• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xigmatex NRP 850w Issue - works on one mobo but not the other

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
I know I've read about this but never had it happen to myself before... I'm building a system and picked up a Gigabyte P55a-UD3 with a I3 530 and OCZ PC3 12800 mem. I hook up the Xigmatek psu and it just powers up then shuts off...

I pull off the shelf a DFI P35 TR2 and hook up the same PSU and it fires right up. I then take a PC Power and Cooling plug it up to the Gigabyte mobo and it fires right up.. What's the deal? Is there something this Gigabyte mobo is looking for on the circuit that the Xigmatek isn't supplying?

I got a good deal on the Xigmatek 850 $108.79 US and have been using them for sometime now and never had a problem... OEM is Channel Well

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Early version of the Enermax Galaxy series had these problems as well, but usually with DFI boards, and not the other way around as you have now. If it's a multi-rail PSU, something on the board could connect two 12v rails, and cause this problem. Might be something else as well, but more than likely it's due to the motherboard's power routing.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Early version of the Enermax Galaxy series had these problems as well, but usually with DFI boards, and not the other way around as you have now. If it's a multi-rail PSU, something on the board could connect two 12v rails, and cause this problem. Might be something else as well, but more than likely it's due to the motherboard's power routing.

Thanks Cadaveca .. I prob need to set it up with more of a load across the rails.. on the work bench right now...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, could be as simple as making sure you have a fan or something plugged into each rail.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
I was using a X300 PCI-E that doesn't require any power cables connected and threw in a X3870 X2 and shazam we have ignition Houston... :toast:

So I presume it was a load issue...

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
congrats on the problem solving and the new kit;)

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
congrats on the problem solving and the new kit;)

Thanks Peet but its for one of mates ... I still have my X48 DFI and a 5970 w/ wb... to busy to rip it out and replace it right now... plus it still runs pretty good with the Q9650 so maybe this fall I'lll look at upgrading

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
my x48 tr3 was a complete failure twice, glad to see someone got one to work long term;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
So I presume it was a load issue...

As was on the enermax units. There's been many reports of ugly hand-soldering on these units...seems they realized the issue, and on my own unit, they've bridged the rails so that exact situation doesn't happen...