• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Baldur's Gate 3

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Personally I also sort of want to have this, because of traps. <click to Move over there><the last character spots a trap><every single part member falls into trap because they are Moving Over There, looses like 15HP each> Or maybe I just want auto pause.
Oh yeah the game has a lot of that. Its pretty shitty that way. You have to be thinking in turn based mode, in a real time environment. The game has this 'go turn based' mode. But it doesn't really connect well.

Also, when you DO want to just run through a danger with the party... oh man. Most annoying thing ever, constant auto pause when someone gets damaged, and if you select the whole party to move, only the character you have under main selection will actually move through the danger. And then, you select another character but didn't disconnect your entire party, and the whole bunch runs back again. Its designed really badly.

after actually playing it for a relevant amount of time, all i can say is ...
d&d rules make for a fucking godawful game. it's supposed to be a hilarious social activity, which kinda precludes it from being a good game. there's just too much too egregious rng for no particular reason.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
after actually playing it for a relevant amount of time, all i can say is ...
d&d rules make for a fucking godawful game. it's supposed to be a hilarious social activity, which kinda precludes it from being a good game. there's just too much too egregious rng for no particular reason.
Hehe yeah I can't completely disagree. Still though, going back to 3.5e... or 4e... nope. These 5e rules are definitely closer to a game than the older versions. There the game was figuring out the rules proper, more so than playing them. And especially figuring out the myriad of ways to break the rules entirely or exploit your multiclass combo to the max. The execution then.. godawful. Combat in BG1/2 is similarly dreadful. You can get through it. But man what a slog. The only thing carrying it to me is the immersion of it. Controlling that party that you can tailor to your wishes.

Compared to that past I think BG3 does a damn fine job. There's a lot more interactivity and logical pacing to the combat system, and you can still get stupid things going on.

i mean ... the thing is just; an uh system designed to be a good game tends to be a godawful social activity as their end-goals are kinda diametrically opposed to one another (there's a reason why most casual mtg has flocked to edh, for instance).
and while bg3 does have a multiplayer option for y'all social-activity-needs i very much doubt this is something the vast majority of all players will even touch. i feel like they should've either completely given up on making (yet another) d&d game adaptation, or have had an option uh streamlining far more rng than their karmic dice
(personally, i am of the opinion that bg3 tries to be a turn-based repost of dao w/ some d&d sprinkled in; but quite honestly the OG dao makes for a far better game than bg3 so ...)

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
i mean ... the thing is just; an uh system designed to be a good game tends to be a godawful social activity as their end-goals are kinda diametrically opposed to one another (there's a reason why most casual mtg has flocked to edh, for instance).
and while bg3 does have a multiplayer option for y'all social-activity-needs i very much doubt this is something the vast majority of all players will even touch. i feel like they should've either completely given up on making (yet another) d&d game adaptation, or have had an option uh streamlining far more rng than their karmic dice
(personally, i am of the opinion that bg3 tries to be a turn-based repost of dao w/ some d&d sprinkled in; but quite honestly the OG dao makes for a far better game than bg3 so ...)

I find the novelty of the RNG dice rolling to get dull (and this coming from a guy that still plays a MUD that is basically a giant RNG system). I find as the story progresses and you get further and further into the game I'm seeing roll requirements to be into the mid 20s to achieve a successful roll, making them nearly impossible (depending on your party) to successfully get that number outside of a natural 20. I know I can stack the party to get some one with high charisma and focus on persuasion skills, but at that point you can pretty much control all conversations and even make some people take themselves out.

I've started a couple of different play throughs on my own and I've progressed them up to the point my brother and my coop game is at, I've done this with different characters/builds on my playthroughs. What I can tell you is that the game bores me after a couple of playthroughs. I had more fun with D:OS2 - I think the combat is better and a couple of the characters are done better, but that's just me.

A handful of people that I know that own the game they all play coop with others - be it a friend, a spouse or even a sibling (like myself, play coop with my brother). I'm sure a lot more people play coop than you'd think.

Don't feel bad if you don't really like the gameplay. As I said before, the novelty does wear off and I get tired of the dice rolling.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I find the novelty of the RNG dice rolling to get dull (and this coming from a guy that still plays a MUD that is basically a giant RNG system). I find as the story progresses and you get further and further into the game I'm seeing roll requirements to be into the mid 20s to achieve a successful roll, making them nearly impossible (depending on your party) to successfully get that number outside of a natural 20. I know I can stack the party to get some one with high charisma and focus on persuasion skills, but at that point you can pretty much control all conversations and even make some people take themselves out.

I've started a couple of different play throughs on my own and I've progressed them up to the point my brother and my coop game is at, I've done this with different characters/builds on my playthroughs. What I can tell you is that the game bores me after a couple of playthroughs. I had more fun with D:OS2 - I think the combat is better and a couple of the characters are done better, but that's just me.

A handful of people that I know that own the game they all play coop with others - be it a friend, a spouse or even a sibling (like myself, play coop with my brother). I'm sure a lot more people play coop than you'd think.

Don't feel bad if you don't really like the gameplay. As I said before, the novelty does wear off and I get tired of the dice rolling.
DOS:2 Fane is one of my alltime favorite RPG characters.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

Having played through it now I can't disagree entirely, though DOS2 was also not really much of a multi replay affair to me. I did do it twice but the runs were quite similar, just with a different party. But yeah, BG3; it offers you the two paths at the first act right... I found myself doing both, because why on earth would I pass on valuable loot, XP and quest lines? There's a few more of those things - there being a 'get it all' solution to be found and then all the little changes in dialogue that you can enter into don't quite matter so much anymore. But damn, there are a lot of choices in the game. You can definitely get a lot out of multiple playthroughs. The second play I completed the game; the first I progressed up to act 3. There was so much I did differently - and so many hidden stuff I discovered that I was totally oblivious of the first time.

Its funny seeing all the complaints about the rolls. They didn't bother me. I do also play pen and paper D&D, so maybe that swings things into the favor of rolling D20s. I liked it. Its easy to nudge those rolls into your favor, but yeah, you have to stop and think about it for a second. But about halfway through the game, its really becoming simple to win everything.. provided you build the right party. Another thing is also, that you really don't have to win all the rolls. Losing them and just yolo'ing it can be fun.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Having played through it now I can't disagree entirely, though DOS2 was also not really much of a multi replay affair to me. I did do it twice but the runs were quite similar, just with a different party. But yeah, BG3; it offers you the two paths at the first act right... I found myself doing both, because why on earth would I pass on valuable loot, XP and quest lines? There's a few more of those things - there being a 'get it all' solution to be found and then all the little changes in dialogue that you can enter into don't quite matter so much anymore. But damn, there are a lot of choices in the game. You can definitely get a lot out of multiple playthroughs. The second play I completed the game; the first I progressed up to act 3. There was so much I did differently - and so many hidden stuff I discovered that I was totally oblivious of the first time.

Its funny seeing all the complaints about the rolls. They didn't bother me. I do also play pen and paper D&D, so maybe that swings things into the favor of rolling D20s. I liked it. Its easy to nudge those rolls into your favor, but yeah, you have to stop and think about it for a second. But about halfway through the game, its really becoming simple to win everything.. provided you build the right party. Another thing is also, that you really don't have to win all the rolls. Losing them and just yolo'ing it can be fun.
My brother and I were playing a few hours last night.....the rolls were pissing us (me more so than my brother) off from the get go and through our whole time playing.

Warrior's turn in combat:
  • First attack: 95% chance to hit = miss.
  • Second attack: 95% chance to hit = critical miss
  • Use Action Surge
  • Third attack: 95% change to hit = miss
  • Fourth attack: 95% chance to hit = critical miss

Ranger's turn in combat:
  • First attack: 90% chance to hit = miss
  • Second attack: 90% chance to hit = HIT, 9 + 2 damage (11 total)
Bad guy's turn:
  • Uses Disarming attack on my fighter (who has 20 STR and +1 to STR saving throws) - successful! Now I'm disarmed
  • Attempts to shove my warrior - successful, now he's put me out of my range for Attack of Opportunity
  • Runs to my brother's character and slaps him around.
  • rinse and repeat the above over and over again
This happened consistently throughout every fight encounter. I missed so many times that my brother would run out of uses of his counter spells because I couldn't take down anyone, especially the casters. I'd get one or two hits between my guys - whereas I'd usually drop one or two bad guys my turn. Sadly though, for about 2.5 hours the same shit just kept happening over and over again. And to top it all off, these were bad guys that were 2-3 levels under us because we're just going through the mountain pass area for Lae'zel's side of the story with the Githyankies (apparently the point in the shadow land we were at she wouldn't progress with us in the story and leave the group if we didn't go back to find her people). We were getting our ass handed to us by way under leveled bad guys that we were struggling to survive most of the fights. It was awful. The only real saving grace was Astarion (brother's character) could get in with a sneak attack and just rock the bad guys. His cloak he wore would turn him invisible if he killed a target and then he'd position himself to kill another target on his next turn. He basically won most of the fights with his rogue and warlock.....I was nothing more than glorified pin cushions.

We had to do full rests after every encounter so my brother could get his spell slots back for his high level spells.

Then we get into the conversations.

Roll Choice in conversation: Successful roll requires 30 (dafuq? 30?) - that won't be happening without a natural 20
Next roll choice in a conversation: Successful roll requires an 11 (have a bonus of 7 so I need a roll of 4 or better to be successful)
  • First attempt: roll a 1 (Critical failure!)
  • Use an inspiration point, second attempt: roll a 1 (Critical failure!)
  • Use an inspiration point, third attempt: roll a 3 (with all bonuses only adds up to 10, Failure!)
We venture through a bit, earn back a couple of inspiration points as we slowly grind our way through.

Now my brother wants to try his luck in conversation: his character needs a 14 for success and his class allows for using the better of two rolls (with 4 bonus to add on, so he needs a roll of 10 to be successful)
  • First attempt: rolls a 4 and a 6, failure
  • Use an inspiration point, second attempt: rolls a 6 and a 7, failure
  • Use an inspiration point, third attempt: rolls a 2 and 4, failure
  • Use our last inspiration point, fourth attempt: rolls an 8 and a 6, failure

That was our whole night. The roll system gets very tiresome. Usually there is a balance in the game where you have a small run of bad rolls, but you eventually see a small run of great rolls and everything else falls in between so things stay balanced. But not last night. Every fight I was constantly whiffing when having a very high success rate to hit unless we could somehow manage to knock the bad guys prone and I wouldn't miss, it was awful and not fun.

The only upside to all the critical failures and low rolls we were getting was in the conversations, a couple of times something humorous would happen in the outcome. That wasn't enough to be the saving grace for our play time last night, though. After about 2.5 hours we got so fed up with it we stopped playing early and went on to a different game. We'll play again at a later time, but we had enough of it for a while.