1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A "clicky" keyboard suggestion?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I'm looking to get a ______ to really abuse and there's nothing more satisfying than having the thing I'm abusing fight and scream back at me. ;)

With all jokes aside, I'm looking for a tactile keyboard (non-laptop style) that has a moderate key travel distance before hitting bottom, and once it hits the bottom it gives a decent push. It doesn't have to have backlighting or even media controls, I just want to abuse it like I did my old one... which suffered a very unfortunate death at the space bar area where I smashed it one too many times.

The G11/G15 keys are too mushy for me, so I want something that gives more feedback than that.

Edit: Somehow I remember asking this very question a while ago... dejavu??

2. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this for gaming reasons? I use the Ideazon MERC. Has good key travel to it and has that "bounce back" feeling you are looking for. They usualy have them @ best buy, go in and play with one you might like it.

Kantastic says thanks.
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I do game but nothing serious, this'll be more for everyday use. My Logitech Illuminated kb is working like a champ but I want to go back to a standard non-laptop styled keyboard so I can abuse abuse abuse.

I took a look at the Merc but I would like to lean towards something I wouldn't mind bringing to an office environment, that's a little too... LOOKATME!!11@!!

4. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a little extreem looking but for gaming Ive personaly never found anything that performs as well, even the almighty G15.

Kantastic says thanks.
  5. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Wait wait, there's a bunch of "clicky" keyboards, but what do you want out of it. Typing response, tactility, looks, and many more qualities are available. There are two best keyboards I've ever experienced for an office/gaming environment.

Das Keyboard Model S It's important that it's a Model S.

Filco Majestouch Tactile Click NKRO

Both units price are justified. There's a lot of costly components that go into these keyboards and they are made to be cleaned yearly or so and last decades with proper care.

Kantastic says thanks.
  6. JaYp146 New Member

Thanks Received:
    IBM Model M is what you want, OP ... they're heavy enough to be used as melee weapons and last forever.

Kantastic says thanks.
  7. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    The DAS still has transposition issues, I'd go for the Filco if someone wanted a premium keyboard.

Kantastic says thanks.
  8. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Yo Kenshai, that's why I recommended the Model S. Both keyboards are made by the same OEM, Costar, and Das requested to have higher make quality for the Model S. There are no issues.

I own the original Das, Das II, and Das Model S as well as a Filco and ABS M1.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:8300

I really doubt that's what he wants. The original Model M did not have NKRO or USB compatibility which is a serious drawback. Even the Unicomp Customizer which is a remake of the Model M with USB/PS2 and it doesn't have NKRO. That sh!t is important for gaming.

Kantastic says thanks.
  9. Depth

Thanks Received:
    My 4 year old Saitek Eclipse has survived countless incidents with beer, cider, cola, booze and energy drinks as well as drunken beatings and me waking up on it with severe hangovers.

[​IMG]

Best keyboard I've ever had. :D

Kantastic says thanks.
  10. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    IBM Model M FTW!!!! I've been looking for one of those forever. I had one back with my 286 IBM PS/2 and can never forget the beast and it's metallic clicking keys! clang clank clang clang clunk... Screw USB my PC still has PS/2 ports for a reason lol!

Kantastic says thanks.
  11. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Looks do not really matter and I don't want to pay premium for features I don't need. I just want a reaaally abusable keyboard. I don't want anything that's labelled as ergonomic.

The Das keyboard looks exactly like the type of keyboard I want but at $130 it's not even an option.

What kind of mechanism was common in the cheap keyboards 4-5 years ago?

12. Binge

Thanks Received:
    4-5 years ago? Just crappy dome switch keys. They've become more silent and squishy. The thing about keyboards is that the same companies make most of them, so if they move to a new standard then you will not find the old ones again.

Kantastic says thanks.
  13. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Ugh, I hate silent and squishy. If my mother hadn't thrown out that broken keyboard I could've checked the key mechanism and possibly brand/model and looked for a replacement online. If my only option is to dish out $130 for a keyboard that I'm going to drop cracker crumbs and spill soda on, then I'd rather spend that money on beer. :(

14. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... what's your pocket-size?

15. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I'll dish out around $50 give or take $10. Any more than that and I'll have to think long and hard.

16. Binge

Thanks Received:
    When you're gaming, what are the most pressed keys simultaneously?

17. dna1x

dna1x New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting the Ione Scorpius m10

I was also in the market for a mechanical clicky keyboard. I was at first interested in the Filco keyboards from elitekeyboards.com, but they were well over $100 :eek:. Then I found the Ione Scorpius M10 for $60 shipped. This KB has all the features of the Filco Majesto with the cherry blue mx switches and NKRO at half the price. I just ordered mine just last week and I'm waiting for it right now.

Youtube Ione Scorpius M10 review.

The geekhack forums have audio recordings of many mechanical keyboards in use, if you're interested.

18. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

19. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Yo bro, just a warning. Those keyboards are cheaply made. Many of them die without much use.

20. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Uh... I'm not worried about ghosting at all if that's what you're getting at. :)

21. Binge

Thanks Received:
    GOT IT!

http://www.geminicomputersinc.com/g80-3000lscrc-2.html

Those are keyboards made by the folks who make the switches. This is from the OEM stuff. German made, not meant to be sexy, but they're total quality.

That also means that the ABS M1 is an option. They sell on newegg. Those keyboards are TANKS that make a THOCK. Some people don't like how loud those things are, and I do like cherry switches' click of the keyboard linked in this post.

Kantastic says thanks.
  22. dna1x

dna1x New Member

Thanks Received:
    Duly noted.

I've read some negative things about them from other forums. I'm considering it to be just a starter clicky keyboard until after the Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Otaku becomes available.

Hopefully, nothing breaks before then.

23. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    I was doing research when the S was first released. It was still having issues it seems within the past two weeks they've released the new revision of the S.

I will second this, not good quality. I've had keys stop working on both the ones I've had. I managed to fix the second one but some of them still act up from time to time. At the moment I'm on some random dome keyboard I found for cheap. Until I bite the bullet on another Filco which I ran into a rather expensive accident after having quite a few too many.

24. Binge

Thanks Received:
  25. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I was going to suggest the same thing. He described the model M perfectly when he said what he was looking for. Wish my parents hadn't thrown ours out years ago.