looking for full atx) is the Asus M3A78-T which has the much better (read: fixed) SB750, and in the case of a micro atx with lots of upgrade potential is the DFI 790GX-M2RS which actually have dual PCI-E 2.0 x16 physical slots (runs at 8x PCI-E2.0 speeds = 16x PCI-E1)

With the Intel systems, they sure are faster yet if you're looking at a longer lifetime and upgradability path, I think AM2+ is your best bet!

Good luck and have fun w/ your build!

the_professor

If you're intent on staying AMD, which I would if I want to have an upgrade path (as AM2+ is compatible w/ AM3 procs but only DDR2). Instead of the 6000+ Windsor, if you read a little more through the forums in regards to overclocking, you can get a Black Edition Athlon X2 that easily achieves 6000+ speeds (and then some with little effort). Or even better is to get the phenom as they're dirt cheap now and gives great bang/buck for the lower price segments.

As for a motherboard (if you're looking for full atx) is the Asus M3A78-T which has the much better (read: fixed) SB750, and in the case of a micro atx with lots of upgrade potential is the DFI 790GX-M2RS which actually have dual PCI-E 2.0 x16 physical slots (runs at 8x PCI-E2.0 speeds = 16x PCI-E1)

With the Intel systems, they sure are faster yet if you're looking at a longer lifetime and upgradability path, I think AM2+ is your best bet!

Good luck and have fun w/ your build!

I'm also building a computer - http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=73664 - and have noticed that there appear to be multiple choices available for motherboards that match the 64-bit quad core AMD Phenom X4 9950, Black Edition (140W). I've seen the ASUS M3A78-T, though is that the ideal one for the 9950? Are there other choices that possibly offer equal or better options that match that CPU? I'm worried that I might get the wrong motherboard. Thanks! :)

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Geeb, where have you secured an 8800 GT? Check my sig as I know Kyle2020 on the site is offering a great deal on one of the TOP editions.

Processor Core i7-930
Motherboard Asus P6T
Memory 2x2GB Corsair DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus HD4850-1GB
Storage OCZ Summit 120GB
Display(s) Dual Dell SP2208WFP 22in
Power Supply Corsair 520HX
I'm also building a computer - http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=73664 - and have noticed that there appear to be multiple choices available for motherboards that match the 64-bit quad core AMD Phenom X4 9950, Black Edition (140W). I've seen the ASUS M3A78-T, though is that the ideal one for the 9950? Are there other choices that possibly offer equal or better options that match that CPU? I'm worried that I might get the wrong motherboard. Thanks! :)

Personally I have to say the M3A78-T is the best choice for the 9950BE, however if you get the 9850BE there have been users who had compatibility issues w/ it, if that's the case the GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H is a great choice if you're looking to go for ATX at a relatively fair price. However I still think the DFI LP JR 790GX-M2RS is a great choice with a lot of options in bios etc (Micro-ATX though, they actually have the standard ATX version as well at Newegg [just search 790GX in power search], so it really just depends on your expansion needs but I've only dealt w/ the mATX version)

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Has anyone ever seen this knife before and can it really be used on a bayonet? It is said that it can fit together with a AK47 rifle. Maybe it is a copy of some old military knife that was used back in one of the wars? The website that it is on is www.lducompany.com I am wondering if it can fit on any other types of guns or rifles. Does it look like something that would be used by Chinese, Koreans, or Russians. Here is a link to the knives page http://www.liangdianup.com/knives_1.htm and it is the knife with the number 406023 right at the top of the page.Any help would be appreciated before I order it all the way from China :)

Who uses bayonets anymore? It's like fighting with maces and shields, are we back in Ultima days?