1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

100 Year Starship Initiative, Website Up

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Inceptor, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    The 100 Year Starship Initiative, sparked by initial funding from DARPA, and off and rolling on its own now, has just launched its website.
    The goal is construction of the first starship 100 years from now. Or failing that to spur technological and scientific development, in order to make it at least feasible, 100 years from now.

http://100yss.org/

H82LUZ73 says thanks.
  2. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    interesting idea I guess. though any designs for the starship in the next 70 years will probably just get discarded. Any investments will have 100 years to get embezzled by a sleazy accountant. Its a really long time to prepare in advance

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We need more projects like this! Long ago we had Great Wall, Pyramids, Grand Canal, etc. Now we have White House, EU, etc. Seems that people were a lot more focused in the past than now.

Swamp Monster and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  4. twilyth Guest

I agree, but the one difference thousands of years ago was the fact that technology wasn't a factor - it was relatively stagnant. I mean we name entire ages after the most advanced materials of the time - stone age --> bronze age --> iron age. At the current rate of change, 100 years may as well be 1000 or 10000. There's just no way to know what we'll be capable of in a hundred years.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. Like getting rid of hunger, disease, inequality, etc. I think we should take care of our affairs before we go spreading ourselves as a plague to the universe.

H82LUZ73, qubit, KieranD and 1 other person say thanks.
  6. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    This sounds horrible! I'm going to be dead by then! *kicks rock, puts hands in pocket lowers head and walks into the sunset*

Red_Machine says thanks.
  7. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    We have the help of rapidly advancing tech, all they had was their hands and a few tools! Shame on us :/

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Makes sense DARPA would fund something like this. Why maintain a huge bomber fleet when you could have one star ship do all the bombing for you from...SPPPAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

The emphasis is on social issues of the here and now and not solving long-term problems like Earth's resources eventually being exhausted. It's much easier for the sheeple to see a lack of jobs as an issue than the distant lack of iron being an issue.

Exactly my point. Humanity is doomed to fail if we only focus on the here and now. The massive accomplishments of the past, what were they directed at? The afterlife. Why shouldn't every decision we make today be based upon our great-grand children's well being 100 years from now? Our current trajectory is effectively digging our own graves; future generations be damned.

We put a man on the moon in a few decades. With enough resources, there's no reason why we couldn't make a space ship the size of an aircraft carrier (or 5) that is self-sustaining in about the same time. In fact, that's exactly what we should be doing. Space travel technologies aren't going to take the necessary leaps and bounds forward without such a program. Remember, most things learned from such a project can be applied to problems here on Earth.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
    H82LUZ73 and NC37 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm.

DARPA discovered Kickstarter.

10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    DARPA invented the Internet. No DARPA, no Kickstarter. :p

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    That is why we need dictators to lead the sheeple! :roll:

Lionheart says thanks.
  12. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    While I support the idea of something like this, it still depresses and pisses me off that I won't ever get to see it bear fruit. I want to sit in the captain's chair, dammit!

NC37 says thanks.
  13. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Blame your grandparents for not starting this project earlier then :p

14. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and we have done what to solve that in thousands of years? Nothing...we've got a society now that has grown completely complacent. One way or another, those fall apart.

Our future is in space, not here. Need resources? That is where they are waiting. Our solar system alone is a gold mine. Raw materials on multiple worlds + asteroids, water in the moons of Jupiter and Saturn...come on, they are like stepping stones. Expanding onto other worlds/moons will create more room. Take stress off the home planet. Eventually move the entire space program to space itself. Manufacturing ships in zero G will be a heck of a lot easier than down here.

Vulpesveritas says thanks.
  15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'd never be interested in joining a project where the fruits of my labour would only ever be realized long after I'm dead. The results from this are speculative, too. What a crock.

16. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    All the politicians have the same train of thought as you do: "I'd never be interested in making the country better when the fruits of my labour will only be realised when I retire". :shadedshu

I would personally want to join a project where the fruits of my labour will not realise until decades after I die, that is how I want to leave my mark in the world, rather than having an elaborate tomb saying "I waz here!"

17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    chin up.

Maybe by that time they would have found ways to download or transfer peoples brains onto a invincible cyborg so that even when the flesh is dead the brain will live on!! - somewhat Ghost In The Shell'esk

though the idea scares me a little but at the end of the day would you rather be dead and gone or 'live on' in an artificial body potentially as an Ai that still holds your soul and personality?

18. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    That's the thing that gets me the most, we can solve problems like hunger and the impeding energy crisis. No offence to anyone with AIDs for example but when someone dies of a simple disease or problem we can prevent and solve right now well its sad; those are easily preventable deaths yet we go after less preventable and future projects. Same deal with this starship, what's the point if our own backyard needs attention.

19. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Hunger is an emotion we all feel every day. Disease is a means to prevent overpopulation. Inequality is a certainty for we are not born equal (e.g. the disabled).

Preventable? They embody humanity.

How crapy would our lives be today if science hasn't given us a 1000 uses for a barrel of oil? It's time to reach for the next "age" and only space is going to fast track it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    This is seriously flawed logic. I'm glad you don't lead anything besides your household.

21. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I want it now!

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    awwww fail, i want it in 20 years so i can tag along.

Lionheart says thanks.
  23. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Damned straight. Plague - about right.

Yeah, you're right too; it depends on what makes you happy. It's similar, but not quite the same with politicians staying in office for a limited time though. Can't really go into that here though. Feel free to discuss this over at GN if you like. :) Just send me a PM with a link.

24. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand
    I don't care, I'm still free
    You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black
    Tell them I ain't comin' back
    Burn the land and boil the sea

Leave the men where they lay
    They'll never see another day
    Lost my soul, lost my dream

I feel the black reaching out
    I hear its song without a doubt
    I still hear and I still see
    That you can't take the sky from me.

Lost my love, lost my land
    Lost the last place I could stand
    There's no place I can be
    Since I've found Serenity

And you can't take the sky from me.

:toast:

25. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Amen Brother....Too the dictator comment was Mosses one?,I mean he lead his Hebrew flock out of 400 years of slavery,If we as a human race have to call one other a name then we have no right to be in space,until we get rid of the so called 1% who we make to be celebrity like ....those who know what 1% means .......that is what holds us up ,do we as a race lower our standards to theirs?

Just like in Star Trek right ,,,Speaking of which you fellow Trekkers will be happy to know ST2 is coming 2013 :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012