1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asus M5A78L-M

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by KNAN2012, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Johan45

Johan45

Thanks Received:
    Memtest doesn't require the OS. You use a bootable disc. It runs seperately. This will point to the memory being the culprit or something else. You could even test them singley and the different slots if necessary
  2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Just because the ram boots with 2G does not mean the board will boot with all slots populated. I really don't understand what you do not get. Your ram is surely not on the vendor approved list and is probably not compatable with the board. The problem is when you use all the sticks. Go get some approved ram that is listed on the QVL in the boards specs on manufcturers website.
  3. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    i just realised youre using the FX4100, ya basically got my second rig there.

you want memtest 86+ rc1 - usb bootable installer. its pretty much plug n play. F11 at boot.

its the best and recognises all sorts, especially on that board. i would find a link but im off to gym.

its odd ive had a mix of ram in mine and boots on auto settings. sometimes when it gets funny i just pull the battery out for a bit.

memtest will test IMC and memory, could be a combo tbh.

but ive always said volts. its called something like memory overvoltage or dram overvoltage may even be vddr overvoltage. put in 1.6v

@drdeath - none of the ram ive had in mine was on the list?!

EDIT: forgot my coffee was still here lol

http://www.memtest.org/download/beta...500rc1.usb.exe
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    D1nky, I have talked with board manufacturers. Most memory not on the QVL list works fine but some does not. In cases of budget ram, manufacturers don't waste their time testing it to make sure it is compatable. In this case, seeing the sticks work individual but not teamed up leads me to believe the ram is incompatable. Getting a cheap set like Kingston Hyper X 1600MHz is probably the call here. When I reviewed boards and ran into compatability issues, I always went to my hyper X modules and never had a problem and I have used boards that did have compatability issues at times.
  5. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i would get some branded corsair or gskill ram.

they cost literally the same as unbranded ones. atleast here.

i dont think your ram is supported my asus.
  6. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Corsair and GSkill are fine but like mentioned, when I had boards that had memory problems, you cannot go wrong with Hyper X modules...
  7. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I too attest to Kingston HyperX ram, it's on everyone's list as a qualified ram.
  8. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ i get your point.

just seems odd, but hey thats hardware i suppose.
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    corsair, g.skill, kingston, transcend, hynix, zion are all supported.

i mentioned the first two as they are usually a enthusiasts.