1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Graphics going under?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Super XP, Oct 13, 2012.

1. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    you have been more than fair. Thank you.

2. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Sounds interesting , but I do NOT want another insidious monopolist to be created. I would like an invigorated AMD with capital from Apple and Samsung to remain an independent entity. perhaps alliances , yes but not dependence.

3. anubis44

anubis44

Thanks Received:
    You're right that Intel does have formidable engineers. No question about that.

However, AMD still has a few superstars, and just recently got back probably the single best x86 processor engineer in the world: Jim Keller. In addition, AMD has made the right move and made Keller 'Chief Architect, Microprocessor Cores':

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/JimKellerJoinsAMD-2012aug01.aspx

This guy designed the AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron chips back in 2003-2005. He has now been given essentially all the resources of AMD placed at his disposal. He is free to design whatever he likes and to hire whomever he wants. It's true AMD has less money and fewer resources than Intel, but let's be serious here. We are still talking about a multi-billion dollar company, and I don't think Mr. Keller's request to bring on board whoever he needs to round out his CPU design team will be turned down. If you'll excuse the analogy, it's a little bit like Luke Skywalker joining the Rebel Alliance. Yes, he's one guy, but... no kidding, if you only had pick for your x86 CPU team, he's the number one draft pick.

The forces arrayed against AMD may be formidable, but a few super-brilliant engineers like Keller can change the game, even against a 'galactic empire' like Intel, as we've already seen briefly in 2003-2006. I for one would love to see a repeat performance!

os2wiz says thanks.
  4. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    Extremely interesting and thought provoking post. This certainly gives reason for optimism
    and puts to rest the thread "AMD throws in the towel"