• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crunchers Helping Crunchers

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Excellent catch. I couldn't really tell from the side view but you're absolutely right. The newegg specs were wrong.

OK, I'm going to order 2 of these bad boys. @Norton - Maybe you can save the review sample for a giveaway?

Building on these ideas, I give you this:

The black are the heatsinks and the red are the fans (assuming one fan per heatsink). Motherboard is at the bottom. Reverse the fan on one of them, and insert the baffle between them to deflect the air down & away from the first one. That should let the second one pull in cooler air from above.
Right now there is only about 5-6mm between the front of one cooler and the back of the other. If I had more space, I probably wouldn't need a baffle. With the L32's I should have plenty of space. I'll be saving 24mm. With that much space the external clip-on fan will also be able to help out a lot more. Thank you for taking the time to work that up though. It's appreciated. :)

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
@t_ski - OK, forget what I said before. Being brain damaged isn't for sissies [sigh].

If I flipped the down stream f/hs around, that would give me an additional 30mm or so between the rads. But with the L32's, I'll have and additional 50 some mm - I think, if I did the calculations correctly. The point is that with the new rads and your configuration, there shouldn't be any need for a baffle. But again, thank you.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
@Heaven7

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

In the game of awesomeness.............i feel trumped.

:toast: PROST/ IECHYD DA

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
@twilyth , too bad you can't get the Reeven Ouranos.
Edit:
X10DAL-i-o
Holy smokes! They got 2 2011V3 sockets into an ATX motherboard?!?!?!? No wonder you're having problems getting things to fit.

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll get these cooling issues sorted out in time by being patient and creative @twilyth , in the meantime I'm just amazed at the scores (again) your new setup produces. Tight space on the MB for sure - but just incredible performance. Wow! :cool:

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I would consider that if I could get a sealed all-in-one type unit that could handle 2 cpu's on the loop. But if I build one myself, I assume there's a certain amount of maintenance involved.
I've heard of multi-socket AIO solutions, but they're certainly rare. Custom would certainly be the way to go here, but you're right about the maintenance. Honestly, I'd say just go for two separate AIOs. Nab a nice thick single 120/140mm and mount them wherever you have room, assuming you don't have a spot for two 2x120/140mm AIOs.

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
@twilyth , too bad you can't get the Reeven Ouranos.
Edit:

Holy smokes! They got 2 2011V3 sockets into an ATX motherboard?!?!?!? No wonder you're having problems getting things to fit.
Yeah. Normally I would have gotten an eatx board since i have it mounted on a nice test bench. But I thought I might want to put it in a case and EATX cases are huge. They're also not nearly as common as atx.
I'm sure you'll get these cooling issues sorted out in time by being patient and creative @twilyth , in the meantime I'm just amazed at the scores (again) your new setup produces. Tight space on the MB for sure - but just incredible performance. Wow! :cool:
I've been surprised too. I tried to estimate ppd by extrapolating from the Xeon v1 that I have and it seemed that conservatively, it should produce about 30% more ppd per core per ghz. But it looks like that number is going to be on the low side. We should have a better idea in a couple of days.

I've heard of multi-socket AIO solutions, but they're certainly rare. Custom would certainly be the way to go here, but you're right about the maintenance. Honestly, I'd say just go for two separate AIOs. Nab a nice thick single 120/140mm and mount them wherever you have room, assuming you don't have a spot for two 2x120/140mm AIOs.
Thanks. I just don't trust myself to do maintenance. 2 AIO's probably would have worked well with the test bench - I could have suspended the rads off the first tier. Trying to put it in an atx case though probably would have posed some difficulties. I'm happy with temps in the mid-50's - very happy actually, assuming I can get that low. The L32's should come early next week. Hopefully I can get motivated to try them out right away since I'm very curious about these now.

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
This should probably go in the team thread but since most of the other posts relating to the new rig are here .. .

It looks like I lost 2/3 of a day's work since there was an update and windows didn't automatically log in. Just fixed and tested that so should be ok in the future. what a bummer.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
But I thought I might want to put it in a case and EATX cases are huge. They're also not nearly as common as atx.
I have my Supermicro E-ATX Motherboard in an Haf 922 that it's not an E-ATX case.
1437219174468.jpg

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
That's a very nice setup - and look at all of that space between the sockets. Yeah, probably should have gone with the eatx board instead.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
That's a very nice setup - and look at all of that space between the sockets. Yeah, probably should have gone with the eatx board instead.
For my second 2P Setup I have bought a Fractal design Core 3500 that should support Micro-ATX/ATX/E-ATX but unfortunately I wasn't that lucky because when i have tried to mount the second Supermicro E-ATX Motherboard it didn't fit and I have to removed some parts and break the case:
downloadfile-10.jpeg

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
As long as it doesn't affect the structural integrity, it doesn't really matter. If it's a dedicated cruncher, all you need is one drive anyway. But you might want to consider getting a protective dock/collar for the drive. Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OAGU9I/?tag=tec06d-20

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
As long as it doesn't affect the structural integrity, it doesn't really matter. If it's a dedicated cruncher, all you need is one drive anyway. But you might want to consider getting a protective dock/collar for the drive. Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OAGU9I/?tag=tec06d-20

That would be helpful if I have HDD 3.5 but I have 2.5, btw I have gotten this here:
Screenshot_2015-07-18-15-41-35.png

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Considering using a Rosewill Rise for a future crunching case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147226

It's basically a HAF 932 w/o the front drive bays and with ample room for water cooling if needed.

Should fit just about any board.... even SR2's and my 4P (with a little creative planning ;))

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Can't seem to get to the newegg site at the moment. Do cases that aren't rated for eatx and hptx have holes in the m/b plate for those boards? Having space is one thing but if you don't have holes for the standoffs, you get too much board flex when pulling or inserting cables, ram, etc. I have this problem with the Rosewill case I use for the eatx dual octo board. Yes, it technically handles an eatx but there aren't enough standoffs in the right places (especially edges) to avoid substantial board flex when doing certain things.

Can't seem to get to the newegg site at the moment. Do cases that aren't rated for eatx and hptx have holes in the m/b plate for those boards? Having space is one thing but if you don't have holes for the standoffs, you get too much board flex when pulling or inserting cables, ram, etc. I have this problem with the Rosewill case I use for the eatx dual octo board. Yes, it technically handles an eatx but there aren't enough standoffs in the right places (especially edges) to avoid substantial board flex when doing certain things.
It depends... the obvious solution would be to get the proper case for your board. I managed to fit an SSI-EEB board into the ATX case of my main system after taking a close look at the MB tray dimensions at the manufacturer's site. It fits just barely and regarding standoffs - well, you could forget about some of them if you like to get creative, which is what I did. :oops: These are old pics, and hopefully they will convince you to put your board into a proper case, unlike me...

This case has a removable MB tray, so I didn't worry too much about flexing, yet this sure isn't the proper way to mount valuable hardware. :shadedshu:
As far as compatibility is concerned, I had no problems fitting a CEB board into an ATX case recently (perfect standoff fit), and regarding ATX cases, most should accept your board very well, if they are big enough. Don't know about HPTX, though. Be sure to check out the dimensions of the tray, if available - I'd still recommend you try out a case designed to fit your board. Better safe than sorry! :)

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Thanks. In fact I got the bench specifically for the SR2 board. Three years ago when I put that together, I could literally count on one hand the number of hptx compatible boards. Those things are monsters. The atx board leaves a lot of unused space. The setup is in a spare room so I don't really have a problem leaving that way but I'll see how it goes.

There's also a small issue with the peripherals. Both the hdd and optical drive are IDE not SATA so I have them hooked up with host adapters. Fortunately I got bidirectional models. The SR2 board only had one IDE connector. The point is that these adapters hang off of the back of the drives. That's not such a big deal for 3.5" but it could be for the optical depending on case proportions and location. Right now both drives and the psu sit on the second tier.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
It depends... the obvious solution would be to get the proper case for your board. I managed to fit an SSI-EEB board into the ATX case of my main system after taking a close look at the MB tray dimensions at the manufacturer's site. It fits just barely and regarding standoffs - well, you could forget about some of them if you like to get creative, which is what I did. :oops: These are old pics, and hopefully they will convince you to put your board into a proper case, unlike me...

This case has a removable MB tray, so I didn't worry too much about flexing, yet this sure isn't the proper way to mount valuable hardware. :shadedshu:
As far as compatibility is concerned, I had no problems fitting a CEB board into an ATX case recently (perfect standoff fit), and regarding ATX cases, most should accept your board very well, if they are big enough. Don't know about HPTX, though. Be sure to check out the dimensions of the tray, if available - I'd still recommend you try out a case designed to fit your board. Better safe than sorry! :)

I lol'ed at the CFL :laugh:

Thanks. In fact I got the bench specifically for the SR2 board. Three years ago when I put that together, I could literally count on one hand the number of hptx compatible boards. Those things are monsters. The atx board leaves a lot of unused space. The setup is in a spare room so I don't really have a problem leaving that way but I'll see how it goes.

There's also a small issue with the peripherals. Both the hdd and optical drive are IDE not SATA so I have them hooked up with host adapters. Fortunately I got bidirectional models. The SR2 board only had one IDE connector. The point is that these adapters hang off of the back of the drives. That's not such a big deal for 3.5" but it could be for the optical depending on case proportions and location. Right now both drives and the psu sit on the second tier.

If it's just crunching, disconnect the optical drive unless you need it. Save power and worry at the same time ;)

I lol'ed at the CFL :laugh:
I love those UV tubes, however they look much nicer when turned on: ;)

I thought about getting the SR-2 way back when and was put off by having to buy an (like you said) at the time rare and expensive HPTX case.

I'm amazed IDE isn't dead yet, even more that the SR-2 has ports for it - I didn't realize at all when I had my eyes on that board (or, probably didn't care :p ). I've heard there are modern "slimline" IDE cables around, not flat ribbon style but rather like a SATA cable, I recall seeing one with two angled 90° connectors, perhaps these could save you some space and eliminate the need for adapters. ;) I've had huge problems getting one of the 8-pin EPS extension cables to go around one of the front case fans, so... I got creative again. :oops:

Point is, there (almost) always is a way! ;) To give you an example , here's a more recent picture of my battle against messy extension cables and a case clearly not designed for what I wanted to put into it. :oops:

Good luck, @twilyth . You can do it! :toast:

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
@Heaven7 - Personally, I believe in free-range cables (lol). I don't think they should be tied up and caged but rather, allowed to roam wild and free. Actually I'm just too lazy to bother with them if they aren't getting caught in a fan or something.

anyway, the new board doesn't have any IDE connectors at all so SATA was the only option.

For anyone who's interested, there are 5 more engineering samples of the 2695v3 now on ebay. The price is good - $600 each - but these seem to be very early steppings so I'm not going to get any of this particular batch.

Well, I don't really know if they're all the same stepping. I'm going to write to the seller and see if they will respond. If he has some later steppings I might get one more set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...-with-X99-i7-5820K-5930K-5960X-/331609120407?

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Too much Watts for that Clock Speed, and if it is for Crunching it wont go beyong stock speed.

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
@Knoxx29 - Very true. But you're not going to find any 14c chips with stock clocks at more than 2.6ghz. That's just the way that they're made. The more cores a chip has, the lower the clocks.

Mine are 2.3ghz base and 2.55ghz turbo. I like it because of the massive umber of cores which helps in badge hunting. It increased my total thread count by about 50%.

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
@Knoxx29 - Very true. But you're not going to find any 14c chips with stock clocks at more than 2.6ghz. That's just the way that they're made. The more cores a chip has, the lower the clocks.

Mine are 2.3ghz base and 2.55ghz turbo. I like it because of the massive umber of cores which helps in badge hunting. It increased my total thread count by about 50%.
You have 2 chips 28 Cores 56 threads running at 2.3GHz, I have a 4P Machine 24 Cores 48 Threads that run at 3.3GHz so the only advantage that your machine has over mine is 8 threads more, now my questions is why didn't you Build a 4P Machine that even if has a few cores less (4 cores are nothing if they run at slow clock speeds) than the 2P that you have built but at least would run faster:slap:

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Mainly because I never see 4P processors on ebay. Also I wanted to get newer, more efficient chips. Your chips are built on a 32nm process. Mine on 22nm. So I don't see how your's could be more efficient.

As it turns out, I'm wasting some of that efficiency by having a grossly overpowered psu that doesn't have the best efficiency. But I do have backup psu's I can use to rectify that situation if I decide to.