• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Fallout 4 (Discussion)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I feel like those of you with issues are using bleeding edge software to get your hardware to work. Look at my specs. The game has not caused one single problem for me and I am several hours in. Jeez people, get it together!

I feel like those of you with issues are using bleeding edge software to get your hardware to work. Look at my specs. The game has not caused one single problem for me and I am several hours in. Jeez people, get it together!
It's no secret that Gamebryo is buggy as hell, did you play any of the older Bethesda games? The engine dates back to around 2005.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Well that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing IF they bothered to do anything else than what seems like bandaiding extra stuff over the existing mess with it...

Oh and what the hell is the new dialogue system? That's horrible.

Well that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing IF they bothered to do anything else than what seems like bandaiding extra stuff over the existing mess with it...

Oh and what the hell is the new dialogue system? That's horrible.
Much like the one used in Mass Effect, except fubared. lol
Seems the whole GUI has been consolefied...HUD still sits in the middle of the screen tho, and also PipBoy what happened there? the scaling doesn't seem right at all....

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sheese I spent my entire night just making a small town. I can't seem to figure out how to assign workers though. I googled it but everything Ive read doesn't work.

I love the crafting system in this game. So much fun!

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Sheese I spent my entire night just making a small town. I can't seem to figure out how to assign workers though. I googled it but everything Ive read doesn't work.

wait, dont you need skill points and all sorts of different materials to build a town? how long have you been playing?

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I have had zero issues besides the FPS needed to be locked at 60 to not get stuck at terminals.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
A lot of negativity in this thread about the game, understandable, but I'm enjoying it! It's an improvement in all aspects of its predecessors.
Well you've clearly never played New Vegas.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
I had a dream codsworth had baby Shaun the whole time. a back panel opened and baby Shaun rolls out with an O2 mask strapped to his little dome and the SAW music started playing.

i'm using a controller. enter crafting mode (back button), point your crosshair on a settler (press A to command) then point your crosshair over a task like a Melon then press A again to assign.

AND BOOM SUCKA LITTLE RICKY IS A NOW A MELON FARMER

Last edited:
It's no secret that Gamebryo is buggy as hell, did you play any of the older Bethesda games? The engine dates back to around 2005.

We've had that discussion already...sigh...

Gamebryo was an abortion for running a complex, and absolutely huge, world. It had known issues with this from the day that Bethesda licensed it, but they still did. Fallout 3 was...the worse off upon release for using it. New Vegas did better, but not a lot.

Bethesda claimed that graphical fidelity was a concern, and therefore developed the Creation engine for Skyrim. It's functionally Gamebryo with much better graphics (the "reason" for dumping Gamebryo). At the same time, it's debatable how much of a new engine this is, given most of the Gamebryo commands and functions still work perfectly with Skyrim. Creation is what Fallout 4 was built on, not Gamebryo.

Now that I've sullied myself, let's be real. Gamebryo was an engine to license, because Bethesda couldn't be bothered to make their own. They've continually stretched its limits (well past their breaking points, as demonstrated by the bugs) over the past decade. Rather than break down and develop their own proprietary engine, they've focused on creating huge chunks of content. The content is actually worth while because of things from the modding community, such as the script extenders and various community patches/anti-crash mods. I can say without an ounce of doubt that I don't want the people at Bethesda writing their own engine from scratch. If the community is necessary to fix their patchwork from what is functionally the decade old updated Gamebryo, I don't even want to know what an abortion something they did 100% might be.

If anyone is still considering it, this is why paid mods were absolutely crucified. Bethesda games are never stable enough to not warrant patching, they generally stop patching short of fixing 98% of bugs (seriously, look at the bug pages for Skyrim even now), and they are allowed to do this because someone fixes their crap out of sheer love for the game. If you suddenly have a dozen different "game fixes," which eleven people are charging for, you get the idea that the community is greedy. The truth is one modder coded the patch, and 11 unethical weasels copied their work to sell for profit. Modders deserve more than words to support their work, but at the same time Bethesda doesn't deserve the majority of sales money on something they can't be bothered to patch themselves. I know this is only one facet of the issue, but it's enough to make all other parts of the paid mods experiment with Bethesda completely unpalatable.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
So is this game worth getting? Having never played a Fallout game before?

I'd hazard to say no. Before I'm crucified, let me explain.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are Bethesda games. Before that the games were very much different. Going back to before 3 would likely not prepare you well for this game.

Fallout 3 is....trying. It's known to be buggy, and unless 10 shades of grime is what you want it's also hard to recommend.

Fallout 4 is still a new game, with obvious bugs to work out. I can't see spending the $60 myself, so I can't recommend it.

What's left is awesome. Fallout: New Vegas is very playable, relatively stable in vanilla form, but already has a ton of mods out there. It's a decent place to get the feel for Fallout, and you can pick up the ultimate edition (read: with all the DLC) for way less than Fallout 4.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I am really looking for something to replace the Witcher 3 which knocked Morrowind off my all time favorite game ever. I'll be honest in that I am kind of a graphics whore. Even looking at New Vegas with graphics mods I am just not sure I could get into it. Although from what I am reading 4 isn't exactly killing it.

I am really looking for something to replace the Witcher 3 which knocked Morrowind off my all time favorite game ever. I'll be honest in that I am kind of a graphics whore. Even looking at New Vegas with graphics mods I am just not sure I could get into it. Although from what I am reading 4 isn't exactly killing it.

Bethesda games, based on Creation and Gamebryo, aren't lookers. They're about quantity of things to do. If graphics are all you're concerned about, skip Bethesda offerings entirely.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Bethesda games, based on Creation and Gamebryo, aren't lookers.

For sure, I have Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim...graphics are not everything, the story is. Graphics are second to third. For me, anyway.

If I had not played TW3, I wouldn't have posted, I would have just bought Fallout 4 and been happy. But TW3 really raised the bar of what I thought an RPG could be. I guess my biggest concern is does the story lack as much as all the user reviews suggest?

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
@lilhasselhoffer is playing the hate game on fallout4. Its like this.. If you enjoyed all other fallouts then you will have blast in this one. Its worth picking up if you are a fallout fan

I have never played a Fallout game before. I am suspecting that most of the negative reviews are from the true hardcore fans (EDIT: or people that just like to cry) that didn't get what they wanted. I have nothing to compare it to so I figured I would be fine. It will be here tomorrow just wondering if I should return it and get it on black friday or cyber monday when it will undoubtedly be on sale.

Last edited:
@lilhasselhoffer is playing the hate game on fallout4. Its like this.. If you enjoyed all other fallouts then you will have blast in this one. Its worth picking up if you are a fallout fan

Did you bother to read the post?

I'm going to assume not. Let me be plain, buying Fallout 4 right now is a stupid way to introduce yourself to the Fallout universe, when New Vegas is more stable (because of the patching), has DLC, and is cheaper to boot. I said nothing about never buying 4, or even that it is a bad game.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
The thing is, there is no excuse whatsoever for a company that made over a billion dollars on a single game to release something that almost looks like shit, period. Awesome graphics might not be what most players care about, but such company should fucking do it that way, anyway. In 2015 FFS.

Last edited:
System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Can somebody post screenshots?

My game looks really washed out. Too bright, lack of contrast, everything hazy.
I need to know if this is normal or if it's just in my case.

Too much white. Looks like a nuclear winter but there's no snow..

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
As someone who is actually playing the game, yes! Town building is cool, the combat is good and there's plenty of other things to do and explore. I've had no bugs or issues with the game.

We've had that discussion already...sigh...

Gamebryo was an abortion for running a complex, and absolutely huge, world. It had known issues with this from the day that Bethesda licensed it, but they still did. Fallout 3 was...the worse off upon release for using it. New Vegas did better, but not a lot.

Bethesda claimed that graphical fidelity was a concern, and therefore developed the Creation engine for Skyrim. It's functionally Gamebryo with much better graphics (the "reason" for dumping Gamebryo). At the same time, it's debatable how much of a new engine this is, given most of the Gamebryo commands and functions still work perfectly with Skyrim. Creation is what Fallout 4 was built on, not Gamebryo.

Now that I've sullied myself, let's be real. Gamebryo was an engine to license, because Bethesda couldn't be bothered to make their own. They've continually stretched its limits (well past their breaking points, as demonstrated by the bugs) over the past decade. Rather than break down and develop their own proprietary engine, they've focused on creating huge chunks of content. The content is actually worth while because of things from the modding community, such as the script extenders and various community patches/anti-crash mods. I can say without an ounce of doubt that I don't want the people at Bethesda writing their own engine from scratch. If the community is necessary to fix their patchwork from what is functionally the decade old updated Gamebryo, I don't even want to know what an abortion something they did 100% might be.
Creation is Gamebryo.
Gamebryo's shaders got an update for the night lighting on New Vegas strip, it was updated again in Skyrim (forget why) after which Bethesda renamed it to Creation, but otherwise they are one and the same engine.
The code is the same.

Also regarding New Vegas, Bethesda didn't develop it, Obsidian did.
Bethesda had nothing to do with the game except licensing. Which is why fundamental parts like storyline, voice acting, character development and general feel aren't anything like Fallout 3.
Obsidian care about quality, contrary to Bethesda.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
I have never played a Fallout game before. I am suspecting that most of the negative reviews are from the true hardcore fans (EDIT: or people that just like to cry) that didn't get what they wanted. I have nothing to compare it to so I figured I would be fine. It will be here tomorrow just wondering if I should return it and get it on black friday or cyber monday when it will undoubtedly be on sale.

you don't need to play any of the older games.

just watch this before you play it

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
you don't need to play any of the older games.

just watch this before you play it

I have been reading up on past story lines for the last few weeks.

Processor I5 4690K @ 4.8 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
Cooling Swiftech H140X
Memory 16GB Crucial BallistiX 1866Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
Storage 850 PRO 1TB SSD, 840 EVO 500GB SSD, 850 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Nixeus EDG 27-Inch IPS 1440P, 144HZ 16:9
Case NZXT H440 Red/Black
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse G600
Keyboard G710+
Software Win 10 64B
Can somebody post screenshots?

My game looks really washed out. Too bright, lack of contrast, everything hazy.
I need to know if this is normal or if it's just in my case.

Too much white. Looks like a nuclear winter but there's no snow..

Game auto set everything to ultra. Running well for me...

Last edited: