1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3930k to 3770k ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Live OR Die, Dec 9, 2012.

1. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Your spec argument is hollow since those specs don't benefit you, and BCLK is of no interest. Why would I want to push my cpu within 30mhz of being unstable? I stuck to even clocks even when I had the option. Beyond that you've got the worst config to defend buying a 2011. The same (in a few instances worse) performance as a 2600k across the board, so you have zero justification for your increased power draw. That's why when 2011 came out everyone said go big or go home. Why did you buy it if you aren't using one of the 6 cores that distinguish it from 1155? You can try convincing yourself you made the right move but it doesn't seem particularly rational.
  2. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I get what you are saying, LAN, skt2011 is a waste for gaming but when you utilize all threads on a 3930K/3960X it trounces the 3770k.

The only reason I'd recommend socket 2011 for gaming is when someone has 3 or 4 GPUs, anything less and it is a waste of money.

EDIT: also socket 2011 with a CPU that has less than 6 cores it is a waste, any 1155 chip can do the same with lower TDP, if you go X79 then just buy a 6 core.
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I bought it for the 8 slots of memory and quad channel, I wanted VT-d as well. I think it was worth paying the extra 100$ on the mobo for that. Also, it's funner to OC and has a better upgrade path a longer life because of it
    Aquinus says thanks.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I got SB-E mainly for the DIMM slots and VT-d since I develop on a number of VMs. On the same token I also wanted to overclock (SB and IVB don't offer chips with VT-d that can overclock very well). The 3820 has done great for me. It kind of pisses me off when people say it's crap when they don't own one and that every person with a 3820 who has posted has said it is a worth while, capable chip.

This thread isn't about which is better, it's about weather or not Live OR Die should "upgrade" to a 3770k not. Weather or not moving to a 3770k is debatable but the end result is simple. No matter what CPU he uses, it will perform well and getting the 3770k in hopes that it will run faster is absurd. Go look at benchmarks. The CPU matters less and less as the resolution goes up, so unless you have a ton of GPU power, your CPU isn't going to be the bottleneck.

If anything you should wait for IVB-E to see what it brings to the table.

Also, I didn't buy a SB-E chip for it to sip electricity. I bought it to suck it down and to do everything I throw at it, and I'm happy to say that it delivers.
  5. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I think he can get his idea about the two platforms and if it is worth to switch even if we are debating about the pro and cons, I don't think we are going off topic :)
  6. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol I'll trade you my Asus Max V Formula with a i7-3770k + some cash for your i7-3930k + Asus RIVE

Let me know:)
  7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I think he just wants to play with new toys and get a higher OC for fun. He just needed people to tell him to not itch the change itch :p
    Aquinus and Lionheart say thanks.
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    This ^ lolz :roll:
  9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I completely understand and agree with this. It's all the people who don't who are egging him on to replace perfectly good hardware.
  10. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    I've had both systems and I would strongly recommend the 3770k over the 3930k. If you already have a 3930k it doesnt make financial sense to buy a 3770k. Performance is about the same for most tasks but the 3770k excels at power draw and memory latency is noticeably better on a 3770k system. Theres a noticeable feel of snappyness and responsiveness on a 3770k system compared to sandy bridge-e.

No doubt the trigate architecture also helps with responsiveness with less power leakage but if you check benchmarks memory latency is 33%-40% better on a 3770k system and its noticeable. Sandy bridge-e felt like a slow unresponsive mess to me, the platform was also rushed and unfinished and you can tell by the way Intel only had enterprise drivers up until 8 months after release.

Sandy bridge -e also has no official pci-e 3 support, no native USB 3, etc. I have always bought the high end X38/X48/X58 but I regretted buying X79 considering the CPU was $600 alone. Trust me, 3770k is a better system.

You could probably do what I did, sell the X79 system and use the money for a Z77/3770k, I got most of my money back on the X79 system because it was only a few weeks old, so it didnt cost anything to sidegrade, much happier on the 3770k.
  11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...but wouldn't that make more sense to wait for IVB-E to see what Intel does? Also if you bought the 3930k for strictly gaming, that is half of the reason right there why you "didn't like it". :p All in all, I've been very happy with my 3820 and 42ns memory latency isn't that bad which is about what I get depending on clocks.
  12. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    You could be even happier upping the multiplier to x44 and undervolting a bit. :D
  13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    He doesn't give a flying fuck about power consumption
    Aquinus says thanks.
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    My 4.5ghz 2500k is a bottle neck for a few games I play. Planetside 2 for example.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    There are a few basic questions to address, in any upgrade scenario.
    1) Cost.
    2) Performance.
    3) Future expansion.

Looking at those topics.
    1) You've already plinked down a substantial chunk of change on a socket 2011 board (and presumably a processor). If you bought a 3930k, you're looking at a minimum of $750 between the motherboard and the processor. A new IB system will cost about $500 is you get a moderate motherboard and a deal on a 3770k.

That $250 difference in initial price, once the resale cost of the 2011 setup, might be about $100 out of your pocket (assuming a very good buyer). Let's say that the cost of this new system is $100, after selling the old stuff.

2) Here's the sticking point. 2011 doesn't have the IB architecture on it yet. SB is great, but it still performs less efficiently clock-per-clock than IB. At the same time, SB has much better thermal characteristics (due to an Intel production choice). Architecture aside, the increase in core count means socket 2011 can run 12 threads, whereas 1155 can only run 8 threads.

Because performance is also objective, what you are doing matters. Gaming often utilizes only a small number of threads. Larger, or more complex, programs can often utilize multiple threads. Someone using Photoshop, versus a gaming rig, are completely different performance situations.

3) Socket 1155 is dead. IB is the last gasp before it is phased out for socket 1150. Socket 2011 is supposed to get IB...in late 2013 (two years after it came out). If you want an upgrade path, 2011 is your only choice. The thing is, socket 1155 isn't a slouch, and may well be relevant for the next four years.

All told, I'd stick with the 2011 socket. Yes, you have a higher power draw. Yes, you've got a poor choice of motherboards (read: there were substantial issues). Yes, you've get slightly less performance currently.

On the other hand, IB-e might just save socket 2011 (yeah, it's extreme optimism). You've got an upgrade path, a boat load of PCI-e and memory channels, and you've already spent the money. IB on socket 1155 looks excellent on paper, if you're buying a new system. If you're jumping ship the monetary investment, and slight performance gains, aren't likely to be worth while in the long run.
    PatoRodrigues, Aquinus and n-ster say thanks.
  16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    only thing I would add to above is that there are plenty great mobos for 2011, so the lower amount of choices doesn't make much of a difference
  17. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Could you give me a few (decent options)? My experience has been instability among quite a few of the initially available Gigabyte boards. Knowing something that can reliably overclock, without burning up in three months, would be very nice.

I also did not specify that there are few options, only when compared to the huge amount available for socket 1155. My mistake there.
  18. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte boards you should avoid. I've heard good things about the AsRock X79 Fatal1ty Professional (especially for OCing as it has a good VRM) or the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe (though some do have stability problems...). ofc the best OCing mobos are the Extreme11 or Fatal1ty Champion, but they are expensive

I personally have the standard P9X79 and I've had no problems with it.

If you aren't going to OC too much there are a few boards who offer great features like the Gigabyte X79S-UP5 which is cheap and is basically including a RAID card

I'd also avoid EVGA.... basically stick with ASUS or AsRock

One thing the Gigabyte is EXXTREMELY weak at is OCing large amounts of RAM, especially 8 DIMMs

EDIT: Sabertooth is getting good review support as well
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  19. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Asus is awesome until you have to deal with RMA, that service is terrible.

I've honestly "touches wood iron or whatever" never had any problem with Asus so I've been lucky, my systems always had Asus boards and they are all still working fine.

I've built several Z68/Z77 systems too, Asus boards, and no problems whatsoever so I've never felt the need to rely on other manufacturers.

I've heard Gigabyte isn't that good especially because they tend to have LAN/USB ports die over time, but take this with a grain of salt because I've never dealt personally with em.

If I had to recommend a specific motherboard I'd recommend TUF Sabertooth X79/Z77, very solid choice.

This, EVGA mobos became junk the moment Shamino left that company and went for ASUS.
  20. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I remember Gigabyte being the best for X58 for example, I think it all depends on which platform it is
  21. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've loved every bit of my P9X79 Deluxe. There is a lot of features and functionality built into this board. Not to mention a very beefy set of VRMs.
    I've yet to experience this. My OCs are a slight bit more unstable with the 3009 BIOS, granted there is a BIOS update out with the only notes being "Improves system stability," but that is what they said about 3009. Either way it hasn't even given me any problems.
  22. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Problem is, nobody but the companies have a clue on failure/return rates and stability falls on the user more so than the hardware in a lot of cases. Consider an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 will take a 3570K/3770K happily to 4.5GHz+ and so will the MVE, OCFormula etc up to for hundreds more (being dramatic there). So anecdotal evidence from anyone is tough to make a decision. All too commonly people will have ONE bad experience with ONE board and never go to that company again. I find that LOLOLasaurus as I have to imagine that though you see horror stories from all MFG on all products, I have to imagine (imagine the key word as I dont know either clearly) that 90% of customers are happy with the hardware they purchased. I'll take a chance in finding out myself than listening to people all bitter about a singular experience, or even a couple.

If I told you what I went through on my 07 Sentra SER SpecV with Nissan you would flip your lid that I am considering buying a Maxima or perhaps the new Altima 3.5L... Perhaps Im a glutton for punishment but if people's products were THAT bad, those companies would be out of business ya know? Not to mention, people bitch and complain more than they post positive things.. Id laugh if forums were saturated with, "zOMG I ordered a Asrock hoochie and it works!". :)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  23. PatoRodrigues

PatoRodrigues

Thanks Received:
    Power bill reduced.
    Cost to "downgrade" would be minimal after selling parts.
    Difference of performance wouldn't be signifcant for gaming (but could be for heavy editing and rendering).
    Low ceiling to overclock (unless you want to play with de-lidding/making some with the 3770K, replacing the TIM with something like Liquid Pro + Indigo Xtreme).

I wouldn't "downgrade", personally. X79 platform will have a upgrade path with IVB-E, and you may want check out on that down the road.

Just my shi*** opinion, tho.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  24. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Ivybridge gets low 30's on the latency..... BTW.

You make some good points. All 3 (3930K, 3820 and 3770K) are great for gaming. In synthetics you will see a disparity in score. I own both a 3930K and 3770K and they perform pretty much equal in gaming. Kudos to the guy who finally said no PCIe 3.0. For gaming, the 3770K is the best choice. Socket 2011 motherboards are more expensive and so are the processors. gaming is a no brainer. Raw CPU horsepower goes to the 3930K. I am with he should not change. He will not be able to overclock Ivy higher than the 3930K due to the heat which was mentioned.

Ivy-E chips will most likely start out at $600. Ivy saw about a 5% increase over Sandy on average and Ivy-E will most likely be the same.
  25. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    My board got good reviews, I'm happy with this mobo:
    [​IMG]