• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PirateBay shut down?

Will you miss PB?

• Sure thing, it's an old pal of mine.

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Nah, let it burn.

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • It was about time, for retirement. There are way better trackers.

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Relax, it is going to come back in a few days.

Votes: 55 57.9%
  • Me? Pirating software?!? No way, officer.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, the example was used earlier and not by me to describe how it could make things legit, you are right with the file sharing and piracy bit but that's my point, they are the same thing in my opinion if the owner has NOT given their permission, I am no expert on the subject and like you I don't use pirate software but simply sharing something that was sourced without permission surely cannot make things legal?

Their copyright claims you cannot lend unless you have permission of the owner to do that. Then sharing becomes illegal. :shadedshu:

Little misunderstanding here. I mean file sharing in general. I'm not talking about spreading movies and warez.

You know, many people scream "piracy" when they hear word torrent. But how many times so many people had situation when they have their legit product keys but lost their media (or can't download it because server is down or overloaded). Let's say copies of untouched iso. You torrent it, check md5 and apply your real key. No hacking, no cracking. Just downloading media that won't work without legit key anyway. Or downloading some demo/shareware/trial version from torrent when all official sources are unavailable. Is it really theft? It won't hurt anyone.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
System Name BlueKnight
Processor Intel Celeron G1610 @ 2.60GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PH (rev. 1.0)
Memory 1x 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz (Kingston KVR13N9S8/4)
Video Card(s) Onboard
Storage 1x 160GB (Western Digital WD1600AAJS-75M0A0)
Display(s) 1x 20" 1600x900 (PHILIPS 200VW9FBJ/78)
Case μATX Case (Generic)
Power Supply 300W (Generic)
Software Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
News claims that the .cr domain is not legit ... is it legit and the news a smear attempt, or is it fake?
I think it is not being run by the same people so it is not legit. May be people that are trying to get their traffic in some way or another. :shadedshu:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
This history of this is legitimate and this other thing is not legitimate is getting boring and boring and boring.

:slap:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Meh sounded like the same rhetoric you spew.
You're wrong yet again - it's not the first time you've quoted someone else and attributed it to me so something's not working quite right with you, is it? :shadedshu: I didn't even say anything to you, lol.

If you just apologized for your error you wouldn't continue to look so dumb in public, but that's too difficult for you, isn't it? ;)

On top of that, strawman arguments and ad hominem personal attack troll posts like this one don't make your case either and make you look a fool in front of everyone, again.

All you're good at on TPU is derailing a thread with troll insults and sanctimonious garbage which is nothing to be proud of.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Lots of pot and kettle in this thread... :rolleyes:

1. Stay on topic

2. Don't post links

3. Piracy, the act of and/or the discussion into how to partake in it is not advised.

This is your only warning. Any post that doesn't stay on topic or does not adhere to the forum guidelines will be removed and an infraction will be given. This topic comes up from time to time and it's always the same folks that get the conversation shut down. So, either behave or step aside.
Be good.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I get an awful lot of music from bandcamp and mininova, because the music on there is better, is completely legal, and not piled with DRM or dodgy downloaders (and they offer FLAC quality). They use torrents as one of many means of distribution. And I don't mind paying for that service one bit.

TPB was and still is just a body created to flaunt how stupid the legal system is across europe, in that no matter how much time or resources these people pour into cracking down on pirating, some guy is just going to reupload the 78mb file that contains the whole of TPB back on another website. These people are wasting colossal fortunes to bring it down, instead of just muscling out the attractiveness of TPB by offering better solutions for obtaining music, software, games and movies. People don't pirate when netflix is so cheap, when steam sales are so cheap, and when spotify is free.

Will the TPB go back up? Yes. Will these morons ever stop chasing an unobtainable dream of squashing all piracy? Never. They'd rather waste their time fixing a problem they made, when all they have to do is provide reasonable solutions to bring consumers a vastly superior market experience.

Netflix and other TV streaming services solved half of it, Spotify blatantly solved half of it. There are people out there that will literally pay for nothing, and they will stop at nothing to get that for free. It doesn't matter what anybody does to solve that problem, those people will always exist. Some people only turn to piracy when they've been given no alternative (for example, the BBC won't let me pay them to buy a permanent download of one of their TV series or documentaries, so I only have access to it for 30 days according to their terms). Because I work in public sector, I can't just torrent it and solve the problem, but that's the kind of thing that drives people into doing it.

Totally agree, however the reality is people just want free shit. Even if you said 'this game is only one dollar and you get unlimited access and online play, with no hassle!' they'd still probably want it free, despite that version being limited and locked.
And the worst part is this anti-censorship manifesto bullshit, where these freethinking radicals would like you to believe they have any real concern over abuses of freedom and the 'tyrannical vice of copyrights.'

Just more justification for getting free stuff.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I think for me, and it's just a personal opinion, "sharing" is only that if the owner has given their permission to share, Nabarun gave a good example earlier of a newspaper, see the thing is, if Nabaruns neighbour took his paper and did not have his permission to read it then in my eyes it's plain old, plain old ....... theft. Now I am fairly certain that most of the owners of the software or whatever it is being "shared" have not given their permission so however you want to technically explain it the answer is simple, to then try and justify those actions by saying that the owners are Greedy and merely profit focused and therefore lack integrity (or making that assumption) is kind of ironic as I personally find it equally greedy to expect something for nothing in return.
That's a good question. If I buy a newspaper, and then read it, I paid for it. Then, I give it to my ...... Wife, let's say. Is it theft? what about if she gives it back when she's done? so then, how about the digital format of that? I purchase the digital version of "TechPowerUp NewsNow!". Read it, and then loan the reader to my wife. Or give her the digital pdf. Is that theft?

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
That's a good question. If I buy a newspaper, and then read it, I paid for it. Then, I give it to my ...... Wife, let's say. Is it theft? what about if she gives it back when she's done? so then, how about the digital format of that? I purchase the digital version of "TechPowerUp NewsNow!". Read it, and then loan the reader to my wife. Or give her the digital pdf. Is that theft?
That's another way to think of it, but the problem is that you can give your digital version away, and still keep your version. But that's it... It doesn't get deleted. Nobody is giving their files away, and deleting them off of their machines. One person shares a copy with 50 people then that creates 50 new copies. ;)

EDIT: I'm not saying that's right, but that's another way I've heard it explained.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
Is this thing still keep going on and on?

If people download or not download if share or not share if steal or not steal or if they break the laws shouldn't be our problems, each one of us is responsible for own acts.

Live your own life and let others live.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I see it as a simple idea, people will pay for good content, I will go see good movies at the theater despite it costing aroudn $60 to take my kids and buy a few snacks. I will buy good games for full price, I will buy books from google, I will rent redbox movies if I want, I will buy blu-ray movies when they are worth it.

But, is watching Identity Theft in Blu-Ray worth it? Fuck no.
LOTR, Hell yes.
Would I pay full price for a manual I needed one page out of? Nope.
Would I buy a good book to read, yes, have many in digital form and hard copies.

The issues here are the lack of good content, it started around the same time developers decided they could ship games with huge issues to make money NOW, and patch them later, and to whatever workable degree they wanted. Same happened to music, a few good songs on some CD's and then some rambling bullshit songs, recorded as loud as possible so your china made $40 Walmart boom box could blast it out.

Penny pinchers made the world cheap, and when people realized it was cheap they acted accordingly, and now they want to cry about it. F'em. I have multiple CD's of audio that no longer play as DRM servers have been shutdown, music I paid for. I have some Google Video shows that no longer work. People are finding that Blu-Ray players can't play newer disks.

The market will decide, its what we have been told for years, and now that the market is deciding they are tired of being crapped on and people are choosing to sail the high seas to get their content, a lot of it available over the air for free in the first place, they want to take it back. Too late.

System Name EVGA-FX | Lenny (Lenovo Y480)
Processor AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz 1.416v | i7 3610qm
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 | 8gb DDR3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 Classified @ 1228MHz 1.615v | GT640m LE
Storage Crucial M500 480GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, WD Scorpio Blue 750GB | Samsung 250GB 840
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 1440p | 42" Vizio 3D LCD TV 1080p
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo
Power Supply Seasonic G-650
Software Windows 6.3.9600
I see it as a simple idea, people will pay for good content, I will go see good movies at the theater despite it costing aroudn $60 to take my kids and buy a few snacks. I will buy good games for full price, I will buy books from google, I will rent redbox movies if I want, I will buy blu-ray movies when they are worth it.

But, is watching Identity Theft in Blu-Ray worth it? Fuck no.
LOTR, Hell yes.
Would I pay full price for a manual I needed one page out of? Nope.
Would I buy a good book to read, yes, have many in digital form and hard copies.

OK FINE. I'm a pirate too.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Gaming and Piracy......

Do you remember them good old days where publishers used release demos for their up and coming games? Now all we mainly have (90% of the time) are Alpha's or Beta's that require us to pay to play and while we're at it possibly bug report for the developers.
The industry shouldnt be like this and im a strong advocate against paying just to be able to get into an alpha or beta.... There are quite a few games on steam where developers have charged people to play the alpha then after a year or so completely stopped work on it.... One of these games is RUST. Another game is possibly DAYZ standalone - Bethesda wont pull out of it, but at the same time progress has been rather slow or non-existant even and nobody knows when the game will be released and what sort of state it will be released in when its released, Though with that said Bethesda's games have always been buggy and relied strongly on modding community to get its full potential.

Im all for developers getting paid for their hard work. but given how shitty quite a few triple A titles have been in this past or previous year it doesnt inspire confidence among the community and when people arent confident in the developer then their sales will ultimately suffer and of course piracy will occur.

I use torrents as a way of testing out a game to see if i like it before purchasing it rather than just blindly parting with my money on a promise that may never be fulfilled.

Developers need to get back into the habit of releasing demos, If not then steam should step forward and start offering refunds for games that you didnt like because not all trailer footage represents actual gameplay and that is false advertising.

Its as false as a major triple A release for an Xbone or PS4 being demo'd at a convention on a quad or six core processor with infinite amounts of ram and an uber powerful graphics card.... but wait - its ok. the game is being run in a virtual environment and thus whatever console is being 'emulated' which is complete BS - why such a beast of a machine when you could go for something a little more midrange and match the specs of a console?

In a way, they've done this to themselves all in the name of corporate greed..... Charging more money for less work/game content.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Well said, Freedom. In a word, you've described the creators' hypocrisy.

I've never been a fan of early access, because it was obvious at the outset that a developer could just take your money and run and lo and behold sometimes they do. Nah, show me a finished and polished product that's worth buying and then you'll get my money.

A fine example of a triple A title which ended up being garbage is Aliens: Colonial Marines which has a mere 45% metacritic rating on its Steam store page and got panned by reviewers and gamers everywhere. And yeah, what happened to all those game demos we used to see? Say what you like about EA, but they must be commended on still putting these out, at least on some of the games, such as the FIFA series.

On top of all this, various independent university studies have shown that piracy has very little effect on sales and that the "pirates" are often the most prolific purchasers, or can even be a benefit by growing market penetration. And for anyone who wants to challenge me on this point, no, I don't have the evidence to hand, but googling for it should net some results.

And then these game companies blame the so-called "pirates" when their crap product bombs. Sod off.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
it will be back ...

System Name barely hangin on...
Processor Intel I5 4670K @stock
Motherboard Asus H81m-cs (nothing else available now)
Cooling CM Hyper 212X (in push-pull)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580 4GB Dual
Storage WD Blue 1TB, WD Black 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG241QP 144Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III (Transparent side panel) - illuminated with NZXT HUE RGB
Audio Device(s) FiiO E10K>Boom 3D>ATH M50/Samson SR850/HD599SE
Power Supply Corsair RM 850
Mouse Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Brown)
Software 7-64bit MBR, 10-64bit UEFI (Not Multi-boot), VBox guests...

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Good question, however I think you will find that the copyright protection placed on a newspaper available for public purchase pales into insignificance in comparison to lets say Microsoft Windows professional edition 8.1.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Gaming and Piracy......

Do you remember them good old days where publishers used release demos for their up and coming games? Now all we mainly have (90% of the time) are Alpha's or Beta's that require us to pay to play and while we're at it possibly bug report for the developers.
The industry shouldnt be like this and im a strong advocate against paying just to be able to get into an alpha or beta.... There are quite a few games on steam where developers have charged people to play the alpha then after a year or so completely stopped work on it.... One of these games is RUST. Another game is possibly DAYZ standalone - Bethesda wont pull out of it, but at the same time progress has been rather slow or non-existant even and nobody knows when the game will be released and what sort of state it will be released in when its released, Though with that said Bethesda's games have always been buggy and relied strongly on modding community to get its full potential.

Im all for developers getting paid for their hard work. but given how shitty quite a few triple A titles have been in this past or previous year it doesnt inspire confidence among the community and when people arent confident in the developer then their sales will ultimately suffer and of course piracy will occur.

I use torrents as a way of testing out a game to see if i like it before purchasing it rather than just blindly parting with my money on a promise that may never be fulfilled.

Developers need to get back into the habit of releasing demos, If not then steam should step forward and start offering refunds for games that you didnt like because not all trailer footage represents actual gameplay and that is false advertising.

Its as false as a major triple A release for an Xbone or PS4 being demo'd at a convention on a quad or six core processor with infinite amounts of ram and an uber powerful graphics card.... but wait - its ok. the game is being run in a virtual environment and thus whatever console is being 'emulated' which is complete BS - why such a beast of a machine when you could go for something a little more midrange and match the specs of a console?

In a way, they've done this to themselves all in the name of corporate greed..... Charging more money for less work/game content.

I've got a problem here. While your sentiment is appreciated, there's a problem with your logic.

Let's agree that there are 3 levels of games; good, mediocre, and bad. Now let's also agree that there are are three levels of demo; the same good, mediocre, and bad. This leads to the conclusion there are a total of nine demo/game combinations that are available to exists. Of the nine, three are immediately counter-productive. Bad demos lead to no positive spin. The mediocre demos also either lead to no influence on sales, or a negative one. Looking at the remaining three options, we've got a mixed bag. A good game and good demo lead to people buying the product. A mediocre game, with a good demo, hurts future sales. Finally, a good demo for a crap game leads to a huge public backlash. Think Aliens: Colonial Marines if you need proof positive of that.

So, put yourself in the developer's shoes. 11% of the time, based upon these rather loosely defined parameters, you've got an up-side. 89% of the time you either hurt sales, damage reputation, or spend resources on creating a demo without getting purchasing payback. What incentive do developers have to put out demos?

Getting off my soap-box, there are exactly two reasons to pirate and used cracked copies of games. Reason 1 is that you've purchased the game, but it doesn't work properly. Reaching an example of this is not difficult, as the shut-down of GFWL has broken plenty of games. Not everybody is Warner Brothers (thanks to them for keeping Batman alive btw). Reason 2 is preservation. If you cannot possibly obtain a legal copy of a game then pirate away. So many games are disappearing due to a lack of interest, and that's a travesty. Sometimes booting up Jazz Jackrabbit is cathartic, and I'd hope to share that experience with other people in a decade. There's currently no way to do this without resorting to "piracy."

While using a pirate copy for a demo sounds reasonable, it seems rather backwards. After 6 months most games are in the $15-30 range. After a year, they can be had with DLC for that much. Waiting 18 months usually yields game of the year variants at the $10 mark. At that point, you're basically getting a game for the price of a movie. Two hours of entertainment, and you've got a better investment than most movies. If you can't stand a game after that, you've got no real reason to moan. If the games industry doesn't want people doing this (they do want you to spend $60 per game), they release demos. Ideally, developers actually use peer-to-peer sharing to distribute their demos freely. I'd be happy to pay $60 for Skyrim from a smaller developer, assuming I could play it first. Of course, that tidal shift in understanding that games don't need to sell in the first two weeks (thanks to the death of the retail requirements) has escaped developers.

Piracy is not a solution, and is not evil. What it is is an outcry for something to service a new market, and it isn't being heeded. Traditional ideas are not bending to new markets, so piracy prevails. If people truly wanted to minimize piracy, because stopping it 100% will never happen, then they'd change the way they service the market. Valve understood this with Steam, but EA and others have not. Gog is tapping the same beautiful understanding of a new market, and providing DRM free games without losing their hats. When the rest of the market evolves we'll see this debate be less obtrusive, but in times of upheaval older systems make their inadequacies known. The only difference is that evolution is happening faster now than ever before. Hopefully one day law and services will match capabilities, but it hasn't ever really happened in my lifetime.

System Name Pukeko
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 CL15
Video Card(s) Asus RX 5600 XT TUF Gaming X3 OC
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 2x ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q
Case NZXT, H510i, Matte Black/Red, Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) TUF Gaming H3
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 550W Gold
Mouse Touchpad + Logitech MX518
Keyboard Cooler Master, CK 350, Outemu Red
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 7,42,69 and 666
Piracy is not a solution, and is not evil. What it is is an outcry for something to service a new market, and it isn't being heeded. Traditional ideas are not bending to new markets, so piracy prevails. If people truly wanted to minimize piracy, because stopping it 100% will never happen, then they'd change the way they service the market. Valve understood this with Steam, but EA and others have not. Gog is tapping the same beautiful understanding of a new market, and providing DRM free games without losing their hats. When the rest of the market evolves we'll see this debate be less obtrusive, but in times of upheaval older systems make their inadequacies known. The only difference is that evolution is happening faster now than ever before. Hopefully one day law and services will match capabilities, but it hasn't ever really happened in my lifetime.

Steam is the best thing that has happened, it's still not perfect, but a lot better than, say, Origin. I'm somewhat a pirate, mostly because there is content I just can't legitimately get or the pricing is through the roof: a game that costs 60 EUR in Germany can't cost 60 EUR in the Baltics for example. If the pricing would be somewhat justified to fit in with the average income I would buy a ton more games than now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

Never really liked the pirate bay, private trackers usually are better :)

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
If the pricing would be somewhat justified to fit in with the average income I would buy a ton more games than now.
Yes. I agree with this. If the average income in my country is let's say 350 euros and the average income in a richer country is 750 euros then how can they expect me to pay 60 euro's for a game.

I really don't care anymore but this is my logic. I will pirate a game if I really want it and play it until it comes down in price that I can actually afford.
Pirating is wrong and if you do it, you break the law. End of F#$KING STORY
It depends on the country you live in. :D
That is true. In some country's if you download a torrent and set your upload speed to the lowest speed it is legal to download a torrent.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
<snip>A good game and good demo lead to people buying the product. A mediocre game, with a good demo, hurts future sales. Finally, a good demo for a crap game leads to a huge public backlash. Think Aliens: Colonial Marines if you need proof positive of that.

1. A good game + good demo = win win situation, it also means the developers put more effort into making game because the demo has to leave a good impression with the to-be consumers/players.

2. A mediocre game + good demo, hurts future sales = not necessarily you're forgetting that there are so many variables when it comes to making a game. Maybe the the guy who came up with the original concept for the game decided to leave halfway through development and the guy they got to replace him didnt have the same vision for the game as the previous guy? or maybe a lot of the original team of developers left the studio or got sacked part-way through and the people they hired to finish the game off were either totally useless or had their own way of coding the game which led to glitches and bugs with the finished title.

Providing the game came for a reputable developer, i wouldnt be so quick to judge their releases.

Long story short - Im subscribed to TotalBiscuit on youtube and he reviews quite a lot of pc ports, More often than not there are studios out there whose sole purpose in life is to port games over to PC - they might make the odd small to medium sized game here and there but their bread and butter is porting.....
Now you will get studios that do a horrendous job porting games over then you will get studios that do a decent job.

Some of the worst ports out there is the studio that does all the Arc System Works stuff, so think blazblue or guilty gear. recently the blazblue series has appeared on steam and i think it was the second game (that TB reviewed) that was quite bad - but then again this is coming from a studio thats known for doing half arsed ports.

Compare that to Platinum games who did the port for Metal Gear Rising and they did a complete stellar job of it and it was their FIRST TIME porting a game over to PC. They also ported 'The Legend Of Korra' over to PC - from what i gather they did an OK job of it, but the mixed reviews it received were more to do with the game, gameplay and the story itself rather then how it played as a port, but youre obviously limited with what you can do when the game is more or less like a 'cartoonier' version of plants vs zombies or DBZ Shin Budokai on the PSP.

Another example is DICE - They are capable of making GREAT games, I remember playing the shit out of the BF2 demo for 2 or 3 weeks before I went out there and bought the actual game, I also played the BF1942 demo with friends on a LAN and it was a hilarious amount of fun. Its only BF4 which seemed to be complete and utterly broken from the start and still is in a way when you consider ongoing problems with netcode & other bugs etc etc. BF3 had the issue with bullets that curved around corners but that was fixed fairly quickly, People rage about how their never gonna buy another EA, DICE or BF game but how much of the problem was a result of EA pushing DICE to release BF4 before it was honestly truly ready for release? EA wanted to beat CoD to the shelves.

3. a good demo for a crap game leads to a huge public backlash = see above, imo a crap game is just the same as a mediocre game. The way i see it is 'Great game' 'OK game' & 'utter bollocks game' - 'OK game' being the middle ground - neither good or bad and 'utter bollocks' being horrendously bad.

a public backlash is dependant on how much the media, publisher & to a lesser extent the general public/community hype the game. A butt load of fingers are pointing at IGN - because thats what IGN do apart from taking bribes.

I never played Colonial Marines but from what i gather it was bad because you had different developers working on it - Timegate studios were the original people who started working on it, they went bankrupt so gearbox software started working on it again, then sega outsourced the work to two or more different studios yadayadayada and too many cooks spoil the broth.

Sega also had a class lawsuit filed against them claiming that Gearbox and Sega falsely advertised Aliens: Colonial Marines by showing demos at trade shows like PAX and E3 that didn't end up being accurate representations of the final product.

---

So you see, Colonial Marines had a lot of stuff wrong with it which inevitably had a serious detrimental effect on the end product.... Throw in the argument that media as well as Gearbox/Sega were getting people hyped for the game and theres your backlash.

Its no different then a holy prophet (or 'a' messiah or certain messiah) promising to lead his flock (his people~) to the promised lands but then after spending more than 100 years wandering about in the wilderness when most of the original generation have died on the journey from natural causes or sickness, he turns around and says that it was all a lie.

How many times has a friend or member of family promised you something then didnt deliver???

I too would be furious if i was lead around the garden path so to speak - so would anyone one else for that matter.

So my logic isnt as flawed as you think.

Anyway, it took a while to type all this out while i did my research and i do apologise if its a wall of text.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Even good games with a terrible demo will earn reputation quickly.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Even good games with a terrible demo will earn reputation quickly.

thats because there are people who will still buy the game even if the demo is bad. Its all word of mouth really, but a demo should be a close representation of the final product to come. Developers can give you free access to an alpha to demo a game but an alpha is a real loose representation of whats POSSIBLY to come. they could strip out, chop and change anything and everything they want to.

I honestly dont remember playing a bad demo, but at the same time I arrived to the party a bit late - I didnt have broadband or a PC powerful enough to run games properly till around 2000 or 2001 so i literally missed the massive pc gaming boom that started in the late 90s.

without demos, I think people like Total Biscuit are a much needed voice in the gaming industry, none of the IGN rubbish - First and foremost, IGN are supposed to be a gaming reviews site but they are being paid off to hype games.

he's definitely worth the sub if you like to hear about the latest releases & all the news about whats going on in the gaming industry - theres either always a lot of drama like steam's recent take down of a game called HATRED from greenlight and all sorts of interesting news & info.

1. A good game + good demo = win win situation, it also means the developers put more effort into making game because the demo has to leave a good impression with the to-be consumers/players.

2. A mediocre game + good demo, hurts future sales = not necessarily you're forgetting that there are so many variables when it comes to making a game. Maybe the the guy who came up with the original concept for the game decided to leave halfway through development and the guy they got to replace him didnt have the same vision for the game as the previous guy? or maybe a lot of the original team of developers left the studio or got sacked part-way through and the people they hired to finish the game off were either totally useless or had their own way of coding the game which led to glitches and bugs with the finished title.

Providing the game came for a reputable developer, i wouldnt be so quick to judge their releases.

Long story short - Im subscribed to TotalBiscuit on youtube and he reviews quite a lot of pc ports, More often than not there are studios out there whose sole purpose in life is to port games over to PC - they might make the odd small to medium sized game here and there but their bread and butter is porting.....
Now you will get studios that do a horrendous job porting games over then you will get studios that do a decent job.

Some of the worst ports out there is the studio that does all the Arc System Works stuff, so think blazblue or guilty gear. recently the blazblue series has appeared on steam and i think it was the second game (that TB reviewed) that was quite bad - but then again this is coming from a studio thats known for doing half arsed ports.

Compare that to Platinum games who did the port for Metal Gear Rising and they did a complete stellar job of it and it was their FIRST TIME porting a game over to PC. They also ported 'The Legend Of Korra' over to PC - from what i gather they did an OK job of it, but the mixed reviews it received were more to do with the game, gameplay and the story itself rather then how it played as a port, but youre obviously limited with what you can do when the game is more or less like a 'cartoonier' version of plants vs zombies or DBZ Shin Budokai on the PSP.

Another example is DICE - They are capable of making GREAT games, I remember playing the shit out of the BF2 demo for 2 or 3 weeks before I went out there and bought the actual game, I also played the BF1942 demo with friends on a LAN and it was a hilarious amount of fun. Its only BF4 which seemed to be complete and utterly broken from the start and still is in a way when you consider ongoing problems with netcode & other bugs etc etc. BF3 had the issue with bullets that curved around corners but that was fixed fairly quickly, People rage about how their never gonna buy another EA, DICE or BF game but how much of the problem was a result of EA pushing DICE to release BF4 before it was honestly truly ready for release? EA wanted to beat CoD to the shelves.

3. a good demo for a crap game leads to a huge public backlash = see above, imo a crap game is just the same as a mediocre game. The way i see it is 'Great game' 'OK game' & 'utter bollocks game' - 'OK game' being the middle ground - neither good or bad and 'utter bollocks' being horrendously bad.

a public backlash is dependant on how much the media, publisher & to a lesser extent the general public/community hype the game. A butt load of fingers are pointing at IGN - because thats what IGN do apart from taking bribes.

I never played Colonial Marines but from what i gather it was bad because you had different developers working on it - Timegate studios were the original people who started working on it, they went bankrupt so gearbox software started working on it again, then sega outsourced the work to two or more different studios yadayadayada and too many cooks spoil the broth.

Sega also had a class lawsuit filed against them claiming that Gearbox and Sega falsely advertised Aliens: Colonial Marines by showing demos at trade shows like PAX and E3 that didn't end up being accurate representations of the final product.

---

So you see, Colonial Marines had a lot of stuff wrong with it which inevitably had a serious detrimental effect on the end product.... Throw in the argument that media as well as Gearbox/Sega were getting people hyped for the game and theres your backlash.

Its no different then a holy prophet (or 'a' messiah or certain messiah) promising to lead his flock (his people~) to the promised lands but then after spending more than 100 years wandering about in the wilderness when most of the original generation have died on the journey from natural causes or sickness, he turns around and says that it was all a lie.

How many times has a friend or member of family promised you something then didnt deliver???

I too would be furious if i was lead around the garden path so to speak - so would anyone one else for that matter.

So my logic isnt as flawed as you think.

Anyway, it took a while to type all this out while i did my research and i do apologise if its a wall of text.

Apologies not necessary, but you're looking at a couple of examples and extrapolating an industrial trend from them. Replace Video Games with toothpaste, cereal, or anything else and it'll hold true. Furthermore, stay on topic. I agree with you about mixed feeling on ports, but that is another topic. This was about a company releasing a demo of their game prior to releasing the full thing. I, in this instance, don't care about ports. Ports don't get demos.

Continuing on, you need to focus on demos. No hype, no background in the industry, no behind closed doors dealings. I don't care if 50 companies worked on it, all I see is the finished game and its demo. If Aliens had played like the demo at E3, I'd have bought it. That demo was amazing, and the game was mediocre to crap. As a reasonable individual, I am looking at all Gearbox/Sega/Timegate products significantly longer now, as their reputation for quality has been damaged. If you don't agree with me there, I'd ask you how you feel about Duke Nukem. What about Rare products? Bad games with hype make the bad parts of them even worse. Nobody remembers a flop when nothing is expected of it, but everyone remembers things like Superman 64.

I'll acquiesce that there is a sweet-spot. In this sweet spot a truly bad game can become a cult classic, because it is bad in just the right way. I cannot think of a single game like this with a demo though.

That was a huge diversion, but the real truth of the matter is everyone spending time on a demo is one person who is "wasting" the company's money. An executive uses the reasoning I presented above, and looks at market data. Very little potential positives, and a minimal measurable positive impact on sales, means there is no financial reason to release a demo.

If you want companies to release demos you need to remove retail sales. If your game is released on a digital store, and will stay at the same price for 8 months, you need a demo. No publisher can afford an 8 month advertisement campaign. As yet, big publishers haven't taken advantage of this. They focus on the huge sales push, two weeks of sales at full price, then write games off to minor DLC expenses. Changing that attitude might mean that a 30 minute demo would make sense as a very cheap advertising tool. Best of luck actually getting this change to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.