1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

7970 screwed up !!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by shoti02, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Great! You should have no problem with the RMA I expect.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With a comparably clocked 4770K it's about a 30-40% difference in frames.

Vario says thanks.
  3. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Yep your processor is pretty outdated. A used sandy bridge i5 would be a good upgrade if you don't want to spend too much coin.

4. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    I sorta get what you're telling me to do, but after this experience I'm not sure I really want to take the risk again unless I had a full set of instructions. Maybe I could give it a go. Do I have this right? Inset my old 8800GT into slot 1 and 7970 into slot 2. Create a bootable USB from atiflash and place the original ROM on the USB and boot into it. run command atiflash.exe -f -p 1 biosname.rom... I assume when you boot into the USB it comes up with a command line?? Then reboot and hope for the best?

How would I know which is the original rom to download and place on the USB? I have the Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD I'm pretty sure...

EDIT:
    Instead of using my 8800GT, can I stick my 7970 into slot 2 and use the onboard graphics? Or does the GPU always take priority regardless of slot and cable that's plugged in?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes u have the old MS-DOS command line :).... u can use ur onboard graphic but be sure u Flash the right Card... first make a readout with atiflash -i. that will Show u the Cards...if u use an nvidia Card as a Primary Card it won´t be displayed ( because atiflash won´t recognized it...). after u have flashed it with atiflash -i -p 0 or 1 biosname.rom u will see it on the Monitor. atiflashdisplays u what bios was before and what after that. only to be pretty sure u have the OC-3gd is not enough. pull ur Card out of the Slot and watch on it, it is printed on the Card which revi and which Modell then get the right bios from the Gigabyte Homepage.... it should be the F72 bios....be sure u rename the bios because it has an F72 ending....good luck...

i forgot if u use the onboard graphic is it possible that ur Screen is black if it happens open the bios and activate on board graphics instead pci-express....

Disruptor4 says thanks.
  6. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ...what do u think about the fx 9590 it´s pretty cheap right now....~ 370,- US Dollar in Germany.......the 3770 K cost the same......but i had Intel not the last 15 years....is it worth ?? and what about the Mainboard...u know an cheap board with good oc Qualities ???

7. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    The 9590 isn't compatible with many boards. 200w TDP. Get an 8350 + 8+2 phases motherboard (4+1 throttles overclocked 8350s).

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 + 8350 would be a personal recommendation (long time Gigabyte user). Don't forget to apply the Core Parking patches for W7

If you wan't to save a little cash you could go with a 990FXA-UD3 + 8320 combo.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    As I'll probably use onboard graphics, is it still the command atiflash.exe -f -p 1 biosname.rom or do I use 0 instead of 1 since there isn't a 2nd GPU plugged into slot. Or does the onboard still take up slot 0 and thus still have to use 1. Or will ATIFlash tell me which GPU's are which ? Also why do I need to rename the BIOS? Can't I leave it to default of what Gigabyte has the name? Is there a special naming convention?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u use onboard should ur graphic card be the number 1 because 0 is the onboard.....u have to rename the bios because atiflash ist not able to flash with the ending .F72..... the ending has to be .rom.....

Disruptor4 says thanks.
  10. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks very much for clarifying that. I think My rom will need to be F3 as I think I have the original v1 card of the GPU and not v2.1... Going to give this a go tonight. If it works, then I'll be really happy and not have to spend some money on a 290X :p

11. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    Quick update.
    Had to enable IGFX to boot first and change the PCIE (or something) to be Legacy instead of EPM Rom (or something) compatible.
    So I was able to boot into the USB and ran command atiflash.exe -f -p 1 R797O~2.rom (when I did a dir command that's what it ended up naming the rom file.. too long??) and it thought about it for about 5 seconds then came back and said Adapter not found. Any other suggestions?
    I've got into windows with the same MOBO BIOS settings and windows device manager see's the card. VGA@BIOS from gigabyte says "Unknown. Unknown bytes. Warning! No card found here!"

Any other suggestions would be great to try bring this card back to life.

12. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ...what is displayed if u type atiflash -i ???

Disruptor4 says thanks.
  13. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    It said the ID was 0. So I changed the command to atiflash.exe - f - p 0 romname.rom and it seems to have worked. Is this what should be displayed after? I can now boot into Windows with all default mobo BIOS settings.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2pzg2li.jpg

Also Gigabyte VGA@BIOS reports the bios that i flashed it with and with a numerical value for the bytes. GPU-z is showing the onboard Intel GFX and the 7970. So might need to check the BIOS and disable the Onboard unless it doesn't make a difference provided I set the mobo bios to say that PCI-e is priority?
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2i7bmft.png

Is there any other way to verify it is 100% working besides loading games up or doing a render test in GPU-z or should that be enough?

EDIT: After doing a render test this is what GPU-Z shows. It appears stuck in 8x mode and it can't read my sensors anymore... is something wrong?
    http://i42.tinypic.com/nlpx6d.png

EDIT 2: I completely forgot to plug the DVI cable back into the 7970. Appears to boot fine. Here is a shot of GPU-z. Is this normal? Appears stuck at 8x still even with the render test.
    http://i42.tinypic.com/30k8580.png

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  14. shoti02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ...card in slot one ?

Disruptor4 says thanks.
  15. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    No. Slot 2. Which is 8x. Explains it. I can't fit the card into slot 1 though due to the ATX 12v cable being so short that it cuts across slot 1, goes under slot 2 and the card into the PSU. I should get some photo's and start a thread on how to improve cable management I suppose....
    Would it being 8x make much of a difference at present? I will need to redo cable management at some stage though...

16. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Get a cable extender for the PSU cable Examples under the heading Pre Modded Cables

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Disruptor4 says thanks.
  17. Disruptor4

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice. It does explain how people have such good cable management. Thanks to all for their help and sorry for thread jacking!!!