• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you participate in endgame content?

Do you participate in endgame content?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • No.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • If the game world is engaging.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • GOTTA GET THE EPIC LOOTZ!

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters
System Name Crukins
Processor Intel i7 8700k @ 5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Memory 16GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS RX480 Strix 8GB @1345MHz
Storage Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB + 5.25TB HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SE790C 34" Ultra-wide/Curved 3440x1440p 60hz
Case Corsair 750D Obsidian
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System/Roccat Kave XTD 5.1 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Modular
Mouse Corsair - Dark Core SE + MM1000 Mousepad
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX - Blue Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
create one's own business. now that is actually an awesome idea. of course it would be more profitable to do that in the real world ahha

Lol too true, but not when it's set in sci-fi or fantasy :laugh:

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
This isn't just limited to MMOs but, to a certain extent, it is. Do you have to get the absolute best gear possible? Do you have to re-run XYZ instance 15 times for ABC ability?

When you max out your character's level do you feel obligated to continue playing the game?

Yes. Obligated is the key word and for several reasons :

A) Clan/Guild or playing partner
B) General addiction
C) In hopes of getting the best items

Do you have to re-run XYZ instance 15 times for ABC ability?

No, have never played an MMO since the original EverQuest, where actually using skills increased their value. But if you rephrase it to "running an instance for items," then yes, that's the end game for all modern MMORPG. And 're-run' is the crucial aspect here, as carrot-stick mentality is how the developers keep players engaged until they release new content.

Unfortunatelly all the nonsense and bullsh!t that goes with MMO endgame is seriously destructive to health and well-being.

Obviously no one is forcing people to stay up late and attempt another 'boss run' for the nine hundredth time, but would it kill developers to ensure that all attendants to a successful 'raid' actually walk away with something useful?

I think the idea that people will quit if they get 'uber' items too soon or too easy is nonsense and paranoid thinking.
When people get uber phat lewtz they like parading around the virtual world showing it off to other morons who are living in a fantasy and actually care about such useless crap.
And they also want to go actually make use of that new weapon, shield or armor.

Who on earth would spend time doing end game scenarios and acquire new items only to then quit?
If anything it would encourage them to stick around more and help others because at least while they are helping(as that's one of the things you get stuck doing at end game), they can enjoy it more with their new items.

And yes, like computer components, MMO items get outdated, and sometimes fast.
Given how much time spent in obtaining such things, it's a real salt in the wound.

Most of the problem is rooted in this concept that MMOs have to be about community and communial advancement. Yes yes, sure they say, you can solo for a while, but for when you get serious(sounds like a Marcy home-gym) you have to group/raid...and in order to do that you probably have to clan, and then you have to go do a bunch of pre-requisite quests, which are more or less mini raids, and require assistance from people who have already done it and probably don't want to help...and then after those quests, you have to schedule and attend the raid - and that comes with it's own separate set of headaches such as the hour long wait with continous chat bubble pop-ups of lame 'your mom' jokes by fifteen year olds with the subsequent "LMAO" over and over, and the annoying 'wifey' of one of the senior clan members (because you know, every clan has to have at least one 'couple') who puts herself on auto-follow for the entire raid and conveniently shows up when you're looting the boss and walks away with something she didn't earn.
Then you have to do quests within the raid to get to the boss, and then when you get to the boss, you have to down it and stand around with fingers crossed that out of the dismal five items it drops, one will be for your class, and none of the other twenty similar classes there needs it, and that you win the roll.

And if you don't..there's always next week - and on the mention of 'next time' what the hell is with 'lockout timers?' Seriously, do they think people are going to raid 'too much.' And what motives drive them to not want people to raid 'too much?' Is it altruistic in that they are concerned for people's health, or because they don't want people to get items too soon and too easily? I scoff at the latter, especially given how difficult it is to even raid, let alone get an item you can use anytime soon. On top of all the bullsh!t, to then turn around and say you have to wait to do it again is ludicrous. People have lives, schedules and they should be able to PLAY when they want to play -hell they are paying for it. It's not like people waltz into a raid and come out in ten minutes with every item imaginable. At least they could let you try it as many times as you like...it's your time and money, not theirs.

Should they actually make MMOs without an endgame, but still allow for heavy group play from the early levels, then you'd somewhat appease both sides of the arguement.
But what they do is just make 'elite' mobs for 'group quests' to keep you group-happy until you raid later on.

Unfortunately, by end game, mobs that were soloable at level 79 are now not soloable versus their level 80 counterparts.

Ultimately, 99% of MMO end game results in three things :

A) Reroll a new character/class (because for some reason, idiotic devs can't learn to utilize a job system like FFXI/FFXIV, so you don't have to start ALL over).
B) Raid raid raid!
C) Quit and 'take a break' until new content comes which you can do in about two weeks and be back right where you started.

This is why offline type MMO/RPG are the best. You get that sense of immersion and 'big world,' but without all the online nonsense and demands and time structures and morons you find on the internet. The only downside is that you don't get weekly maintenance/updates/patches and the world is only evolving if DLCs or mods are released. Still..it's a lot better than playing the same old crap online with the same old idiots and you can do that on your own time at your own pace and reap your own rewards.

I payed, and I played.

Simple concept - someone should get on that bandwagon, they could make a fortune.

Last edited:

Thassodar

System Name BNSAUCE
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard MSI 870-G45
Cooling Case fans, Zalman HSF
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair XMS3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATi Radeon HD 6950 (Unlocked Shaders)
Storage Samsung 2TB 5400RPM, 1.5 TB Seagate 7200RPM, 500 GB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) AOC e2243Fw 21.5" Monitor
Power Supply Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
So I've been playing the endgame of Rift for about 5 days now and I have to say I am enjoying it. Being my first time doing endgame stuff in a MMO everything is relatively new to me. The quest for the best gear is pretty cool, money is my main motivation though. The ability to switch roles on the fly is pretty awesome too. It hasn't converted me in to a "EPIC LOOTZ" guy yet, but I'm getting there slowly. The ability, the feeling, of being able to roll through pretty much any zone and not worry about being jumped by a mob or player way higher than you is pretty cool too. I strolled through the opposing faction's main area with no problems just the other day.

I don't know, I can't say I'm disappointed now that I hit the level cap. I never saw a reason to continue forward once you got there, in other MMOs. Since there are other people near or hitting the level cap in my guild I have more incentive to play with them. I can almost safely say Trion has me locked down for another month.