1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD tapes out its Bulldozer CPU architecture

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mdsx1950, Jul 19, 2010.

1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    And what is with the names of these things bulldozer and bobcat ? Man makes me think I am at a construction site . Come on can't they come up with a cool name like Tinkerbell or jasmine ?

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Using a bunch of Bobcats and Bulldozers, they will "bury" the competition. Very purposeful naming, actually.

;)

It's also why I say they are two years too late...they needed it back then, way more so than now. It will be nice to see better chips, but I don't see home users needing more computing power any time soon.

3. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it would have been better like 2 years ago but to say that the bulldozer name is good as it says they will bury the comp is well yet to be seen . They have had a very hard time trying to compete with the Q9650 let alone the core i7 . Maybe the phenom should have been called the pinto ?

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I don't make that comparison. TO me, we have 8-core Intel chips vs quad AMD(ignoring 6-core cpus from both). Of course Intel performs better...8x4 isn't exactly a decent compare...

Phenom2 @ 3ghz is actually quite comparable to Q9650, clock for clock. not 100% even, but it's more than close enough for me. I never did say the Bulldozer and Bobcat names were "fitting", however, I think that was the plan when those names were decided upon. That are quite old now...

It's an interesting compare, now that Intel is using HT again in i7/i5/i3. Seems they aren't exactly in direct competition any more...

5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    They also did this idea with the Thoroughbred... I remember that chip well, I had one in use till not too long ago then it died due to user error :banghead: :laugh:

I just like to hope that you correct with that statement (this time around for AMD).

6. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    The name Bulldozer was born the same way Hammer (K8) did. See the blockdiagram of each architecture.

7. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I just hate the names they give them is all . Phenom ? What the hell is that all about any way ? I mean a Phenomenal flop ??? What ? K8 sounds like a breakfast cereal ! K10 sounds like some school K-10 . Not at all what I would name them is all . some thing like B52 or F16 now that sounds like power ! Not bulldozer sounds to me like it is a huge power guzzler that will doze of on you . :shadedshu

8. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    No Bulldozer sounds like it can bulldoze the competition :laugh:

9. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Now I wonder, am i7 or are you?

10. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

CDdude55, erocker and DrPepper say thanks.
  11. NAVI_Z

NAVI_Z New Member

Thanks Received:
    AltecV1, Super XP and francis511 say thanks.