• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Alien: Isolation

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
There is a complete version of the survival guide on my blog in my signature.

Yeah, I didn't want to link that, I figured you had already done it once! :)

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Ugh what is up with the stun baton? It's like I can only do it if someone has their back to me and then, even if I do it quick, I can't do it twice in a row to two different people.
It leaves me having to bludgeon them with the maintenance tool, and I don't to do that, just want to incapacitate them temporarily.

Also, I can't figure out how to bang the maintenance tool on the walls to create a distraction.

GAH, how do the humans shoot you in pitch black darkness....maybe I should have played it on medium.

Last edited:
System Name Joel's Rig
Processor Intel i7-6700K (4 Cores, 4GHz)
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5
Cooling 3x 140mm Case Fans, Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury (DDR4, 2x 8GB, 2133MHz) 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon R9 290X (8GB VRAM)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 3TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung U28E590D (28-Inch, 4K, 60Hz)
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD (Integrated)
Power Supply Corsair RM750i (750W)
Mouse Roccat Tyon
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
GAH, how do the humans shoot you in pitch black darkness....maybe I should have played it on medium.
Stick to the hardest difficulty for the achievement! Just be as resourceful as possible and try as many methods/combinations as possible for each scenario; one scenario at a time =)
To do with the stun baton, are you sure you've got more than one charge for it? And you say you can only use it if you're behind someone: what happens if you're in front?

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Stick to the hardest difficulty for the achievement! Just be as resourceful as possible and try as many methods/combinations as possible for each scenario; one scenario at a time =)
To do with the stun baton, are you sure you've got more than one charge for it? And you say you can only use it if you're behind someone: what happens if you're in front?

I wasn't worried about any achievement. Not sure why I would bother?

I have noticed the game seems a bit more fluid in terms of mechanics vs the alien while on medium. I can actually sometimes sit and watch it, without it finding me in a second. Then again I think the seventh and eighth mission are simply designed better and the alien script isn't so intrusive as missions 4 and 5 - which also had less save stations as well - so could be placebo.
Yes, the stun baton ..didn't know it needed multiple charges. Each time I used it on a single adversary, it works, as long as they are facing away from me and not aware I am nearby. I had an android who said he knew I was there, with his back turned towards me. I went to stun him and it went over his right shoulder, WHIFF! Then he turned around and KAPOW!.

Any ways, love the game, have to stop playing now my butt hurts from all the puckering.

EDIT: Wish they had a 'no encounter' mode available for those that finish it on hard. You can go through the game again, without any interference from the androids or alien, but still have to complete all the objectives and stay alive versus the humans.

There's so much detail and thought put into the game environment and atmosphere, where a lot of that's missed because you're trying to get to and from places as quick as possible.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
What works best with the stun baton is one stun then a few melee hits right after. You can do frontal stuns too if you time it right. As mentioned though it can be hard to aim.

System Name Joel's Rig
Mouse Roccat Tyon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wish they had a 'no encounter' mode available for those that finish it on hard. You can go through the game again, without any interference from the androids or alien, but still have to complete all the objectives and stay alive versus the humans.

There's so much detail and thought put into the game environment and atmosphere, where a lot of that's missed because you're trying to get to and from places as quick as possible.
Yes! I totally agree with that idea, I was continually stopping and looking around at all the beautifully detailed scenery :)

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
I don't want to do that too often either not to upset the TPU admins like i'm spamming my page all over the place...
Lol struggling with Apollo androids :/
I need to find the server but there's usually two of them O.O

Just try out a tonne of different diversions/distractions and be patient =P

na its cool I passed them just one click on a server then I had to go into the vent's :D

Last edited:
System Name Joel's Rig
Mouse Roccat Tyon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lol struggling with Apollo androids :/
I need to find the server but there's usually two of them O.O
Just try out a tonne of different diversions/distractions and be patient =P

When in doubt, you can use explosive trap. When i was leaving the reactor, i ran past the droids to pack them together and then i just nuked them with explosives when they were together. I just didn't have patience to slowly avoid those cold bastards.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Androids are scarier than the alien, which is a let down. Eventually after enough familiarity with the alien and also getting the flamethrower, you find yourself a lot more confident. Which is realistic, I suppose to some extent. ....I suspect most of us would still be shitting ourselves, weapon or no weapon.

System Name Joel's Rig
Mouse Roccat Tyon
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
AI has been the first game in a while to really grip me and pull me back in, wanting to see what was next. The visual presentation, attention to detail, the ambiance and audio create this atmosphere that is a master piece. And the more you come to appreciate this, the more you realize how amazing the original Alien was in regards to the same aspects.

As mentioned before, I could be content simply exploring the massive ship and all it's nooks and crannies.

The controls were great, the PoV movement system is by far the best I've ever used and would love to see that in more titles.

In regards to the story, I can be honest when I say that there were some obvious moments, like watching modern TV where we can predict the script before it happens. And of course the story had to have that same arc of up and down, highs and lows where you think you're free and then you get blindsided by disaster that sets you on a detour. Unlike the character though, the user/player knows it's inevitable, or the story would be either too short or too redundant.

And coupled with those inevitable scenarios, there were also various frustrating moments of either developer oversight or mechanical failure. Yet at the same time, some brilliant sequences that were not only engaging, yet also breath taking and frightening. Unlike paranormal type stories that use random shock factor, there's an overbearing sense of dread and terror. I also like how many of the stages or portions of a mission/area, were broken down and the objectives stringed together created a nice sense of mini-missions, where you really felt satisfied with having completed them and progressed. When's the last time you felt that much relief from reaching a save point? <---I think that could have been the tag line that sums up AI.

My biggest criticism though is the inclusion of an excessive amount of androids. At times they felt like nothing more than an afterthought obstacle, stuck in place to add an element of difficulty.
And to some extent so do the humans - why every one is so hostile seemed less like a consequence of panic and survival, and more like a way to avoid having to write more characters that you interact with.

Additionally I question the amount of obvious auto objective updates and way points on maps - maps which for the most part, are given to you despite never actually obtaining structural schematics.

The difficulty modes are seemingly divded over two aspects :

1.Encountering hostiles
2.Everything else in the game

Hostile difficulty works really well at times and in other moments it fails.
Everything else in the game seems to be easy mode no matter what difficulty level - such as plenty of item pickups, save points, map updates, way points etc.

The ending.. big let down for me. Generally it feels rushed and ends ambiguously. Here are some finer issues :

• When you try to put on the space suit and the alien decides to cocoon you rather than kill you. Somehow you manage to break free from the cocoon with a single arm, yet no one else in the history of the alien franchise has ever escaped this fate.
  • It's obvious you woke up fairly quickly(say less than an hour? you must do, otherwise it would only be logical for Verlaine would have said something to the effect of 'you've been gone for hours!') And equally as quickly, you scamper through three minutes of forced shock value moments on your way to God knows where, being that you the player have no idea what your position is. Then conveniently you fall right back to the area where you were taken from.
  • Your space walk is stalked by several aliens and then in the last moment, there's at least three of them patiently while you freak out and slam the button in a very Call of Duty-esque fashion.
  • During the big explosion, the entire station is decimated in a matter of ten seconds and then proceeds to fall to the planet's surface in another ten seconds. A catastrophic event over in half a minute...
  • Didn't not understand how Ripley gets onto the Torrens if the Torrens was out of the path of harm's way
  • Why does hitting the button in the ship, put her into space, I thought she was stepping back wards into an escape pod, not a one sided door. Wouldn't a door to the exterior be pressure locked and bi directional?
  • I also have to assume that the light shining on her helmet, was from a Weiland Yutani ship that was there to collect the specimens, but instead all they found was her. That smacks very similar to the ending of Alien 3 where in the only thing they recover from Fiorina 161, was the last living prisoner.
It smells too much of a cliff hangar to induce a sequel - but I for one would not want a sequel as I don't believe it can be done - story wise, there isn't any thing plausible to go with.

Rather than a sequel, they would have been better served to offer a thirty minute cinematic that shows her eject the alien, and head home - dealing with bureaucracy and politics with the company - like her mother will in forty-five years' time. And more so, trying to bridge a canon/lore gap for those forty-five years. Nowhere in Aliens does Ellen get the impression her daughter did any thing except for live a normal life. Putting in some easter egg that ties the two stories together would have been nice - I suspect their might be some licensing/ownership issues there with Fox and other parties.

When I first learned about the game, I really bought into the idea that it was ISOLATION - to be just you and the Alien, like in Ellen Ripley's last moments. And part of me still thinks that would have been the way to go. If they'd removed the android/human elements from the story, and focused more on discovery/puzzle work alongside the small bits of action, it would have presented us a with a much more authentic lonesome experience.

Never the less, it certainly tops any thing I can remember experiencing in a long time. It's one of those games that's so good you feel you should play it again, yet on the other hand your first play through is a unique experience that really can only be told once. For better or worse, despite whatever mistakes you made, it was YOUR experience and only you will remember it as such.
Overall I'd give it a 9 and feel especially in today's market place, this is a solid investment and money well spent.

I absolutely look forward to something that can top this and hope other developers use this as a benchmark.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Androids could be there but not to such extent as they were imo. The androids part was really dragging long...
After I finish the Trauma DLC, I'm going to shelf it for a few months then give Nightmare a go. I'm sure I'll be back complaining about androids again.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
A bit off topic, but I saw no suitable place to make a thread about this.

Have you guys heard Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn have been signed on to do a 5th Alien movie, with District 9 director Neill Blomkamp?

It will be produced by Ridley Scott. Apparently Blomkamp got a lot of ideas for it while working with Sigourney on his latest film Chappie. Part of his inspiration was in admiring Alien Isolation though.

"Last month, on Twitter, he praised Creative Assembly's atmospheric, authentic Alien Isolation game as having "disgustingly awesome" production design."

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/8065547/neill-blomkamp-alien-movie

The concept art for this film looks pretty cool. http://www.nerdist.com/2015/01/neill-blomkamps-alien-concept-art-has-stolen-our-hearts/

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Joel's Rig
Mouse Roccat Tyon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Have you guys heard Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn have been signed on to do a 5th Alien movie, with District 9 director Neill Blomkamp?
Nice! Sounds like it could be a good 'un.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
"Last month, on Twitter, he praised Creative Assembly's atmospheric, authentic Alien Isolation game as having "disgustingly awesome" production design."

The concept art for this film looks pretty cool. http://www.nerdist.com/2015/01/neill-blomkamps-alien-concept-art-has-stolen-our-hearts/

Thanks for this info! That's high praise for CA! I guess they should be proud of the work they put into the authentic setting. I'm glad to see it may result in another Alien movie!

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
A bit off topic, but I saw no suitable place to make a thread about this.

Could move post to general movie forum, I am certain there's Alien fans there.

It will be produced by Ridley Scott. Apparently Blomkamp got a lot of ideas for it while working with Sigourney on his latest film Chappie. Part of his inspiration was in admiring Alien Isolation though.

I didn't see any thing in that article about Sigourney or Michael being involved directly in another Alien film? The last time she spoke on the matter officially(? cite me) was eight/nine months ago. The key quote I took from her interview was this “I feel a longing from fans for the story to be finished. I could imagine a situation where we finish telling the story.”
I find that particular potent as the fourth film re-opened the already closed series/story and left people without any closure.

Pretty old stuff now, it was posted last year.

The interesting thing is his blog/tweet about taking on the 'official' project. My concern is that he's going to ultimately reboot the series - or make some abomination that tries so hard to stay in canon that it goes away from canon. I get that his concept pictures have Hicks with his acid burned face, as a hint of continuity from Aliens, but it's just concept art.

Personally they should leave Alien franchise alone and focus on Prometheus. That can run parallel, telling it's own stories while giving us a little of the 'Alien' fix that we crave without also ruining the Alien legacy.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Could move post to general movie forum, I am certain there's Alien fans there.

I didn't see any thing in that article about Sigourney or Michael being involved directly in another Alien film?

When you look at the fact that the Verge, a fairly credible tech related site, has stated the movie is going to happen, whilst showing concept art of Weaver and Biehn, and Blomkamp having used their likenesses in the art, it's pretty likely both have consented. Plus Ridley Scott, whom easily has enough money to fund it, has agreed to produce it.

The last bit that made me sure of it was Weaver was seen on Fallon a few nights ago talking about it and she was so excited it was pretty much the highlight of her segment.

And btw, there's hardly any interest in movie talk here. The only board I saw pertaining to it was Movies and Television Series in General Nonsense, and it's practically void of current movie talk.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
Finished this game last week. Looking through the forum i found this thread,and must say:
the game is good until you craft the powerful weapons. You can keep the alien at bay easily,and you no longer feel the need to keep hiding.You don't feel that anxiety anymore, making the game boring.
I think it toked me about 25 hours to finish it (experts say you can finish it in 15). The first 5-8 are pretty good. After that you feel strong,running around doing stuff like nothing can harm you,and that kinda ruins the game.
I will give it a 6,5 out of 10

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
@Frag Maniac if so about the movie, I'm stoked! I haven't heard or seen anything yet, but since you mentioned it, imdb has something listed under Blomkamp's filmography as "untitled Neil Blomkamp/alien project 2017."

I am a fan of Blomkamp and aliens, so it could be very awesome. I sure hope so!

System Name Lenovo 17IMH05H
Processor Core i7 10750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1660 Ti
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Benchmark Scores i've got a shitload of them in 15 years of TPU membership
I've been here since 2009, so don't feel like creating a new thread for this game, but rather revive the ''OFFICIAL" thread. This game is now 10 years old and i have been avoiding it for that exact 10 years... I did play the two add-ons "Crew Expendable" and "Last Survivor" back in 2016, but never i had the guts to play a game where i was told you could only save in some kind of 1979 style phone booths with the possibility of being killed during that save - that really freaked me out! Anybody else avoided the game for the same reason?
Nobody told me that there are actual auto-saves between missions and after key mission progress points.

Anyway, i have to say this game holds up pretty well after a decade. I acknowledge that it is actually one of the best survival horror games of all time, though i do not think it is the best in that category due to it's short comings. Despite that statement i somehow managed to spend a whooping 51 hours during my first playthrough on normal... Yes - 51 hours! I literally did all that tedious backtracking to sniff and snatch all those goodies behind locked doors in every level i had left after getting every torch upgrade and every hacking device upgrade, and can confirm that it was not worth it! For me this loathsome backtracking was the number one problem with this game - i strongly think that a single torch type and a single hacking device type without any BS level 2 & level 3 ''upgrades'' should have been implemented to open every door that was meant to be opened with these tools in the first place. Not even in Resident Evil games i had so much backtracking. Sure, all those game praising things remain - authentic 1979 Alien 1979 movie level design and atmosphere, amazing graphics, unpredictable Alien AI. I know i will be replaying this game in the future on the hardest difficulty setting, since normal like in almost every game is just too easy, but at the same time i am feeling kinda distraught from replaying, since i've spent so much time in it, and don't want to waste dozens of hours for level 3 item upgrades.

Is there a mod that makes the torch and hacking device both level 3 at the get go?

I realize the Alien had to be invincible in order for this game to be true survival horror, but come on - it just so funny that the Alien bounces of shotgun shells like some robot, it just felt stupid (Vasquez in Aliens literally shot the alien with a 9 mm pistol). I wished that the narrative suggested shotgun having rubber bullets and the revolver being a carbon dioxide type. I am not even sure had it been better not to have projectile type weapons at all in this game, would make more logic. They could have made the alien suffer like that creature from Amnesia Bunker. At least in Amnesia Bunker the monster feels pain from the pistol shot and can actually drop down from the damage first, and then run away to ''recover''...
Oy yes, IGN and Gamespot giving the game a 6/10 is just a travesty. I am definitely on the 8/10 side like most of the others. I just realized that it is actually the Alien Isolation game review that made IGN the most hated game reviewer ever. I mean, IGN was dog shit way before Alien, sure, i am just glad since that time so many great private reviewers appeared on the deck who do a heck of a lot better job than those ''official'' game reviewers-losers.

Last edited: