• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Throwing the Gauntlet at Intel for releasing biased & unreliable benches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
this thread is off the rails.. I like it

CHOO CHOO, the fanboy train is coming!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
"Out right deceiving customers" who is bold now? The way I see it and it's just a interpretation, as is what you are doing, is, that they fixed problems with consumer cards later, I'm talking 290X here btw. If you are not, then again I want proof of that, because I don't know what you mean then.

Seriously, you talk down to me, and say you are smarter, and you don't even know what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about the 290X, but since you seem to think you're so much smarter than me, go figure out what card I'm talking about yourself.

It's still not the same & not important if you can understand and/or accept it or not. I don't care about your ignorance, it doesn't change the hard fact that it is not the same as saying "1000 MHz". Yes Nvidias marketing is better, but no one here doubted that AMD is bad at marketing. Was already mentioned pages ago (by me or someone else).

And AMD's bad marketing is done to deceive. Anything with "Up To" speeds is meant to deceive. There is no getting around that fact. And if I'm "ignorant" than so is every professional reviewer, because they all believe the same thing I do. I don't think you'd be able to come up with a single respectable review of a 290/290X that calls the marketed speed the "base clock".

I'm not "trying" anything here. I explained to you what it is and what it is not. See, you are somewhat speculating on the matter, I'm not. Difference between knowledge and speculation. The problem here is that you are somewhat emotional on the matter and that makes this discussion somewhat unnerving and pointless, because you don't accept anything here, AMD is the "evil" for you and so on and so on. Emotional bullshit that is.

No, you're making stuff up to try to cover you fanboy statements. AMD doesn't even call it a base clock. So, yeah, your speculation is wrong. Professional reviewers don't call it a base clock, AMD doesn't call it a base clock. So exactly how am I the one speculating and you are the one that isn't?

Well I read some of those sites too and I think they are understanding it wrong, like you are, yes. It's no turbo. Again and again (and again and again...): IF it would be a turbo, the custom 290X's would not start at 1000 MHz or more (because it's their baseclock). They would start at 800 and go up to 1000 or more, like GPU Boost from Nvidia. Throtteling or downclocking to save energy and again clocking higher to normal speed is not the same as a turbo, because that normal speed is its base clock. Is that so hard for you to understand? Is it because you can't accept that it is something different special to AMD, that you are unable to accept it? Those website authors have that same logical problem btw.

Only a fanboy would use the word "special" to describe thermal/power throttling. Special implies it is something positive that only they do. In reality, it is something negative that Intel and nVidia both do when necessary as well.

By the stadnards of the industry, it is a turbo/boost clock. Again, I don't care what you want to try to say it is, if the card is designed to run consistently at a lower speed, and only reach that top speed for short periods of time before overheating/drawing too much power, then that upper clock is a turbo/boost clock. The base clock is the minimum clock speed the processor will always run at under load, not the maximum. The fact that 3rd party cooling allows the card cards to run at that speed all the time doesn't change this. 3rd party cooling allows Intel and nVidia processors to run at their turbo/boost speeds constantly too, that doesn't make them the base clock.

Links, quotes, proof? I don't accept your word. You are way too emotional and subjective for me to believe you.

You know, you expect me to provide links and proof, how about you? I don't just take your word. Show me proof that AMD calls 1000MHz the base clock for the 290X.

As for the proof you want: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review

Oh, what's that, they list the 1000MHz as a boost clock? Oh, and in the power and temperature page they talk about the unlisted base clock, and the 1000MHz being the turbo. So there is your proof.

Oh, and here is the architecture explanation taken pretty much directly from the AMD press kit. Funny, they go into block diagrams on how it works, but never once mention this "special feature" you talk about. You'd think if it was so special, they'd bother to mention it.

lol I used it many times, but talk more bullshit and I will keep laughing at you. :)

And you've either used it wrong or not at all every single time. But keep on laughing, ignorance is bliss.;)

1) you just said you are ignorant. Wow cool. You are an easy opponent. Smart would be to ignore NOTHING. Any information is useful.

And yet, you ignore the specs listed in the sig of every post I've made, out in plain site. And you want to say I'm ignorant because I didn't click on something to see yours, even though they have nothing to do with the issue. Ok...

2) Where did I say that AMD is better than Intel and Nvidia? Nowhere did I say that. That are just your dumb (negative) emotions that are making you fantasize these things. Something I already told you before, btw.

Umm, I already quoted them.

In defense of why AMD is better than Intel/nVidia you claim AMD has "never betrayed anyone". You have said on multiple occasions that AMD is not Intel, the context implying that they are somehow morally better than Intel because Intel is a big company that can get away with it and AMD isn't. The entire start of this argument is that you believe AMD will include the Wraith cooler with all their processors, again because Intel is big and evil and can get away with including crap coolers, but AMD is morally better and would never do that(even though they already do). Oh, and back to that, did you happen to catch the latest news? Turns out I was right, Wraith coolers will come with only the high end processors, the standard aluminum chuck coolers will come with anything 95w and lower. So I guess we can just drop the whole thing now, because in the end you were in fact wrong. History repeats itself. Even though there is nothing anyone can do to change your mind that AMD is not Intel, and they wouldn't think to include poor quality coolers with their processors, and all the processors are getting Wraith coolers, it turns out you're wrong. So seems like a good place to leave this and move on.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
Seriously, you talk down to me, and say you are smarter, and you don't even know what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about the 290X, but since you seem to think you're so much smarter than me, go figure out what card I'm talking about yourself.
Nope that I don't care enough to do. Also, you are losing this point because you are unable to provide information/proof. Seems you don't want to discuss it then. Your opinion about AMD is anyway way off, so it's unlikely you would've been right with your assumption.

And AMD's bad marketing is done to deceive. Anything with "Up To" speeds is meant to deceive. There is no getting around that fact. And if I'm "ignorant" than so is every professional reviewer, because they all believe the same thing I do. I don't think you'd be able to come up with a single respectable review of a 290/290X that calls the marketed speed the "base clock".

I don't care enough to search it up for you, but I assure you by my name that there are reviews seeing it as I do. And about marketing: you don't really understand marketing. You've proven that by now. Marketing ALWAYS is somewhat to deceive, ALWAYS. I cannot stress this enough. And basically everyone with the slightest clue about our capitalistic world knows this.

Btw. you made a very very bold statement here, so EVERY reviewer has your opinion? I want proof for that. Else you're talking stupid bullshit here.

No, you're making stuff up to try to cover you fanboy statements. AMD doesn't even call it a base clock. So, yeah, your speculation is wrong. Professional reviewers don't call it a base clock, AMD doesn't call it a base clock. So exactly how am I the one speculating and you are the one that isn't?
No I'm not making stuff up. And I don't care that you are too dumb to accept that I'm no fanboy. By now you have proven to me that your social skills are limited, as is your character, that is why you are unable to accept this.
What does AMD call it then? Proof? Again you are unable to provide information. And its silly that I always have to ask for it. You are so limited, sorry.

Only a fanboy would use the word "special" to describe thermal/power throttling. Special implies it is something positive that only they do. In reality, it is something negative that Intel and nVidia both do when necessary as well.
Only a idiot would call me a fanboy, after so much proof was provided by me that I'am not, aside from it being more than obvious without me saying anything. As I said, it's your social limitations hindering you. I really pity you by now.

By the stadnards of the industry, it is a turbo/boost clock. Again, I don't care what you want to try to say it is, if the card is designed to run consistently at a lower speed, and only reach that top speed for short periods of time before overheating/drawing too much power, then that upper clock is a turbo/boost clock. The base clock is the minimum clock speed the processor will always run at under load, not the maximum. The fact that 3rd party cooling allows the card cards to run at that speed all the time doesn't change this. 3rd party cooling allows Intel and nVidia processors to run at their turbo/boost speeds constantly too, that doesn't make them the base clock.
I discussed this with a friend of mine who is way more smart than you ever will be, and he shares my opinion, funny enough - and I didn't go the moral or emotional road for him saying the same as I do.
I already explained why it's no Turbo and I won't do it again, just because you are ignorant or too dumb. Sorry.

Edit: A turbo means additional speed, AMD graphics processors work at less speed, or base speed - so they have no turbo. AMD CPUs have Turbos like Intel / Nvidia ones.

Intel Turbo Boost (Wiki):
"Intel Turbo Boost is a technology implemented by Intel in certain versions of its processors that enables the processor to run above its base operating frequency via dynamic control of the processor's clock rate."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

Nvidia GPU Boost (from Wiki):
"GPU Boost is a new feature which is roughly analogous to turbo boosting of a CPU. The GPU is always guaranteed to run at a minimum clock speed, referred to as the "base clock". This clock speed is set to the level which will ensure that the GPU stays within TDP specifications, even at maximum loads.[6] When loads are lower, however, there is room for the clock speed to be increased without exceeding the TDP. In these scenarios, GPU Boost will gradually increase the clock speed in steps, until the GPU reaches a predefined power target (which is 170W by default).[7] By taking this approach, the GPU will ramp its clock up or down dynamically, so that it is providing the maximum amount of speed possible while remaining within TDP specifications."

Clearly not the same tech AMD uses. AMD has no turbo.

Also for the funs of laughing at you, because you don't know what a turbo is (Wiki: Turbocharger):
"A turbocharger, or turbo (colloquialism), from Greek "τύρβη" ("wake"),[1] (also from Latin "turbo" ("spinning top"),[2]) is a turbine-driven forced induction device that increases an internal combustion engine's efficiency and power output by forcing extra air into the combustion chamber."

Also something a AMD GPU is not doing, because all it does is downclocking, not clocking higher. Also if a Fury X would have a turbo, it would not always run on 1050 MHz when stressed. It really does that, because it's the graphics cards base clock.

You know, you expect me to provide links and proof, how about you? I don't just take your word. Show me proof that AMD calls 1000MHz the base clock for the 290X.

I don't need to. Every shop is doing it. TPU is doing it too.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/
Good enough for me. But of course you will again be unable to understand or accept it. Hint: they use the base clocks there, even if it is not explicitly written down. But as this discussion is more about your ego than it is about the matter itself, you naturally won't accept my point again.

As for the proof you want: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review

Oh, what's that, they list the 1000MHz as a boost clock? Oh, and in the power and temperature page they talk about the unlisted base clock, and the 1000MHz being the turbo. So there is your proof.

TPU > anandtech. Me > you.

Oh, and here is the architecture explanation taken pretty much directly from the AMD press kit. Funny, they go into block diagrams on how it works, but never once mention this "special feature" you talk about. You'd think if it was so special, they'd bother to mention it.

You're really going crazy because of that word "special" aren't you? Sorry bro, but get a life.

And you've either used it wrong or not at all every single time. But keep on laughing, ignorance is bliss.;)
I don't care much if a limited / ignorant person like yourself is calling me ignorant. You're in no position to criticize me.

And yet, you ignore the specs listed in the sig of every post I've made, out in plain site. And you want to say I'm ignorant because I didn't click on something to see yours, even though they have nothing to do with the issue. Ok...
You are more likely ignorant because of other things. And they had very well to do with the issue.

Umm, I already quoted them.

In defense of why AMD is better than Intel/nVidia you claim AMD has "never betrayed anyone". You have said on multiple occasions that AMD is not Intel, the context implying that they are somehow morally better than Intel because Intel is a big company that can get away with it and AMD isn't. The entire start of this argument is that you believe AMD will include the Wraith cooler with all their processors, again because Intel is big and evil and can get away with including crap coolers, but AMD is morally better and would never do that(even though they already do). Oh, and back to that, did you happen to catch the latest news? Turns out I was right, Wraith coolers will come with only the high end processors, the standard aluminum chuck coolers will come with anything 95w and lower. So I guess we can just drop the whole thing now, because in the end you were in fact wrong. History repeats itself. Even though there is nothing anyone can do to change your mind that AMD is not Intel, and they wouldn't think to include poor quality coolers with their processors, and all the processors are getting Wraith coolers, it turns out you're wrong. So seems like a good place to leave this and move on.
The point why I said that they "never betrayed anyone" was already discussed. I asked for counter-proof of that, you didn't provide. So you lose that point too. And AMD in fact is not Intel, even a baby would understand this, but not you. Seems you are somewhat mislead. And please keep thinking you are winning anything here, I'm very amused. If you want to end the discussion, don't answer, or accept my points. Either way, you are not in a position to dictate anything here as you are still pretty wrong with your assumptions.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
To the whole community.

I am really sorry i played a part in opening this thread.

It is becoming destructive and petty and i think it should be closed.

I promise i will not do it again.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
To the whole community.

I am really sorry i played a part in opening this thread.

It is becoming destructive and petty and i think it should be closed.

I promise i will not do it again.
It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself.

im not....i am blaming you and others.
Take it to PM and dont make us all look like a bunch of pricks.

It is a nonsense argument which neither "party" will resolve,. The AMD/INTEL debate is never a good one.

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
im not....i am blaming you and others.
Take it to PM and dont make us all look like a bunch of pricks.

It is a nonsense argument which neither "party" will resolve,. The AMD/INTEL debate is never a good one.
It's more about "what is a turbo" and what not, and is AMD betraying yes or no.

I don't care about "sides" here. But I do care about the truth. And that is all I'm interested in.

Edit: I would continue this in a PM if newtekie accepts and I welcome any moderator shutting this off. This discussion isn't going anywhere I guess, so...

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502