1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

280 overheat

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by PP Mguire, Nov 1, 2009.

1. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried asking about this before but to no end nobody would say a thing. Ok i bought this card from System Viper (eVGA GTX280 FTW) and he said he would get back to me in a PM but hasent.

So now im posting...again... to try and fix this card so my money wasnt a waste.

Anyways, whenever i use this card and run anything 3d with fan at 100% it gets well over 100c and when it hits 104c of course it starts throttling. Heres a screen to show this.

[​IMG]

Now ive taken apart the cooler, fan works perfectly, there is no dust, ive reapplied thermal paste twice now. Idk what to do with this. I even tried changing drivers, slots, PSU plugs. Now my 280SC i got from him works perfectly with any slot driver or PSU plug set. Any ideas guys?
  2. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    ::EDIT:: I just saw your speeds were stock.... My best guess is then that the IHS contact to the chip is bad.
  3. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    If the card comes with the thermal mess of Hell than this sounds like FTL to me.
    Try replacing the thermal paste and turn up the fan, 100C+ is too hot for even the GTX 280.
  4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I believe he's replaced the paste (twice) and cranked the fan to 100% already.
    PP Mguire says thanks.
  5. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for reading my post Kan. It seems after some Google that FTW edition really has alot of troubles with this. My best guess is to get high stock stable clocks they increase volts.

621 is NOT stock. I underclocked it to try and control temps. 670 core is stock for FTW.

Luckily is seems Sys Viper hasent registerd this card so i MIGHT be able to RMA it and hopefully get an SC back instead. If this happens, ill be doin Tri-sli woot.
  6. Binge

Thanks Received:
    You'll be able to RMA no problem if it wasn't regged. I meant that is around stock 280 clocks. If you had seen what I deleted from my post the statement would have made more sense.
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Flash it to the SC GTX280 or similar and see if that might help alleviate the issue some-how, some way. Unless one's a 55nm and ones a 65nm of course, but if they're both 65nm, you shouldn't have an issue...one of the first things I did with my first GTX260 192 was flash it to an EVGA FTW 260 bios for a 5-minute OC with modified fan profiles. Then NiBitor finally supported the bioses so I just modded from there...but I wonder if a different, lower-end bios all together might help...probably not, but RMA is also another promising prospect.

Hope you get it sorted w/o RMA, if you've reseated the card twice and have no dust buildup, and the other GTX is reading cooler, it's gotta be an issue with that card obviously...if it were me I'd try a lower end 280 bios for the hell of it...if that didn't work, flash to stock and rma.

:toast:
  8. Binge

Thanks Received:
    To see if the voltage is changed you could always use EVGA's voltage tuner. There are no 55nm 280s. They were renamed GTX 285. I have volt modded 280s. They shouldn't be that hot TBH.
  9. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well 621 is stock for my SC but this FTW has just been a pain in the ass. I requested an SC in the support and hopefully they will replace it, and if they do with an SC.

I attempted to flash to an older bios which was actually my first idea after trying the cooler the first time. That was epic fail because it wouldnt flash for me. (I have my SC bios copied and attempted to flash with that in Windows because i have no way of getting into DOS with USB unless somebody has an easy way of doing it.)

I also tried turning voltage all the way down in voltage tuner, no dice.
  10. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Go for the gold. RMA that bitch.
  11. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aye, that im gonna try. If they replace it ill be doin stepup for the FTW 200 board and go tri sli =DDD
    Binge says thanks.
  12. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I have a dedicated 512MB USB flash drive that I've used to get into DOS for quite a while, took a couple of minutes or so to setup for use with booting. Make the USB drive the first drive to boot to in bios, and bam. Check my GTX 260/280 thread op for a link to a page with downloads and instructions, literally takes no time at all. I've never flashed any recent cards in windows, but in DOS the GTX bios flashes I've done took just a couple of seconds, and never had an issue. Check the link in my sig for the GTX thread.

:toast:

Edit: Here I just went and got the link, save ya some scrolling.

http://www.student.livjm.ac.uk/cmpsgoos/usb_bootdrive_guide.htm
    PP Mguire says thanks.
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Phone eVGA they will help you for sure. They always been good to me.
  14. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    eVGA = fail.

They replied to my email saying that they needed a serial number and that i provided the production number.

Umm you HAVE to have a serial number enterd to register the card

FAIL!!!
  15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Don't bother emailing them, just start an RMA process in the user control panel on their site.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  16. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    It says you need to get a support ticket by emailing them...
  17. Binge

Thanks Received:
    You don't need to e-mail them, but keep up communication. They failed in understanding you.
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    So send them your S/N of your card lol. Am i missing some thing here?.. Once all thats sorted they will help endlessly.

Only FAIL i see is you not giving them enough info.
  19. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    You HAVE to input a S/N and product number for it to recognize your card and register it. The fail is with eVGA here because if i put in the wrong number it wouldnt detect exactly what i had. Then they said i needed a support ticket to RMA but yet if they dont realize that they already have the S/N........i see this going nowhere.

Edit: Well did a follow up with the email they sent me and attatched a pic of the SN sticker on the card which is exactly the same number i put in the websites box.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  20. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    hmmm... it looks like maybe the thermal probe is faulty... maybe you can edit the bios to prevent the card from throttling. Or maybe there is a hack online to prevent nv drivers from throttling.

If you want a card now and dont wanna wait for the RMA, buy a card from best buy, switch the coolers... and then return it for a refund. Its bad, I know... but that way you dont have to wait. OR deal with the bullsh*t that EVGA is giving you.
  21. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill do that when i get my 3rd 280 and try the cooler from that one on it. If it works, i will then do the switchy thing.
  22. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    There were a few of these cards reported on various forums with the same symptoms and as far as I know, they are broken.

Stock cooler is noisy, but it can handle the card fine and it shouldn't get to that temperature. Hope you get a working one.

Kursah: nice avatar! omp omp, I'm the coolest robot, yes I am. Hey over here! Please don't shoot me!
    Kursah says thanks.
  23. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea well got the reply back from evga and they are being invoice natzis. so anybody want to buy an overheating 280?
  24. kyle2020 Guest

My 260 did the same at one point, under 100% fan in games like XSS and TF2 my GPU temperature would rocket into the 90's. I tried re applying TIM (used MX-2) 5+ times? Anyway none of that worked, I deemed the stock cooler ineffective and got myself an AC Accelero GTX280 Xtreme cooler :D
  25. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yep they have always in my experience asked for one and to me i never had a issue giving them one.

Yet another reason to shop Newegg as they save them for ever lol.