1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX 8150 Looks Core i7-980X and Core i7 2600K in the Eye: AMD Benchmarks

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Sep 24, 2011.

1. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    In the anandtech article on SB, the 980 loses 7 out of ten tests to the core i7 2500 and i7 2600 (in gaming). To be honest guys, it's a marketing gimmick. If it shows the BD barely beating the 980, then it clearly by logic is a long way off beating SB.

That being said, the 980 bested SB on two runs of Civ V (heavily core dependent) and DA:O.

There is no point comparing BD with the 980 as it is an obsolete chip for most people. The 980 (like SB-E) is a part designed for heavy multi threaded use and in particular workstations. If BD beats the SB architecture at heavy multi-tasking then it's good for AMD. But it's a bit poo for the desktop gamers (most of whom are arguing here). If a cheaper core i7 2500 can beat an i7 980 gaming (which has been shown by AMD's own slide to beat BD in most gaming cases shown) then BD coming in at more than a 2500 is bad for AMD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  2. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Why would they compare it to the 980x in multithreading, when it costs 3x the price of BD?They chose to compare it to its real competition - the 2500 and 2600 :nutkick:

Seriously guys stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill...
  3. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    So no comparison in games vs sandy, obviously why and all the slides try to convince us that this FX is meant for gaming. That's just great.
  4. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    SB is faster clock per clock and core per core than the 980x

that being said, 8core BD is about the same as 6 core 12t 980x in multi thread bench
    that means clock per clock and core per core power of BD is lower than 980x

which still has looooong way to catch up with SB
  5. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then why compare it to a 980X in gaming AND most importantly price? :nutkick:

Seriously guys stop trying to defend AMD and their stupid marketing.

EDIT: Well the marketing is not entirely stupid. It assumes WE are stupid which is why I'm discussing it here to begin with. it's the "let's assume our customers are idiots" attitude taken to a new whole level. It's embarrasing and offensive.

We all want AMD to be fast and to compete, but not at this price. I'd rather keep my sould.
    heky says thanks.
  6. heky

heky

Thanks Received:
    Seriously? You come with that statement? In games they use the old proc from intel becouse they cant compare to SB, becouse BD looses. And in multithreading the 2600K beats the shit out of the 8 core BD(or thread whatever you want to call BD). Just take a look at cinebench, a classic multithread test.

Ehm...if the slides are true, that means the top bulldozer with its 8 cores and a higher stock clock scores 5.95 points in cinebench(rendering, highly multithreaded) while my 2600K with 4 cores 8 threads at stock scores 6.90.
    Bulldozer overclocked to 4.8ghz scores 7.8, while my 2600K @4.8ghz scores 9.38! So much for multithread superiority of BD.
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, why should you care? You obviously aren't changing anyone's mind and I recognize you are trying very hard with all of your posts in this thread. Those who know better will and those who don't can keep dreaming the dream. No amount of convincing or otherwise is going to change the truth.
    v12dock, HumanSmoke, driver66 and 2 others say thanks.
  8. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sentence was just a response to the one he posted. I take it as a semi-offense when someone tells me I'm trying to blow things out of proportion with nothing to back it up, or flawed proofs when I'm just stating the facts so that people get all the info. Blame me for indirectly assuming some readers may lack the info, but then please blame AMD too for thinking we are stupid, please.

If trying to get people informed and avoid them to harm themselves is a crime, please shoot me now, because I'm guilty.
    driver66 and heky say thanks.
  9. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Um, no. I actually agree with what you are saying in regards to the topic. I'm saying that a thousand forum posts isn't going to change people's minds. If you feel insulted that was not my intent.

Have a nice day.
    heky and tigger say thanks.
  10. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't feel insulted by you. I felt semi-insulted by his claim of me (between others) making a mountain out of a molehill... That sentence has bad connotations here.
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I feel for you Ben. I post and run away - you stay to metaphorically 'fight'. Not that you are fighting! What erocker is saying is that your well reasoned argument is falling on deaf ears.

Fans will be fans. It's like football, hockey, baseball, tiddlywinks and chess. Kasparov for the win.
    Inceptor says thanks.
  12. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I'm sorry you felt insulted. That wasn't my intention. Marketing is marketing, they'd do anything to sell you a product. Their logic was as it follows: gamers always try to go for the best product, the 980x costs an arm and a leg, therefore it should be the best, therefore we should bench games against it. The 2500/2600 are in our price range, therefore we should bench against them for everyday tasks like encoding, archiving, etc...The thing is their logic is very sound for the average consumer who hasn't read all the reviews and thinks that price is the only thing that matters. So if anything, you should ask ntel why they're still tryig to sell you a 2 year old technology that is supposed to be inferior for 800$
  13. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    You just talk to people on the wrong day, and regret it for the rest of the day :roll::laugh:

So far, I like what I see with these benchmarks. 980x is fast enough, it isn't dated yet. No matter what theories any of you have in your minds.

The way AMD is, there going to drop the prices on the FX BD's really low like they usually do in some time. Basically AMD is doing EXACTLY what AMD does, and releasing competitive hardware at great price points. There is absolutely NO reason to be hating or stating anything about non support and bull propaganda benchmarks period. This is going to be the same situation when the AMD Phenom 940 and 920 came out. Not as fast, fast enough, fun for the gamer, cheap, competitive.

Just take it easy lets not widen a topic up so wide there's 500 ways to get mad about it.
  14. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    So it's just a good cpu
  15. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Come on but you know that's not what they thought, at all. :laugh:

Their logic was "if we compare the 980X for gaming and price, and 2600k for multi-theading (workstation tasks), Bulldozer will look a lot better than if we compare SB for gaming and price and 980X for workstation tasks".

I cannot say their logic is flawed at all, considering they have to sell, and after an inside inspection I dn't even have a problem with them doing that as much as I have a problem with people defending or rationalzing that behavior. It's as if just because we are bombarded with this marketing shit every day, everywhere, on top of having to smell it all day, we should concede and eat it too.
  16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    You just don't like it enough. Try it with some gravy. :laugh:

A drop in replacement for many users here makes it a win.

Cheap comparison a 2500 is at $219 in a box, and a motherboard to fit it is only $50.
    At $245 and $60 for a BD combo, RAM being equal it needs to outperform it by 10% on average to be worth it.

But then again, why do you care? Intel has reverted to a oh shit move by "officially' showing and supporting how to overclock. If some of the users here go thread crap in every Intel thread would that make you feel any better? That is what some feel you are doing here.
    Thassodar says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  17. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh because I'm stupid in my own way and I'm morally allowed to. :laugh:
  18. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
  19. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I prefer the immoral way, their cookies are better. ;)

Really most here commenting are probably considering it for a cheap upgrade, I am considering it as I want to try it since it is new, and with a server upgrade coming up soon I can dump it off it doesn't perform. They can read.......believe it or not.

And yes, much like drunken painted football fans there are fanbois for each side.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  20. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This has me excited! I want 3 or 4 of these to crunch! :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    If it holds up to SB in multithreading and 980x for gaming at the price they are going to be selling it regardless if it is 100 cores/threads, it's a win for the consumer.

/thread
  22. erocker

Thanks Received:
  23. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:
    x264 with XOP and FMA4 instructions getting implemented after August 31st

so, x264 1st pass and 2nd pass results are going to be inconsistent after some odd release
  24. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    lol.

I'm going to go and play with my lego bricks now. I know when my knowledge is 0% about something.
  25. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    So AMD is taking souls for CPUs now? :rolleyes:

If you don't think "Customers are idiots" then you have no sense of the corporate world or even society as a whole. If customers weren't idiots, Best Buy wouldn't be in business, lawyers wouldn't exist, and we'd actually have competent people in government.
    Damn_Smooth and Dent1 say thanks.