• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NAS Enclosure with Built-in BitTorrent Client

System Name Rampage 3.0
Processor i7 3770K 4.2Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Cooling Corsair 110 (280mm rad)
Memory 16GB G.Skill Sniper F3-1866 10-11-10 CR1
Video Card(s) 2 X gigabyte 7970 ghz edition @1100mhz / 6000mhz
Storage samsung 500 GB + 128GM crucial M4 ssd
Display(s) LG IPS235P 23in IPS 1080p
Case corsair vengance c70 - white
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair HX-750w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
I am sitting here bored surfing the net at work when i come accross the NAS Enclosur with a bit-torrent client (http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_287_365&products_id=5676), are these setups worth while or are they just a waste of time, i am only interested as i dont like using my pc at home to do a lot of downloading as it is a power whore and just wastes power sitting there...

Dose anybody know this particular encloure, if so what is the bit torrernt software like? is it any good, dose it offer good control over the torrents for example Utorrent dose because i like to control the upload/download speeds, for example when i decide to game online i lower the upload speeds...

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
i don't have any idea about the NAS w/ torrent client, but i'm about to (~ an hour) resurrect an old P4 machine, bare bones as hell to act as a torrent client. my plans are to throttle it back as far as possible, drop a small 250 watt PSU, and run passive cooling. no vid card, no keyboard or mouse (after initial setup), no bull shit. of course, micro torrent (an old build, 1.6.1) will run 24/7. and its free

Last edited:

synaesthesia

Processor Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard Asus P5k-e WiFi/AP
Cooling Air - Scythe Mugen, twin 120mm fans
Memory 8gb OCZ Platinum DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI 5770
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 60GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 & F3 1TB
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW
Case Zalman GS1000+
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply Silverstone ST75F 750w Modular
Software 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores Bronze Swimming Certificate
I'll side with Tau on this one; again I've experience with Synology hardware and both the diskstation and cubestations have full BitTorrent support and they're stonking performers & good looking too.
Ideal really, I hate leaving my Boeing sponsored PC on overnight for the sake of a torrent :)

Tau

I'll side with Tau on this one; again I've experience with Synology hardware and both the diskstation and cubestations have full BitTorrent support and they're stonking performers & good looking too.
Ideal really, I hate leaving my Boeing sponsored PC on overnight for the sake of a torrent :)

I have used pretty much every single Synology product on the market, all the way up to their rackmount NAS's and they are SOLID units.

A quick look at the review shows performance is far from great, the experience I had with QNAP so far shows far better numbers. However both are relatively expensive solutions if it's just for bittorrent. Building your own little server is most likely cheaper. It will lack the ease of use though. (not that it won't be easy to use, prebuilt NAS devices are just extremely easy to use)