• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Graphics going under?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI Gaming M7 AC
Cooling AlphaCool Eisbaer 360
Memory G. Skill Trident X DDR4 8GBx2 (16 GB) 4266mhz dimms
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Twin Frozr GTX 1080 Ti
Storage 512GB Samsung 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive,500 GB Samsung 860 EVO ssd, 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Samsung 28 inch 4k Freesync monitor
Case ThermalTake V71 Full tower gaming case
Power Supply Corsair 1200 watt HX Platinum PSU
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Das tactile mechanical gaming keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 15 64 bit Open GL 146.7 FPS Cinebench 15 CPU 1958 at 4.25 GHZ Priority set to real-time
you have been more than fair. Thank you.

Storage 512GB Samsung 960 EVO M2 NVMe drive,500 GB Samsung 860 EVO ssd, 1 TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench 15 64 bit Open GL 146.7 FPS Cinebench 15 CPU 1958 at 4.25 GHZ Priority set to real-time
Apple could make the most use of AMD of any possible investor/merger partner/buyer.

AMD already has more experience with fusing GPUs and CPUs than any other company in the world, and that's what Apple needs to do to differentiate their ARM designs from others. AMD, with Apple's massive cash pile, could also once and for all vanquish Intel in x86 processor design - they'd actually have a LARGER R&D budget than Intel! And even if Intel could somehow revoke the x86 processor license, a merged AMD/Apple juggernaut would simply design 64 bit ARM-based cpus. (Not to mention, Apple would also get Jim Keller back!) Basically, Apple could sew up the entire computing gamut from the smallest smart phone to the world's fastest x86/GPU-accelerated supercomputers. But because this would finally once and for all guarantee Apple's final victory over Microsoft, Intel, Google and Samsung, and vindicate the perceived wrongs perpetrated against Steve Jobs, and cement Apple's dominance as the world's technological overlord for at least an entire generation, and guarantee that the iconic Apple logo would be visible on most of the devices, tablets, notebooks, desktops, and supercomputers we'll see in everyday life.... it probably won't happen! Still, it would be the smartest 'check-mate' move for Apple to make (they could buy AMD with pocket change right now and barely feel it) and certainly, Rory Read's clearing of the decks (layoffs to thin the company out) could be congruent with a preparation for a merger...

Really, my favourite scenario is an AMD/nVidia merger, so that Jen Hsun and the AMD team can take the fight directly to Intel using Steamroller x86 cores and AMD/nVidia optimized graphics cards/APUs. This would be the most dramatic and satisfying scenario for AMD. nVidia has enough money in cash to properly finance the next generation of x86 processor cores (as well as next gen ARM/fusion designs). Finally (and yes, I'm aware of the price implications of this), a combined AMD/nVidia would have a lock on the dedicated graphics card market, which would give them the money to finance their future together against Intel and other opponents.

As much as I have had issues with nVidia over the years, I see this as dramatically better than an AMD bankruptcy.

Sounds interesting , but I do NOT want another insidious monopolist to be created. I would like an invigorated AMD with capital from Apple and Samsung to remain an independent entity. perhaps alliances , yes but not dependence.

System Name Current Rig
Processor Intel 12700K@5.1GHz
Motherboard MSI Pro Z790-P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Memory 2x16GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 6800 16GB
Storage 1TB SSD
Case Cooler Master Storm Striker
Power Supply Antec True Power 750w
Keyboard IBM Model 'M"
But anubis44, Intel still has better engineers for x86 designs. Money means something, but not everything. Intel has been buying the best and brightest for quite some time now. Are you saying they would somehow be able to get them from Intel by paying them ridiculous sums of money? I would imagine most enter a lengthy contract that would have to be bought out. Also remember Apple is focused on the emerging market and not x86 desktops. Perhaps you are saying ARM mini-desktops?

I could see Apple buy it just for patent rape of other companies though.

You're right that Intel does have formidable engineers. No question about that.

However, AMD still has a few superstars, and just recently got back probably the single best x86 processor engineer in the world: Jim Keller. In addition, AMD has made the right move and made Keller 'Chief Architect, Microprocessor Cores':

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/JimKellerJoinsAMD-2012aug01.aspx

This guy designed the AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron chips back in 2003-2005. He has now been given essentially all the resources of AMD placed at his disposal. He is free to design whatever he likes and to hire whomever he wants. It's true AMD has less money and fewer resources than Intel, but let's be serious here. We are still talking about a multi-billion dollar company, and I don't think Mr. Keller's request to bring on board whoever he needs to round out his CPU design team will be turned down. If you'll excuse the analogy, it's a little bit like Luke Skywalker joining the Rebel Alliance. Yes, he's one guy, but... no kidding, if you only had pick for your x86 CPU team, he's the number one draft pick.

The forces arrayed against AMD may be formidable, but a few super-brilliant engineers like Keller can change the game, even against a 'galactic empire' like Intel, as we've already seen briefly in 2003-2006. I for one would love to see a repeat performance!

Software Windows 10 Pro
You're right that Intel does have formidable engineers. No question about that.

However, AMD still has a few superstars, and just recently got back probably the single best x86 processor engineer in the world: Jim Keller. In addition, AMD has made the right move and made Keller 'Chief Architect, Microprocessor Cores':

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/JimKellerJoinsAMD-2012aug01.aspx

This guy designed the AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron chips back in 2003-2005. He has now been given essentially all the resources of AMD placed at his disposal. He is free to design whatever he likes and to hire whomever he wants. It's true AMD has less money and fewer resources than Intel, but let's be serious here. We are still talking about a multi-billion dollar company, and I don't think Mr. Keller's request to bring on board whoever he needs to round out his CPU design team will be turned down. If you'll excuse the analogy, it's a little bit like Luke Skywalker joining the Rebel Alliance. Yes, he's one guy, but... no kidding, if you only had pick for your x86 CPU team, he's the number one draft pick.

The forces arrayed against AMD may be formidable, but a few super-brilliant engineers like Keller can change the game, even against a 'galactic empire' like Intel, as we've already seen briefly in 2003-2006. I for one would love to see a repeat performance!

Extremely interesting and thought provoking post. This certainly gives reason for optimism
and puts to rest the thread "AMD throws in the towel"