1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Graphics going under?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Super XP, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    If only every company was like that. The US has this greed complex where the rich always want more and the people who are just getting by struggle and work hard just to make ends meat. This drives me up a wall as well and it is one of the reasons why I enjoy working where I do. I work for a online high school as a System Admin and Developer and I'm the only full-time system admin/developer. (My boss, the CIO is actually only part time. He is finishing up his masters in philosophy, but we just had to go through the process to renew our charter as a charter school in the state of New Hampshire. When the charter renewal committee came in we had to give them access to all of our records and get interviewed by them. In the end we got our renewal without much effort. They also said that VLACS (where I work,) felt less like a workplace and more like a family.

With that said, VLACS has been constantly growing for the last 5 years since the institution was started and has dropped yet. I've been here for 4 years, don't get paid nearly as much as other System Admins and Developers, but you know what? I get provided a Mac laptop (right now I have a 13" Macbook Air with an Ivy Bridge i5,) I get to work from home half of the week, and the admin chain is small enough where my boss' boss is the end of the food chain.

The other day I found that I was struggling with how much I was getting paid so I took my boss aside and told him that I wanted more. He looked at me and smiled and said, "For the last 2 years I've been vouching for you to get a higher pay." Did they give me exactly what I wanted? No. Did they help me enough to enable me to support both my wife and daughter off my own income. Yes.

That is why big business blows, it doesn't work that way, people get stressed out, and the people who "can't be bothered" with being stressed out takes it out on the people that they don't even know to make their own life better. Where I work, everyone knows everyone, and losing anyone is felt throughout the institution.

I think this is the case for AMD, the problem is that management doesn't understand how much it is harming the institution because they're still living a cushy lifestyle with absolutely no change with how they conduct their lives. While AMD engineers get laid off, benefits cut, and left upstream without a paddle even though they worked hard and did good work.

That is what pisses me off and capitalism will fail for that simple reason. We need a Swedes to tell us how awesome that a generous social welfare state is and how when everyone does well, the country does well.
  2. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say Intel rather invested in it.
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    Fact: you don't know what you've got till its gone.

I hold a small hope that the engineers who do get given the boot will be able to turn the situation around by forming a new company. with 20-30% of the workforce going mainly aimed at designers and engineers, Im sure they can gather enough people to make the whole thing work.

pull together a team of maybe 100-300 people, put all their ideas on the table. any designs that were good, that could have been used by AMD but didnt get the greenlight. then take what they have to some investors and see if they can get some capital to move the ball forward.

But i think that any oldskool ATi employees could possibly hold a lot of influence and sway some of the investors.

30% = hope, 70% = Passion (for doing the thing they love)
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That's a lot of investment resources to start from scratch. Don't forget, AMD still holds the patents and rights on all of ATi's hardware. It would be a hell of an undertaking and you know what? I would support it 100%. :rockout:
  5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    If some ex-Nokia staff managed to do the exact same thing and come out with a new handset that was based off designs that werent used by Nokia then im sure they could do the same. There has to be loads of ideas or schematics that someone has drawn up but didnt take to the board meeting to be discussed and put into production. engineers/designers don't just 'turn off' when they get home, they might at home but that doesnt mean they wont take pen to paper and come out with something thats totally just awesome.

who knows?? maybe they took the design to the board meeting and the CEO just laughed and dismissed his idea as it might of taken a complete redesign of the current architectures to work and then some.
  6. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I always make it a point to distinguish between Capitalism and American Capitalism for that exact reason. The way the US operates is completely absurd. But I am glad you have a great job that you love and is willing to provide for you and your family as needed. Most people don't even have that.

As for a new competitor in the GPU space, I have severe doubts, but there have definitely historically been companies that start small and combine some of the best talent with the will to make an exceptional product, and the results have been fantastic.
  7. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Like or not, I think SoC are the future, and more probabily ARM ones. That if not embeeded systems.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    It's not necessarily that they didn't have the resources to buy ATI..... If they would've bought ATI just to buy ATI things would've been fine. However they bought ATI to work on their CPU/GPU integration among other things.
    In the end it was a risky business move and it failed. Businesses do things like that all the time.... and it just wasn't the choice of them buying ATI that made AMD fail. It was several bad business moves over the past few years that made AMD fail.

But that is what you do in business...... take risks!!..... some work out.... other end like this.
  9. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Good point, but there a difference between 2 types of capitalism.

Vulture Capitalism = Government deregulation for the rich so they can exploit the system and get richer while the middle class gets destroyed.
    Capitalism = If ran properly can help list the middleclass and get the poor into middleclass status while the rich continue to live comfortable.
    Phusius and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  10. os2wiz

os2wiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    If water was wine it would make us all happily drunk. Water is not wine and capitalism naturally gravitates towards monopoly and tyrannical Draconian exploitation of the working class. There is no middle class. There is a petty bourgeoisie that represents small business , shop-keepers who are wannabee capitalists that mostly fail in their enterprise and are driven down into poverty. Economies of scale require capital and that capital concentrates more and more in fewer hands. The driving force is the maximizing of profit.
    Capital Volume I. Karl Marx. The clarity with which this volume utterly and definitively defines the crisis which is still unfolding should be read by ALL. It is undeniable truth that capitalism is its own gravedigger

We need to finish the task by kicking its rotting carcass into its own grave and building an egalitarian world for all those who toil.There is not one ill in the world that is not either a product of capitalism or made vey much worse by capitalism. From malnutrition and starvation in spite of great agricultural land lying fallow and food by the hundreds of metric tons being thrown away to mass unemployment,war, racism, disease and pestilence abounding due to allocation of resources solely for profit instead of for human need.This will all be resolved in the coming generation by world revolution and working class seizure of power.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  11. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    AMD should have focused more on desktop CPU and mobile (growing market) and not wasted the money with purchasing ATI then they would have been better off.
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Two ways to define egalitarianism. It is defined either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political, economic, social, and civil rights or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people or the decentralization of power.

I could be considered an egalitarian because I feel the government has grown too strong and desire to decentralize it. Governments always act in their best interests and slowly drift towards tyrannical draconian exploitation of everyone. You must be of the first definition. You must desire a revolution to take over the government and fix all the problems with force. Would all the wrongs be fixed though? No. Not even the strongest of governments can fix the problems of the worlds no matter what policies they use. You can't end unemployment by saying "Here you go, have a job." It just doesn't work for economic reasons. You can't just say "You will stop being a racist!" because it wont work. You can't stop racism at gunpoint.

We can agree on many problems in our society today. Our monetary, fiscal, and economic policies are so flawed that it does not even have a real foundation to stand on. That needs to be reformed. There are many social issues. Those need to be changed by society not government.

You speak of revolution. I talk with people all over the political spectrum. The anarcho capitalists I talk to speak of revolution also. Both are fringes in the political sphere and only small parts of the whole.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. os2wiz

os2wiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't condescend to marginalize me.Bold leadership with a vision based on well-grounded ideas and practice is always in a class society going to be found in small number. When they through dedication and base-building with those we work and live with over time find traction for their ideas then they can grow from small to large in almost an exponential fashion. That is quantity into quality , a law of dialectics. In your terms call it a quantum leap. It is part of the process of change in nature and in human society as well. We are off topic so I suggest we let this discussion termiinate before moderation steps in.
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    So now you think we are off topic. Instead of asking to discuss this via pm I will pm you.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    True, besides maintaning those huge divisions is costly.
  16. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    without ATi aquistion AMD would have been dead in the water in the mobile space, It is because of the ATi acquisition that they are still viable in that segment to begin with. Desktops are a shrinking market or soon to be so AMD in theory made the right move in aquiring ATi for what they are trying to do. Should AMD manage to drop power consumption ever further they could enter smartphone market where they would have the edge in GPU power compared to most other companies. Regardless AMD by themselves would be in just a bad of shape without ATi as they are with them Its a rather moot point. Bulldozer has been talked about since 2004 or 2005 long before AMD acquired ATi so in that regard the chip is a fail today buying ATi didnt change that lol.
    Chevalr1c and ensabrenoir say thanks.
  17. Morrison5891

Morrison5891 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Totally agree!
  18. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:
    2% of the market is enthusiasts. AMD's thought is in the right direction buut it may be too late. They bring in too much revenue to go by the wayside. A bigger entity will scoop them up soon like Microsoft. That is my prediction.
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Then we might get Amd optimized hardware...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:
    What about Apple?
  21. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I hope not, or it's no more buying AMD for me if Apple buys them.
  22. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lame... :p
  23. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    way to go off topic. Didn't know this thread said "Political Convention!". I feel like you just went online and found something "smart" sounding and copied and pasted it.
  24. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Why the fuck would AMD want to do this? I just do not get it! They are the best video card GPU makers in the world! TO see AMD strip them like this or even cut the work force of ATI is more than a shame! It is a reflection of just where AMD is going. It is a reflection of how fucked up the CEO's of AMD really are! Pure FUCKING DIPSHITTERY! IMHO! If I were AMD I would be pumping up the video card sector and cranking up R&D! What the hell???!!!
  25. anubis44

anubis44

Thanks Received:
    Hey! This is a casual chat forum. No need to shower us with such complex rhetoric!

:roll:
    Phusius says thanks.