1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS rumored to buy ASRock motherboard division

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by HammerON, Oct 3, 2012.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I really missed my ASRock P55 Extreme. The only reason I sold it was cause I needed the money and my friend corrupted the bios so i sold it to buck nasty who had a dead board so he switched the bioses and BAM! back in action. It is now owned by ION in the WCG thread and he crunchs I7-870.

That board was the ONLY board that would unlock the multiplier of my X3430 and OC to 4.2Ghz stable. every other board we tested that chip in would struggle to keep 4Ghz stable.

Easy Rhino says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    It's a solid board, to be sure. It's actually an i7-860 on it, and I'm running a really mild OC to 3.4GHz. It came from Buck Nasty at 3.9GHz, but was unstable, so I backed it down. Maybe I'll push it higher, but I do appreciate the stability on it.

I'd say it's every bit as good as my Asus ROG board :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I've had experience with three ASRock boards. On two of them, the audio stopped working after about a year and the one I have now has been RMA'd 2wice in the last six months.

Although, it seems to be working well now, all these problems have left a bad taste in my mouth. (<<<no jokes please..:))

4. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    wow.... Yes please tell me more about which company has more money... who cares. Like I said before Asrock is the #2 mobo maker, so i dont see many "benefits" from being bought out by the top maker (whos quality is suspect to say the least, gogo awesome Asus engineers)

Also as one who has stated that he's been using Asus since 1999, your vision is skewed as you have nothnig to reference other than your experiences with Asus. I have used Asus and MSI for P4 era stuff and Gigabyte for 775 and Asrock for AM2+ and 1155. I, at least, have experienced other companies boards for various sockets so your argument is still invalid.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Im not reading all this but i can say that i am very happy with my asrock board and am glad i got it rather than an asus or gigabyte or msi. Worked out the box with no problems at all unlike some of the old asus and gigabyte boards i have owned.
    All in all each there own.

6. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have put different kind of mobos into people's computers when their current mobo died or i built them a whole computer.can't say if those mobos are good or not as i don't use them daily

7. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    AlienISGOD don't worry about mtosev he is just a ASUS fanboy you can tell for one he hasen't said anything to back up his claim of ASrock benefiting (Which they won't if this happens i think they will just be shoved under the rug and left to rot). Two all he says is ASUS is the best at this ASUS is the best at that. and three thats all he has owned was ASUS mobos. He can't even tell if a ECS board is better or worse cuz he has never used them. Me personally i have used almost every mobo brand out there and for me i have to say the most stable and most reliable out of the bunch was ASRock and Gigabyte.

de.das.dude and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  8. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I have all Asus Rampage motherboards except the REIII and they still all work without an issue, running overclocks since day one by the way.
    I don't know if I got lucky or else but imho Asus is a solid motherboard maker especially on RoG parts.

9. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Theres no denying Asus's effort and quality in the high end/enthusiast market.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    I had an AsRock Board Socket 478 along with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz CPU back in 2005 when they were shitty but i loved it tho it had major BIOS issues that had me removing the BIOS chip every now and then to make it work but i loved it still. AsRock should not sellout

Then in 2006 i found a new home i went to Intel Motherboards and never come back to any other brand, I know for a fact that Intel is not the best motherboard vendor out there, but they have made me happy ever since 2006 till now,...

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Really? Why?

I find that their high-end boards overclock like none other. If you took ASRock's VRM designs, ASUS memory tweaking, and my own color designs, you'd have some killer products, as long as they can collaborate without incident.

12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I don't think so at all. Asrock have come a long way and I don't think Asus will just throw that away.

13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    yeah "better engineers" thats why Asus boards as of late have been very mediocre in terms of performance, and prices that do not match that performance. You can get a Biostar/ASrock board for $150 that will do just as well if not better then a Asus board that costs $275. Granted it won't have as many features, but itll be jsut as stable and overclock similarly.

This Asrock board is the best board Ive owned. Granted ove only owned about 3-4 boards and one of them was the Evga X58 Classified.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  14. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Had a few ASUS motherboards, with one dying on me due to failed memory controller.
    It was a 680i....need I say more.

The current ASUS board I have runs fine.

My Brother has had issues with a couple of ASUS boards.
    One where the NB heatsink detached due to one of the pins popping out and audio stopped working in the latest one.

Rumors are rumors, none the less AsRock appear to have been doing a good job with their board at the moment, at least with their P67 and Z68 higher end boards as far as I know.

15. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Ya because youre replacing their crap all the time

if Asrock were to be bought out they wont exist, the would be just like they were in 2009 if anything.

AsRock has benefitted by being Released in 2010, and Asus is just so damn worried they will lose their position

for AMD, 890FX, 970, 990, A75, A85.

16. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    I think the split left Asrock with the better design team and now Asus design is running thin and yes people are finally catching on to their (Asus') bullshit so they are scared of losing market shares ;)

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i feel most of what was good about Abit and DFI moved to AsRock.

18. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Those guys had some great ideas back in the day! Shame Asus killed them with their marketing :(

Did those guys move over to Asrock?

19. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i suspect thats what happened, since all board makers are in Asia anyway

m1dg3t says thanks.
  20. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    I am curious did the sale go through or no?

I cant seem to find anything on the net after the little rumor, except on and around the date, of this possibly happening. But no confirmation of a yes or no anywhere.

21. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    RoG headsets are good.... I use em for music, movies, and games and they're good all around cans. As for mobos I have two 2008 year ones from them but I switched to Asrock becuase they are cheaper and have gotten better reviews then Asus has lately for mobos.

22. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Maybe Asus needs their lean business model so they can compete in the $50-$120 segment, a market they now realize makes up a sizable chunk of private system builder's choices in this bleak economic landscape. Anyone looking to build a system on a tight budget can't afford to spend $140 on a stripped-down basic board. I always go with Asus because all things considered, if you get a good one, you get the best user experience. So far I've been lucky, never had to deal with Asus customer support nightmare, or lose my money outright because of bent socket pins. Others apparently are not so lucky, but from my experience reading hundreds of reviews, Asrock seems to be the DOA champ, as well as the current title holder for buggiest drivers and software, and just generally seems to be good for about a 50/50 chance of getting screwed in some way. I hope they remain independent, though, because they seem to be improving lately, while Asus quality is definitely on the decline. All competition is good, and monopolies produce mediocre products because they can.

23. ruff0r

ruff0r

Thanks Received:
    You mean the Asus Striker Extrem which still runs perfectly oc´ed fine @ daily usage?

Most boards i have to replace for costumers are AsRock boards but then on the other hand they are the most bought Price/performance is i would say pretty good.

For Asus you can say every 3 AsRock boards i replace i replace 1 Asus board.

24. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Relax guys. ASRock is still technically owned by Asustek. They spun ASROck off many years ago to Pegatron which is owned by Asustek. This news is months old and all Asus is doing is re acquiring the company and buying market share to their name if the company is Asus and ASRock together. IMO, this is not a good move. Gigabyte and namely MSI could benefit large from the move. Gigabyte moves to number 2 if this happens and MSI number 3 if the 2 companies are 1 entity. The main reason I feel Asus is making the potential move is the dwindling desktop market and they see less market share in the future. I cannot see ASROck and Asus making competitive boards and the various price levels and spiting the market. perhaps, Asus will be the high end and ASRock low?

25. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    If this deal happens it will be a sad day.